Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a way to buy a genuine Honda PGM tester? I purchased a generic OBD II scan tool that works great for displaying DTC's and I/M readiness code status, but otherwise it's a very limited tool.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Its available by law.

IMO I'd suspect that your Honda parts source is a bit gun shy at this point with you. And dosen't want to get "stuck" with a multi-thousand dollar part.

The Source of my Engine Piston Slap
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=6435

Try shopping a different dealer.

You'll have to pay the same price as a dealership for it :shock: ;) IIRC 4-$5,000 for the handheld "Pocket PC" type and software bundle. Software updates extra :!: The "full" version, PC based with a few extra bells and whistles starts at $10K+.

And its not a "magic" tool. What your seeing as "limited" with your aftermarket scanner isn't vastly expanded on with the Honda tool either, just a bit better integrated with Honda systems. Except for some specific IMA/CVT monitors, data streams and SRS/ABS codes any good aftermarket scan tool will be _thousands_ less and functionally equivalent for _most_ powertrain diagnosis and repair. Such a tools value comes in knowing the cars systems, how they work, and correctly interpreting the tools information. ;) If you find that an aftermarket scanner isn't useful its more than likely an HDS scanner will only be _more_ confusing.

I use Auterra software for the Palm. There are others for the Pocket PC too. "Stand" alone OBDII scanners such as AutoXray have been extensively discussed in the forums.

Google is your friend. ;)

[Edit: added additional HDS functions I left out eariler, sorry]

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I have an Autel DS708 at under $1,000 it probably does 99% of the stuff the factory tool does plus it works on dozens of different makes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts