Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Starting a thread for discussion / how-to of setting up a Genesis One charger with the "common" Fit LTO setup. The Genesis charger allows 1A charging up to one of six pre-configured set points. Genesis also has a built-in fan controller and temperature sensors.

An interesting side note is HybridRevolt removed the PTC monitoring circuit from their version of the Genesis charger.

If you have an LTO and are using a Genesis charger, could you chime in and share your experiences / configs? Are you using the Genesis temperature sensors or something else (or nothing at all)?

Related links:

·
Super Moderator
7,598 Posts
Just a quick response, and more tonight. I've been using one quite successfully to charge my LTO conversion.. One can set up a LTO profile in one of the 6 slots available. If set up properly, the Genesis will charge at 1 amp and stop charging automatically when a preset voltage is reached. More this evening on the actual settings for the LTO profile.

Genesis equipment (now from HybridRevolt) is quite expensive, so this would be a good option only if one already has the equipment, or can find a really good deal on the 1A charger. Discharger not needed of course.

·
Super Moderator
7,598 Posts
A little more discussion and food for thought on the subject of using the Genesis for purposes of LTO charging. First, let's acknowledge that it is an overly expensive approach if one is starting their charger "solution" from scratch. As Peter has indicated in another thread, there are existing designs which are much cheaper. So the discussion and information here is for those who already own the 1A Genesis, or can acquire a used one at a favorable price. That number of such people makes the subject worth discussion.

So, onward. So far as hookup locations, the standard Genesis hookup locations on the junction board are fine. These hookup locations still result in hooking the charger to the LTO pack positive and negative terminals. This is a solid harness installation and safe IMO. The harness is fused should some unlikely complication result, and provides a level of protection..

The temperature board will likely require some modification, Because the temperature board tests the NiMH PTC strip circuit for excess temperature in any one or more cells, then the absence of this sensor loop must be corrected by the use of a 12-20 ohm across the "input" pins. The remaining 2 temperature sensors, originally one for pack input and one for the output air flow, will likely shutdown charging at 100F, a wise default.

The fan board requires no modification, and will not impact fan operation, or fan choices made from the OBDII C&C, afaik. If the removable fan plug at the front of the original battery is disconnected, then those wires can, I think, be wired to whatever fan arrangement the owner desires. I "think" this would be a good source of 12V power for low current devices such as an Arduino.

I assume a charge shutoff of 180V(2.5V/cell) but the owner can substitute a lower voltage if desired.

The following setup discussion assumes version 3.0 of the S/W, the latest I believe. V3.0 is characterized by having two options fields to set up, vs. earlier versions which had one, and were more difficult to set up the discharge side - which is not needed for LTO. Cycle through the charger settings until one reaches the target profile location and make a note of the profile #. Edit that profile to a "cut back" voltage of 180V, and a maximum voltage of 180V. I don't think the options menu's have any effect on the charger in this simple charging mode.

IN MY OPINION, THE CHARGER SHUT DOWN AT 180V SHOULD BE MONITORED CLOSELY ON THE FIRST SUCH USE. I THINK THIS IS ALL CORRECT, BUT I MAY HAVE LEFT SOMETHING OUT. I'M WORKING FROM MEMORY.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts