Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mostly I'm just happy to have got to work on less than a gallon of gas. I'm still learning how to really maximize my economy, but I got 64.9mpg on a 63.1mile drive to work this morning. I know that I won't get anywhere near that during my 2.5hour drive home in LA traffic, but I'm still happy.

I had to average around 60mph tailing behind a semi in order to get that figure, which was tough, considering I'm still used to driving my Chrysler 300m.

I'm happy, though!

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Just a rough guess, but you will probably save abot 5 gallons of fuel a day. At 2 dollars a gallon times 200 work days a year that would be $2,000 in after tax money saved per year. I'll bet it's more though! 8)

Of course we all know that you really bought it to save the environment, look cool, drive a 2 seat sporty car, reduce foreign oil dependancy, own a limited production historically significant piece of automotive history, and never have to worry about rust again. :wink:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
b1shmu63 said:
Just a rough guess, but you will probably save abot 5 gallons of fuel a day. At 2 dollars a gallon times 200 work days a year that would be $2,000 in after tax money saved per year. I'll bet it's more though! 8)

Of course we all know that you really bought it to save the environment, look cool, drive a 2 seat sporty car, reduce foreign oil dependancy, own a limited production historically significant piece of automotive history, and never have to worry about rust again. :wink:
I WISH gas was $2/gallon... more like $2.50 and that's the lowest it's been in some time.

I actually bought the car for a number of reasons, and you mentioned all of them. Rust isn't an issue in Southern California though :) I wanted to save money on gas, help the environment (not help really, but harm less) and didn't want to drive a generic econobox doing it. I have a 2002 Mazda Protege5 that gets a good 32ish mpg, but I opted to just go for the gold and get an insight!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
iibbmm said:
I had to average around 60mph tailing behind a semi in order to get that figure, which was tough, considering I'm still used to driving my Chrysler 300m.
Glad for you but, remember tailgating is illegal and dangerous, not only for you but for other people.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Resist said:
iibbmm said:
Glad for you but, remember tailgating is illegal and dangerous, not only for you but for other people.
Keep in mind that when I say tailing, I'm talking about a good 4 car lengths. There's a big difference between tailing and tailgating, in my opinion :).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been getting 60+ mpg in my CVT as well. I have a 54 mile drive to work every morning. My best to work has been 62.9mpg, and my best home has been 66.2mpg. In the last week, I've been averaging 60.8mpg.

I noticed a conciderable jump in fuel efficientcy shortly after I rolled over my first 10,000 miles. Also, with the warmer the weather, the better the milage.

I have pretty bad rush hour traffic myself around DC, and I've found the following to minimize my loss: stay in my lane, coast as much as I can during auto shut-off, and take advantage of the 16-22mph Gspot every chance I get (even if traffic around me is moving a little faster).

- Brenton

·
Registered
23 Posts
CVT Folks,

What speed have you found to be the absolute best for MPG (with and without A/C on)? It appears on my CVT it is somewhere between 55 and 63 mph and might vary a little with air temp and even whether the road is wet or not.

I have gotten 76 mpg on one 46-mile commute in suburban Atlanta traffic when I left VERY early and could "drive the load" and pick my speeds.

Jimbeemer :)

2003 CVT

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
That sounds pretty fast to me. I'm finding more like 40 is best for my MT car. Wind resistance gets important fast when you get going much over that...

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
I would lean closer to Dougie's number of 40 MPH but I would say 45 MPH
in my area (A/C off mostly)...Best temps...anything over 70 degrees.

Very lite rain OK... Heavy...terrible - down 5 - 10 MPG...

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, I have an 01 CVT with LMPG of 64.3 MPG at 26500miles. During the Summer I regularly get high 70's to low 80's on my 15 mile commute home at average trip speed of about 35 mph with a best of 86 MPG. This time of year I average about 70 mpg and during the winter about 60 MPG I live in North Dallas. Driven carefully the CVT is Capable of some pretty decent figures, I did a 367 mile trip back from the Hill country last year averaging 60 MPH on the road and 65.7 MPG.
I have kept daily records of trip milage, MPG average MPH of trip and wind speed/direction and temperature since I got the car and is amazing what a difference temperature and win speed/direction can make to your mileage.

Enjoy your insights

David b

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
What don't have any stop signs or lights to contend with during those trips? Wish I could find a strip of road with low speed limits without intersections to to reduce my mpg gains.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Resist, I have 9 Traffic Lights and one stop sign on my 15 Mile Commute with speed limits varying from 35 to 55 mph, so its not exactly a smooth run. Lights are actually a lot better as you can time them some of the time hate stop signs they kill mileage.

David B

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The lights near my house are timed for "regular" cars, so if you follow the hypermileager acceleration schedule you get to the next light just as it turns yellow. Argh!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I HATE when that happens

...if you follow the hypermileager acceleration schedule you get to the next light just as it turns yellow.
That's annoying! Especially in the construction zone on the way home from work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts