Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Scangauge, and I am wondering if anyone knows how to query the car for the outside temperature sensor reading?

Frank.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't mean the sensor in the cab. I mean the sensor in front of the radiator. This sensor must be read by the "system" since the car won't Auto Stop if the outside temperature is below some value.

I have just received my service manual, but I haven't had a chance to do much more than skim it yet.

Frank.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Yup we're talking apples to apples here Frank. ;)

The climate control system sends the autostop override signal to the PCM ( IIRC :?: ) Need ths same signal for auto vs. econ too.

The OEM Honda scanner _and_ its propritary software _may_ be able to "read" this temperature in some form or fashion. But AFAIK there is no aftermarket scanner with the ability.

AFAIK on a cold start is the only way you'll read ambient temp. When the IAT and ECT will be equivalent to it.

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
On my last road trip I just brought along a cheap indour/outdoor thermometer with BIG numbers and ran the tiny wire out through the widow and rolled it up. It was 87 degrees outside and 43 degrees comming through the AC vent, thanks perhaps in part to some extra insulating on the AC lines. 8) 8) 8) I was practicing pulse and fried technique with the AC. Four clicks of the fan button = arctic chill, then a tap of the off button. Brrrrrr, bracing! It helped to keep me going on the 760 mile stretch from Windsor to Minneapolis. :D

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Try this: Hold down AUTO and MODE while turning on the key, and the A/C display flashes between two numbers. Press the rear window defogger (leftmost) button to advance to the next sensor.

The first number is the sensor:
1 = in car temp
2 = outside temp
3 = sun sensor
4 = engine coolant tmperature
5 = evaporator temp
6 = air mix opening %
7 = vent temp out
8 = something about the fan
9 = vehicle speed

For the temperature sensors the reading is in degrees C. If a sensor is disconnected or shorted, it displays "Er".

·
Registered
495 Posts
Try this: Hold down AUTO and MODE while turning on the key, and the A/C display flashes between two numbers. Press the rear window defogger (leftmost) button to advance to the next sensor.
Dougie;

Where did you come up with that, i.e., the sensor numbers?

Fred

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is described in the service manual. I just got mine and saw this too in the section about the climate control.

For $75.00 the service manual is a pretty good investment. Albeit a very hefty tome.

Frank.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Just Frank said:
This is described in the service manual. I just got mine and saw this too in the section about the climate control.
For $75.00 the service manual is a pretty good investment. Albeit a very hefty tome.
For what it's worth, I tried that the other day - very interesting!

And by the way, thanks for the tip!

Fred :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
i tried this and got some interesting results. #6 air mix opening%=A3, what does that mean? also, #7 vent temp out = 04, is that the temp of the air coming out of the dash vents? #8=61 to 85, depending on the dial setting, i'm not sure what that means.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts