Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,147 Posts
There is not a 0 or initialization point. The line two variables accessible by successive pushes on the left or right arrow, preferably the right, are in a loop. They just keep cycling as you keep pushing the right arrow. In addition, only the items, such as cutback voltages, that have the * included are editable. If there is no *, then the line can't be edited.

I played some with my charger this morning and I verified that the instructions in post #8 are correct. If you do a down arrow after turn-on you will activate the lower line. Then keep pushing the right arrow until you see the "Cut_backVP2*" . You now push edit to allow you to make changes, and edit again to enter the new value. One more right arrow will get you to "ChargStop VP2*" and you can edit that. IMO, both of these should be set to 180V. That way you get no cutback to 350ma until you reach 180V, AND you shut the charged down at 180V.

Like I said, the manual is rather poor. It is confusing in many places. The near interchangeable use of the term "setup" is causing problems here because it has one context on the control panel and another context in the "setup parameters" sequence. Follow what I'm saying. Don't try to take a mix of directions between me and the manual. I fought these battles with the manual a long time ago, and I never succeeded in getting the manual clarified;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok thank you Jime I will give your steps a go as soon as I have a few minutes to spare.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Super swamped at work today but wanted to drop this hear as I just discovered it:

If youtube "start at" time doesn't work, skip to 1:48

·
Super Moderator
8,147 Posts
It's a great video. A picture is worth a thousand words. That is Mike's voice on the video. (I don't have a smart phone, so videos are really hard for me to do.)

The manual pages aren't numbered(an archive of the fact the manual is unfinished), but if you number yours and go to page 46 , near back of manual, you will see two pages with a bunch or arrows indicating the sequence of the line 2 variables. Most of these variables aren't particularly relevant to LTO use, but you can see how they progress both on the top and bottom lines. There is also a glossary beginning on p54 which goes a long way is explain some of the abbreviations you see on the control panel.

Later: Your fan board doesn't really have anywhere to plug in, and that's not a problem for now. Also, you have to place a 12-22 ohm resistor across the PTC input on the temperature board. You can distribute the two thermocouples on the harness to points on the pack. If your cooling fan is working, you could put the input probe, the short one, near the fan output, and put the output probe somewhere else, perhaps near the back of the pack.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Edit that profile to a "cut back" voltage of 180V, and a maximum voltage of 180V.
jime, could I ask your reasoning behind having the cutback voltage bumped up to be equal to max voltage?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Separately, for anyone just as lost as I was when I first tried finding CutBack and MaxVoltage here are written instructions. Mike D's video earlier in this thread is very useful to watch as well.

1. Turn on Genesis One charger
  2. Press Setup
  3. Wait a second, then press Edit to enter the Change Profile menu
  4. Press down/up arrows to page through available Car Profiles
  5. Press Edit again to select the desired profile
  6. Press Stop to exit Setup
Now that you have the correct Car Profile selected:
  1. Press the down arrow to enter "Line 2 Active" mode. This is where you can view/edit "Cut-back VP1" (Cutback voltage*) and "ChgStop VP1" (Max Voltage*) and other settings.
    • Cutback voltage controls when charger switches from 1050mA to 350mA charging
    • Max Voltage - controls when charger ceases charging functions
  2. Use the left and right arrows to scroll through available options under Line 2 Active mode.
  3. When a desired variable is displayed, press the Edit button. This will allow you to change the variable value using the up/down arrow keys.
  4. After changing, press Edit button again to save the new value.
That's basically it for how to edit Cutback and Max Voltage.

·
Super Moderator
8,147 Posts
jime, could I ask your reasoning behind having the cutback voltage bumped up to be equal to max voltage?
Yes, you can ask. I'll even answer :LOL:

The cutback voltage is a function which reduces charging rate from 1A down to 350mA as charging proceeds. Mike's original theory was that it wouldn't be healthy to be in the balancing and topping phase at 1A. So, he implimented a cutback of charging current at whatever number is entered in the cutback variable setting. Most others have adopted the 350mA theory.

The problem in using the Genesis for LTO charging is that the 350mA rate is painfully slow and completely uneccessary. One of the advantages of LTO is rapid charging so there is no danger of charging at 1A all the way up to your upper voltage target. and it is three times as fast at the 350mA rate.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Should our inlet/outlet temperature setting be kept to default 140/140?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Moments after starting charge, the unit stops charging due to max charge voltage reached. The Cutback and Max Voltage are both configured at 176v. My ODBIIC&C shows that my pack currently has 166v.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,579 Posts
I think what you need is someone that is familar with the manual.
Jime where are you?
Maybe a phone call if he is willing.

·
Super Moderator
8,147 Posts
Moments after starting charge, the unit stops charging due to max charge voltage reached. The Cutback and Max Voltage are both configured at 176v. My ODBIIC&C shows that my pack currently has 166v.

Try measuring the pack voltage with a good voltmeter. If two measurements out of three are near the same, then suspect the third ;)

Do you have the extra voltage dropping resistor in series with the BCM fooler board??

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Try measuring the pack voltage with a good voltmeter. If two measurements out of three are near the same, then suspect the third ;)
will do

Do you have the extra voltage dropping resistor in series with the BCM fooler board?
Do you refer to Peter's Current Hack mod? If so, yes the single 240R 1w 0.1% resistor is installed in the BCM.

·
Super Moderator
8,147 Posts
Do you refer to Peter's Current Hack mod? If so, yes the single 240R 1w 0.1% resistor is installed in the BCM.
No, not that. Some folks put a single resistor of about 10K in series with the normal array of 10 resistors in the BCM fooler. It allows the BCM to think that the pack is at a lower voltage and causing more charging. It would also cause OBDII C&C reporting error is so configured.

Measure the pack voltage with a voltmeter to see what is going on.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Update:
Before pulling my IPU cover I thought to remove the Genesis One extension that goes from the IPU proper to the little shelf. Plugged in charger and did not get the immediate Max Voltage Reached error. It's continuing to charge now.

One side note, before starting charge process, the Genesis reported 167v while ODBIIC&C reported 164v.

·
Super Moderator
8,147 Posts
Completed first full charge cycle with Genesis One charger. All set here.
Were you using discharger to check battery capacity? Interesting to contemplate. I might do that. Balance is still an issue with an LTO pack, so you would have to keep checking individual cells with a meter so as not to push one cell too low. The total doesn't count as much as the individuals when it comes to balance. Without BMS it would be a lot of work but perhaps informative.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Were you using discharger to check battery capacity?
No, I just used the overall pack voltage as seen by Genesis One. I haven't checked individual pack voltages since installing my LTO setup earlier this year.

Without BMS it would be a lot of work but perhaps informative.
True, I'm watching @retepsnikrep 's LTO/canbus setup developments carefully. I have a harness to connect all my LTO canbus leads together, however I am a ways from modifying my ODBIIC&C. I believe @minor4326 may be the first U.S. member to have a go at this.

Here's Peter's LTO / BMS / CAN interface thread:

·
Administrator
11,586 Posts
One side note, before starting charge process, the Genesis reported 167v while ODBIIC&C reported 164v.
None of the cars voltage reporting systems are super accurate and can easily be a volt or two off either way.
Wiring loses/loads etc also play a part when voltage is being measured at different points.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Food for thought from Mike Dabrowski via email today:

One more thing to be aware of
Lithium batteries need a constant voltage that is regulated
And held steady at the end of the charge
This voltage is held and as the battery absorbs the current
Drops until almost no current flows
Nimh is different
The charger is designed for constant current
Charging of nimh
When the max voltage is reached (is a safety feature)it stops charging
For lithium the result will be an incomplete charge
Mike

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
More random info from mike dabrowski:

-------------------------------------------------------------

Voltage will fall back on the battery after the charger stops since the pack
Has not fully absorbed the charge
It may not be by much
When you charge with max charge volts at say175
When the charger stops after hitting that voltage
The voltage on the battery may drop to 170 volts

I would set the cutback volts to a few volts less than the max so the final topping is charging at slower 350 ma speed which
Will not need as much absorb and should minimize the absorb but will take longer
All of this is not a big deal just means that you have stored a bit less
Energy than you would have if the charger was a constant
Voltage type

21 - 40 of 40 Posts