Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've found a good way to cool the whole car during the summer. A 12v solar powered fan placed in the rear bumper above the license plate.

The solar powered fan is on ebay. The solar panel could be placed anywhere. You would need the two peice system.

The fan would be placed in the rear bumper. There is a nice huge opening above the license plate that would be perfect for the air exhaust. Ideally you would need to cut a small vent in rear storage bin. The lid would also need to be left open. Though I'm sure air would still be sucked out if the lid was closed because there is plenty of gaps around the battery compartment.

Second ideal for fan would be to insert the fan into the cars vent system. This would allow use of the cars vent just below the windsheild.

Several different sizes of 12v fans can be purchased.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Good ideas! If you implement one of them pls let us know how it works out, cost, pics, etc.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Do don't need an additional fan if you "hot wire" your regular vent fans with a solar panel.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I let my windows cracked a thunderstorm came in and for two days I had a wet butt

·
Registered
67 Posts
Always interested in solar panels in the insight, to power a fan or a mini compressor to keep temps down inside the car. Any and all adventurous types, see what you can do, document it, and share!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
"I let my windows cracked a thunderstorm came in..."

Now here's a thought: a moisture sensor on the roof, plus interior & exterior temperature sensors. The car's CPU senses wet, it rolls up the windows; if it gets too hot inside, it rolls them down a bit...

If you want to get really tricky, add front & rear sunshades on motorized tracks, that roll down automatically when the car is parked and it's getting too hot.

Humm... Go a little further, and add infra-red sensors to the windows, so that if some larcenous individual sticks his hand in while they're open, it rolls them up just enough to trap his hand, then dials 911 on the built-in cell phone :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
How come so many of these "new" car ideas have appeared before? I recently was reading about Chevy convertibles from the '50s & '60s that had a rain sensor that would put the top up if a shower started while the car was parked and no one was around!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts