Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey folks. thanks to benjamin for getting me logged in - i have been a silent party on this site for a while now :)

this is going to be a long first entry, so bear with me. but if you're bored at the moment, this will at least provide you with something to read :lol:

i am VERY seriously considering buying an insight, in fact i have dealers looking throughout northern california for a 5 spd with air.

here's my deal - i drive 130 miles roundtrip on my commute - or about 600 miles per week. for the last 4 + years i did this drive in a mazda miata, because i wanted to enjoy the drive so it would seem like less of a burden. i got about 28 mpg and enjoyed some of the twisties on my trek from sausalito into wine country. my drive is 90% highway, with the rare stop light interruption. most of that 90% is on one lane roads, keeping with the flow of traffic around 65mph.

a few months ago i bought a honda s2000, thinking it would be my dream car. i have a long history with small hondas (crx, civic, integra) and had loved the miata for over 5 yrs. the only thing holding me back a little from the s2000 was that in '00, i had an acura integra stolen and totally stripped - only 2 months after i moved to san francisco. i figured that now that i was out of the city, another sporty honda would be safe. well, one week after i bought the s2000, it was stolen! they took a bunch of parts off it, but it has since been pieced back together and is now my daily driver. i get about 26mpg and pay $230/month in gas.

needless to say, i have never quite adjusted to this car, even though the engine is a true joy to rev out. but the car feels more like a prelude to me than a crx... my tendency has been to bond with the smallest, lightest 4 cyl hatchbacks i could find. the s2000 just feels ostentatious to me - i dont mind getting attention, just as long its the right kind ;)

i wont drive my s2000 into the city, and if i got an RSX i wouldnt drive that in either (cause of theft). i just want to leave the windows down, door unlocked... no leather seating, heck - i actually prefer steel wheels to alloys. i just want a new(ish) sporty, 2 door hatch with great gas mileage, thats fun to drive and is down to earth with no worries.

so here i am, in this confused state on what to do. the s2000 just doesnt feel right, i have looked at RSX-S but they are basically the integra (which was already stolen), and there is always the miata. but the insight really reminds me of my old 88 crx hf, and i feel like i could really use a more relaxed commute. even tho its fun driving sporty, i can feel my blood pressure at a boil on the drive.

there is a HUGE financial gain in getting the insight over the s2000... i figure i will save $300-400 a month between gas, car payment and insurance. thats always nice... in fact, it could pay for unlimited yoga classes. an insight and yoga - how meditative and cleansing.

BTW, i am not interested in keeping the s2000 on the side for the weekends (as every s2000 owner recommends) because on the weekends, its just me, my wife and our pug riding around going VERY slowly through californias backroads.

anyone think im crazy for considering this change? :freak1:

thanks for any feedback.
bM

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
It sounds to me like you're well suited for an Insight. See if you can find one on the dealer lots (not easy) and get a test drive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey tim - i test drove an insight a couple years back and i recall liking it... the only insight in my area is a CVT, and i KNOW i wont like that one (im very loyal to manual shifts).

you know whats kinda funny, is that i have always love the look of the insight. even the rear skirts... i think the skirts cover any potential wheel gap (distance from top of tire to bottom of fender) and make the car look a little lower. definitely like a futuristic crx.

anyway, there are 5 spds in my area. if anyone on this board lives in the bay area and wants to sell their insight, let me know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oops - i mean there are NO 5 spds in my area. there is one 100 miles away, but it has almost 70k miles. i am looking for 30k and below...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Welcome to the forum webmaecker :wink: and a HELLO from Germany.

I absolutely DON'T think you're crazy, of wanting to swap the S-2000 for an Insight. I've owned two CRXes (89 and 90 model, 90 and 109 hp) myself and tend to think of the Insight as the BETTER CRX.

You need to have a look for yourself, if you're willing to step back a little horsepower-wise. 164 hp to be precise.....

Go to your local Honda-dealer and take one for a spin. For a weekend preferably and you'll see, that for all this time you've missed out on something :shock:

·
Registered
228 Posts
I was halfway out the door on my way to NorCal until I realized you didn't want to TRADE someone the S2000 for an Insight!

I thought I would be disappointed with my CVT (over a 5-spd). Instead, almost a year later, I am still loving every minute of 60+ MPG 8)

Good luck in your search (and let me know if you're interested in the swap thing!)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TRADE someone the S2000 for an Insight!
:lol:

to some degree, that is what i am doing. i owe the current kbb trade in value, and plan to drop it off at a dealer and just step into a loan on an insight. its just that what i owe right now is higher than a brand new insight...

boy, these cars are really hard to find. i have been looking for weeks... i have heard stories of people flying to pick up their car, or having it shipped. makes the car that much more mysterious i guess.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It is like I am hearing my self speaking !!
It took 5 cars to convince myself that the Insight is the car made for me !!
Just try one for over the weekend. After that, you are thinking for the rest of the time what ever you want to buy after you used the Insight for many many years, and even after that there is still no better car :roll:
Insight is like climbing the Mnt.Everest, once you are on the top, you don't want to come down !! :wink: Just think that the Insight is not a racer but a fuel problem eraser !!!!
Keep us posted about your final decision, good luck with that !!!!
I wish I was in your shoes right now, just the tought of buying an Insight, how many Insight owners can remember that top of the hill feeling when they bought the Insight ?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Well it sounds like you pretty much like you convinced yourself didn't you? The only problem now is actually finding an Insight. At the moment they are really hard to find. I've been In a S2000 before a few times and will say for what your looking to use it for it's a reasonable change. The big difference you'll find between the two is the Insight will be more like a roomy normal car compared to the pod like S2000. Getting in and out is much easier. Most people are suprised how light on it's feet the Insight is as well. You will still be able to have some fun on those twisty windey roads, but not as much as the S. They are two different animals, the S is rear wheel drive, the Insight front so you'll have to get used to front wheel drive again.

I would suggest keeping the S around as a toy, but you said you aren't interested in doing so. Shout, I'd love to have a S2000 as a toy myself.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Another option would be buy a CRX. :idea: You should be able to find a nice clean CRX that hasn't had many mods done to it. Then just buy a new engine/trans and have it tuned for MPG. This could be done cheaply or if you go all out with new suspension and interior you still should come out less $$$ than a new Insight.

I like my Insight but I sometimes wish I had bought an CRX. I test drove a S2000 and I didn't like it at all. Would be fun to abuse but not own 8)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey guys, how is the wind buffeting in the insight? i have read about the insight having trouble with cross winds, but when i do a search on "wind" on this site, nothing comes up.

just curious cause we do get some storms rolling through the bay area, and want to be sure the little car doesnt get blown into other lanes (i have read that they do just that).

thanks
bM

G

·
Hi Webmaecker:

___I cannot say if you will notice it as much as you would suspect but ~ 1/3 of my daily commute is though a part of Illinois that is itself part of larger geographical phenomena called “Tornado Alley”. I have driven the Insight in frontal and cross wind gusts approaching 45 mph and it is easier to hold in its own lane then the 03 Corolla. Both aren’t that great in comparison to the Ranger or MDX however. I have heard the 04 Prius has trouble with cross winds as well? It might be the relatively clean aerodynamics of all 3 vehicles (Insight, Corolla, and Prius) causing a cross wind instability issue that you may have read about? If so, all cars and trucks will probably perform worse under that condition then their predecessors given the cleaner lines either here today or coming in the very near future?

___I can bet some of the Texas panhandle and Oklahoma Insight owners would have a few more things to say about this topic given their experience behind the Insight’s windscreen in far higher winds then I have traversed so far …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:qp3bxnfh][email protected][/email:qp3bxnfh]

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
People love to make up stories.

i don't know of any Insight that actually blew into another lane. When you run with the stock tires pumped up, you can feel strong winds a lot more than in a big heavy car, but you don't lose control and slip all over the road like a hockey puck on fresh ice as some would imply.

The bigger complaint is the sticking in tracks (tram-lining) which can actually move your car a bit if you aren't careful.

Both of these are solved if you swap to wider and/or stickier tires.

I am now running 185/60 Yokohama E100s and haven't felt any wind influences at all or been stuck in any track since the swap. If you find that a problem, then swap your tires out. Likely, you won't find it a real danger, just a nuisance to keep you alert.

I went with sticky, but I hope some people out there are trying larger tires with high rolling resistance and will report back about that end of the tire spectrum. That might interest you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im trying to remember where i read that. here is a clip from edmunds.com editor review:

"But the effort to save weight drag pays a price in the handling department. The Insight is highly susceptible to crosswinds and the narrow tires easily track any groove in the pavement, causing the driver to adjust the steering continually to compensate."

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah, my guess is its overrated too... people are always looking for excuses to not do the right thing :lol: it just makes them feel that much better about commuting in a 7000 lb SUV

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,609 Posts
The easiest solution is to "DON"T OVERCORRECT" if you feel a "wiggle".

Keep the front end pointed in the right direction and the rear end will follow.

The majority of "roll over" accidents are due to the driver overcorrecting the slide of the vehicle.

I drive daily on grooved Calif. highways and have experimented with different tires. (Now run OEM tires on front and larger Goodyears on the rear. Mostly eliminated the "wiggle". Sometimes get a "twitch" but never to the point that it is a safety issue.

The tires aren't the fault, it's the "track" of the vehicle.

"My opinion"

·
Registered
29 Posts
webmaecker, I've lived all of my life in Northern California up until recently, and I can tell you that in my opinion you've got nothing at all to worry about when it comes to wind and the Insight where you are.

I've driven my Insight in a couple of pretty tough storms out here in Missouri and you can feel it certainly, but not much more than any other car. Driving in a California storm would be like having your passanger sneeze in my opinion compared to some of the storms out here.

I think you'll be just fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
uh oh... i have the acura dealer calling me with some really good prices on an RSX S, they are even trying to get me an A-Spec...

problem is, there are NO low mileage insights within 300 miles of here. do i really have to drive/fly to L.A. just to get this car? i would really like to do something soon...

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I agree. I didn't mean to imply that the car actually even moved in winds, just that you can feel a wind sometimes and more than in a 4000 lb sportscar.

You feel winds a lot more in a tippy SUV than an Insight.

Feeling winds in an Insight is not the same as being moved around by them! I've never been in any winds that I felt actually moved the car off of the direction I was driving.

Tracking can do that a bit in the perfect sized ruts, but as we've said, tracking is an annoyance and can be fixed with a little wider tires.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Welcome! I notice you have problems with vehicle theft. Before you jump at an RSX, I had better tell you that no-one, to the best of my knowledge, as ever had an Insight stolen. Probably just plain ignorance about the car means that the thieves avoid it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.