Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally removed a plug today. My block is marked for "B" index plugs. What I removed from one cylinder #3, I believe (closest to driver side) was an Autolite double platinum 5523.

Have no idea how long they have been in there, but the one looked pretty good. No oil fouling or spot staining. Even tan color on the electrode. Did not measure the gap. Car runs fine.

Wondering whether I'll see improved mileage?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I changed mine and saw improvement with valve adjustment. I believe that the previous owner had just some random plugs in it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It was gradual,went from 42.6 to 47mpg right b4 my battery went bad. Now it sits,until I decide what to do with it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today's average mileage read out stood at 50.4, but that was for a ten mile, local trip. Wondering if I can expect any improvement from OEM plugs. Whether, OEM or not, they will be new plugs, so I may seem some marginal increase just from new versus OEM.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I replaced my plugs with OEM last winter, and torqued them to matching index per the service procedure. Had also adjusted the valves a month or so prior. Old plugs were Honda and the correct index, but had clearly been in there for quite some time. I noticed immediate improvements in drivability and some improvement in mileage, but if your aftermarket plugs are in decent shape it may not change as much for you. OE plugs are pricey, but don't need to be changed very often at all. For me it was worth the peace of mind knowing when the plugs had been changed last and knowing I'm not losing any efficiency or reliability there.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I’d also say that the folks that would see most improvement with OEM, properly indexed plugs would be those that have leanburn. Every little bit helps in that range. Regular CVT probably similar to anyone replacing old plugs. But, I still like knowing I’ve got the correct thing in the correct place!

Reactions: v-raze

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I am doing it more for a baseline since the car came with no service history.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Today's average mileage read out stood at 50.4, but that was for a ten mile, local trip. Wondering if I can expect any improvement from OEM plugs. Whether, OEM or not, they will be new plugs, so I may seem some marginal increase just from new versus OEM.
Adjust valves and should also improve gas mileage.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I just ordered a valve cover gasket, so that's on the docket.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The valve adjustment appears pretty straightforward from what I read.

·
Super Moderator
8,577 Posts
Before drawing before/after conclusions, note that the tempereature is dropping rather quickly in many parts of the country right now. Insight MPG is super sensitive to temperature. Probably wrong time of year to be drawing conclusions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Before drawing before/after conclusions, note that the tempereature is dropping rather quickly in many parts of the country right now. Insight MPG is super sensitive to temperature. Probably wrong time of year to be drawing conclusions.
Agreed! I would still compare my notes after work is done.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Even worse, I am going to change two variables at more or less the same time, since I will do a valve adjustment too.

Science be damned!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, so I have the indexed plugs. I see the black mark on the porcelain insulator. The plugs I am removing are generic, so they lack index marks.

Two questions:. 1) How should the black mark be oriented; 2) how do I see the index marks with the plug down in the spark plugs well?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I misspoke. The black mark is on the metal just below the porcelain insulator.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok, so I have the indexed plugs. I see the black mark on the porcelain insulator. The plugs I am removing are generic, so they lack index marks.

Two questions:. 1) How should the black mark be oriented; 2) how do I see the index marks with the plug down in the spark plugs well?

Thoughts?
When I did mine I used a permanent marker to put a mark higher up on the plugs so I could see it with the plug in the engine using an inspection mirror. Follow the procedure in the service manual to install and torque them to specification (and use anti-seize) and they should all end up pointing in relatively the same direction. It's been a while since I did mine, but I believe the opening of the plug should be pointed towards the intake valve on the left (driver's in the US) side of the vehicle. May have been passenger's side intake valve though. It's not critically important that they be indexed properly, but it may help your engine run more efficiently, and operate in lean burn more frequently for those with manual cars.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So I got the new plugs in this morning. Average MPG is up to 54.7 from 51.4. Ok, so it is a little warmer today than it was last night, but I think the plugs are accounting for most of the gain. Old plugs were Autolite double platinums of unknown age/ mileage, although there was rust on the plug threads, the electrodes didn't look horrible.

Don't know if plugs are properly indexed since my torque wrench doesn't go low enough.

I'm a believer in the OEM plugs.

By the way, 54.7 = lifetime average for the car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts