Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i saw the guys thread below me about him trying to get the car down as low a price as possible. well the one i am going to look at is a 2000 model, 80,000 miles, and they want $12,000 for it. somehow i think thats a lil steep for 80,000 miles.

my friend and i are going to look at the car and test it tomorrow but i am too afraid to bargain with a dealer, i am just afraid i will look like a tard....i am 20 yrs old by the way...but i saw some stuff in the thread below about trying to tell them its an old car, parts are hard to find, if the battery craps out it will cost an arm and a leg and crap. but the dealer is a chevy/pontiac dealer....i bet they probably hate hondas with a passion but do you think i could throw the ole "well the honda warranty is about to run out on this thing, the 80/000 mile warranty" the car has like 79,XXX miles actually. do you think i could throw that out even though you and i know they extended the warranty to 10years/150,000 miles? i mean he isnt probably gonna know what i am talking about. and one last question, what do you think would be a reasonable price to ask being that it has 80,000 miles? i thought like 8000-9000 would be appropriate. do you think they would finance it for 4 years also?

much help appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
That price sounds steep to me. I would check the values on nada, kbb, and edmunds to see some different values. One thing that is important but easier said than done is to not get "married" to the car. Determine what you would be willing to pay and tell the dealer your number. If they dont go for it just tell them to call if they change their minds. Remind them that you are ready to buy now and you will be looking at other cars so dont wait too long.

good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don't forget that your average American pontiac shopper has a low chance of going "Ooh! look its a Honda Insight! Forget showing me the new G6 or the used GMC Yukons!" hence 6 mos on the lot. Consider showing them ebay listings.... or other classifieds (autotrader.com) to compare mileage equipment and price...

·
Registered
466 Posts
i saw the guys thread below me about him trying to get the car down as low a price as possible. well the one i am going to look at is a 2000 model, 80,000 miles, and they want $12,000 for it. somehow i think thats a lil steep for 80,000 miles.

I would have to agree that that price is significantly high. You can't blame them for asking what they want, should someone pay this then they did the right thing. This has absolutely NO effect on what you could offer and what they might accept.

my friend and i are going to look at the car and test it tomorrow but i am too afraid to bargain with a dealer, i am just afraid i will look like a tard....i am 20 yrs old by the way...

Take breath and relax. I've met many people older than you that have no idea about negotiating and people your age that were very skilled. The bottom line is have your research done and stick to your price. In the end they will either accept it or not. Age has nothing to do with it and the fact that you may think you look retarded plays no part in this whatsoever.

To give you some more ammo, I bought my silver '00 last August w/ 32K miles for $8500. Being this car is on a Pontiac lot they ultimately do not want to there as it is not their brand. If not sold soon they will likely "wholesale" it at auction prices, which is probably just over what they gave for the trade-in.

but i saw some stuff in the thread below about trying to tell them its an old car, parts are hard to find, if the battery craps out it will cost an arm and a leg and crap. but the dealer is a chevy/pontiac dealer....i bet they probably hate hondas with a passion but do you think i could throw the ole "well the honda warranty is about to run out on this thing, the 80/000 mile warranty" the car has like 79,XXX miles actually. do you think i could throw that out even though you and i know they extended the warranty to 10years/150,000 miles? i mean he isnt probably gonna know what i am talking about. and one last question, what do you think would be a reasonable price to ask being that it has 80,000 miles? i thought like 8000-9000 would be appropriate. do you think they would finance it for 4 years also?

"telling" them what they already know doesn't help you. Go there with the KBB and Edmund's private sale prices and stick to that. Don't move from those prices and likely you will have a deal lots below their dream price. Don't try to be slick as they have far more experience then you do and know that crap well. Stick to facts and your price. Do not let them try to goad you into simply negotiating the monthly payment but rather stick strictly to negotiating the purchase price only. As far as warranty goes, realize that alone is something they make the highest profit on so they will try to push you into buying it from them often at +300% mark-up.

Drive it, agree on a conditional price then let them know that this is only contingent on it passing a Honda pre-purchase inspection. By law you must leave them at least $1 to hold both the car and price. Do not let them run your credit prior to your completely negotiating the purchase price as this will put a ding on your credit score.

If for any reason you feel they are pushing you into something you are not sure of tell them you have to think about it and will get back with them, they hate people verifying their pressure tactics thus they rely on impulsive buying.

Good luck,

Steve

much help appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
702 Posts
i bought my 2000 insight just a couple months ago with 94000 miles on it for roughly $9k

$12k is VERY steep

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bought my '00 with 87k for $8500 - new IMA at 80k, so I thought it was reasonable. KBB said I shouldn't pay more than $8100, but they would have a hard time reconciling the new IMA.

$12k is about 50% too high.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Just bought mine for under 9k -mint condition - New batteries, BCM & MCM via Honda Warranty 82K miles on it.
12K is way too high. Print the edmunds used car analysis and take it with you. It should come out to around 8400.00 if the car is in great shape.

Oh also it's almost the end of the month - Dealers love to sell cars at the end of the month. If you live in NE Ohio I'd be happy to help ya. I've been negotiating this stuff for years. There's a good story about when I bought my last Honda (my wife's 04 Pilot) but that's anothe story.

Good Luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i live in virginia....thanks anyway lol. but my biggest fear is that i will pay like 8-9000 for it and something terribly wrong happens. something too costly ya know. now if the ima or something messes up, honda will cover it for free, labor and all, under the 150,000 mile warranty right? i am torn between this or a 2007 toyota yaris thats around $11,000 with 17,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
I bought my Insight for a few reasons
1 - I've wanted one for almost 7 years

2- I needed a third car

3 - I neeeded to find a way to save more money

Adding a third car with my teenage driver, raises my insurance rates big time.

A car like the Yaris would have cost me an additional 100 per month to insure over the Insight. The gas savings on the Insight will cover my cost of insuring a third car.

Check the cost of insurance for all vehicles you consider. The insight was pretty low to insure up on the North Coast.

Cheers
Wayne

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well my family has state farm insurance and i checked to see and they said around 300 a month! for full coverage. thats a lot...

so i did a quote from geico, my own policy and what not, the minimum requirements for va, and like a 500 deductible on coll and comp, and it came to like 180 a month. i think that would be the best choice. but i also checked about a yaris and it was like 180 a month also. i am just afraid if i got an insight with 80,000 miles something terrible would happen. i would probably keep my 97 cavalier just to be on the safe side so i had an extra ride..and just keep it on my parents insurance (its in their name anyway and i have to pay like 50 bucks for liability) but i just dont wanna be screwed over if i decide to get an insight. so my question is would the difference in gas of what i am paying now and if i got an insight be worth it in the long run.....

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
noleyo said:
so my question is would the difference in gas of what i am paying now and if i got an insight be worth it in the long run.....
You've not given us any data to answer that question. Nor is it "high" math. Try it for yourself. ;)

Its almost always better to keep your older car than "trade" _simply_ based on MPG and cash savings (unless you drive a lot).

But there are many other factors, condition of current car, future price of gas etc. that can't be accurately forseen. If its time to get a "newer" car you can do a lot worse than an Insight.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well my current car is a 97 cavvy, 115,000 miles. it runs alright i guess, i want something a lil newer and better on gas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts