Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking a 17-18 hour trip down to Florida, all highway. What would be a good speed to average, not going too slow to piss people off and not too fast as the MPG will drop drastically? I'm thinking 65 might be okay, but is there much of a difference between 65 and 70? Going 70 will save me over an hour. I've tried testing on the highway for a few 9 mile stretches, but it must not be long enough to average out, as both 65-70 showed the same mpg. Anyone have any info?

-Mike

·
Registered
622 Posts
for the last three years i've done 1-2 round trip drives per year from TX to NY ... i put cruise control on at 70mph and pass at 75mph ... trouble free

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Taking a 17-18 hour trip down to Florida, all highway. What would be a good speed to average, not going too slow to piss people off and not too fast as the MPG will drop drastically? I'm thinking 65 might be okay, but is there much of a difference between 65 and 70? Going 70 will save me over an hour. I've tried testing on the highway for a few 9 mile stretches, but it must not be long enough to average out, as both 65-70 showed the same mpg. Anyone have any info?

-Mike
What kind of car are you driving? A hummer or a G1 Insight? ;)

Basically, the slower the better. But I usually drive the speed limit so there shouldn't be too much problem with people complaining.

http://forkenswift.com/album/24-graph-speed-mpg-insight.jpg

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
That chart is exactly the info I'm looking for! any chance someone made one for the G2?
Ah so, you arn't driving a hummer. :p

You might want to add a little info about your car because when you use "New Posts" on this site you don't know where the post was originally posted but we can look at the signature lines and see what info people put there.

Anyway:
I just did a goggle image search for "gas mileage vs speed insight" and found a lot of images including that graph (which I knew was on the web somewhere). Try the same search but add the year of your car.

Have fun on your trip.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah so, you arn't driving a hummer. :p

You might want to add a little info about your car because when you use "New Posts" on this site you don't know where the post was originally posted but we can look at the signature lines and see what info people put there.

Anyway:
I just did a goggle image search for "gas mileage vs speed insight" and found a lot of images including that graph (which I knew was on the web somewhere). Try the same search but add the year of your car.

Have fun on your trip.
Ooops, didn't know that, will put car info next time. You couldn't pay me to drive a Hummer at 10mpg, lol. Our other vehicle is a GMC Envoy which is probably pretty close to a hummer's MPG, but mainly only driven when we need to pull a trailer or haul something large. Looks like it would cost roughly $550-600 round trip, yikes. Should be about $160-200 with the Insight. It still puts a smile on my face when I fill the the car up and see it was only $28.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
It still puts a smile on my face when I fill the the car up and see it was only $28.
There's a stretch of 6 lane road here where you go about 1 mile between stop lights. At the first light a souped up new Corvette pulled up alongside of me and when the light turned green he took off in a cloud of exhaust.

I pulled up along side of him at the next light and his car sounded great with a race cam at a fast idle. I checked my dash to make sure my car was in autostop and suddenly the thought occurred to me that he is probably using more fuel at this stop light than it took me to get here from the last stop light! :D

·
Registered
831 Posts
I drove our Insight from Raleigh, NC where we bought it to our house near Portland, Maine 99% on Interstates and Turnpikes at posted speed limits and the silly car averaged 50 mpg for the trip. It isn't even broken in yet! Plus, during the trip, the car went from 72 degrees when we started to 12 degrees when we arrived home. Polar Vortex weather.

Around 65 mph the Insight was indicating 49 to 50 mpg for the most part... at 70 to 75 it would dip to 46 to 48 or so. Closer to 60 mph it went up and seemed to stay 50 to 55 mpg at steady state cruise control driving.

Something that few people think about... and I'll share. Our hybrids get great mpg, so you can cheat by actually going a tad slower than the speed limit and still save even more trip time! Just stay in the right lane when you do that.

As gas prices climb, I've noticed that a lot of drivers slow up some on the Interstates. You'll have plenty of company and usually the speed is 62 to 65 or so. And be assured that you'll see some of the faster traffic passing you more than once during the trip, mostly because they are burning a lot more fuel and have to stop a lot more often.

By extending the driving time, since you're not stopping for fuel as often, you save time. When you do stop for fuel, make that stop count, fuel, food, pit stop and a quick stretch! The stretch is important.

If you go faster than posted speed limit, you will end up stopping for fuel more often. Those stops really eat up time, since you have to slow down when you exit the interstate, find a place go gas up... that's when you spend a while at zero miles per hour during the actual stop, and then you have the slow drive back to the interstate.

Your car has the capability of traveling about 500 miles on a tank of gas. The average car on that same highway usually has to stop more often. Time advantage... Insight!

Steady speed, well inflated tires, and take only what you really need for the trip, to save as much weight as possible.

Do let us know how you do on this trip. Here's hoping you get a good tail wind on both legs of your drive!

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
For mpg Id say 55. For time vs being a road hazzard at least 70. Since you are likely to go from gas station to gas station you are going to average higher mpg than with mix city/highway. Id suggest trying to avoid use of the ac as that can eat into your mpg. Also block your lower grill for more aero.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I kept it at 62-65 in the right lane and had no problems as a block. There were plenty of cars and trucks doing the same speed... flyers were zooming by in left lanes, as they should have been.

Got great mpg at those speeds and huge range, with 2 gas stops at meal times.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Sounds like Rush you are average. Those who break 3 digits abuse lean burn and use it in a P&G technique. They hover around 50 mph as an average speed.

They also have a rather healthy ima system from a recent battery replacement or conditioning.

I've never been able to get those MPG... I can sometimes see 60-70mpg when traveling fast, 60+, but my average is about 55mpg. Lifetime is at 56, here in AZ I use the AC in the summer to help my bat pack, which really kills my mpg.

·
Premium Member
9,769 Posts
Terrain also is a big factor........ One of the INSIGHTERS here at ICN has also said he has never been over 55mph. Yes he is a 3 digiter.

Willie

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
VA is talking about raising the speed limits to 85. If he went 55 mph as is on most roads around here he end up with the power train in his lap and the ima system sandwiched behind him.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Whenever I drive the Insight I go like a bat out a hell and get 38 MPG. That's good right? Especially with the A/C blasting. On a road trip I got close to 40 once.

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
Basically, the slower the better. But I usually drive the speed limit so there shouldn't be too much problem with people complaining.

http://forkenswift.com/album/24-graph-speed-mpg-insight.jpg
As a hypermiler myself, this kind of discussion always interest me. The graph is pretty easy to exceed by a well trained hypermiler - under near perfect conditions. Fuel economy(FE) on the G1 Insight is devilishly difficult to quantify. There is a very long list of factors determining FE, even ignoring the most important factor, the nut behind the wheel.

In an approximate priority order, I feel these things influence FE:
1. Speed
2. Temperature
3. Lean burn percentage
4. Traffic conditions to include the number of stops
5. A/C use
6. Terrain
7. Tire pressure(hypermilers run 60-80 lbs.)
8. Aero Mods

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I've never been able to get those MPG... I can sometimes see 60-70mpg when traveling fast, 60+, but my average is about 55mpg. Lifetime is at 56, here in AZ I use the AC in the summer to help my bat pack, which really kills my mpg.
I've been able to match those [graph] numbers below 53 mph. I haven't tried the faster speeds because I'm almost always in urban traffic, mostly light some moderate.

Actually being in traffic, as long as it's moving along, helps my mpg quite a bit because of what I call "inadvertent drafting". I've seen as high as 120 mpg at 72 mph in lean burn when alongside of a semi truck. Even a small tail wind is a big help. Stoplights are my nemesis.

I've also seen as high as 140 mpg at 30 mph. And I checked the road in both directions and got the same mileage. But generally on that road I get ~120 mph, no A/C, none or a small amount of background charging, no radio and [heaven forbid] no headlights on. :)

It seems that now that the air temperature is between 70 and 80°F that my mileage has gone up since last summer (90+°). But my secret is that I am now using Marvel Mystery oil in the gas (4oz to a tank) and in the oil. I also use 55/50 psi in the RE92s.

·
Registered
831 Posts
RE92s rated for 55 psi? That's up there! How's the ride?

·
Premium Member
9,769 Posts
I run hi pressure also 55+. You can run over a dime and tell if it is heads or tails .

You will feel every bump in the road.

Willie

1 - 20 of 60 Posts