Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for the best looking (coolest?) new car in the low price range. Less than $15K

I dont care if its the best engineered car. or gets the best mileage, or anything else except I want it to turn heads.

Any ideas??

Maybe not new, but at least in this century

·
Super Moderator
6,748 Posts
Some folks like the Mazda 2. Car and Driver gave it a good review. MSRP is 15,500 but you could probably get it for less, or buy a used one.

You might find a closeout Insight Gen2 that fit your budget. I personally like it, but tastes differ.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Used CR-Z?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some folks like the Mazda 2. Car and Driver gave it a good review. MSRP is 15,500 but you could probably get it for less, or buy a used one.

You might find a closeout Insight Gen2 that fit your budget. I personally like it, but tastes differ.
I am looking for a future classic, Gen 2 Insight will never fill that bill. I dont have a real budget, price is no object.....ecxept that to be a good investment in a "future classic" there has to be room to make money.

·
Registered
817 Posts
If you're talking about a new car at MSRP, I think you might need to raise that limit to around $20. There are cars closer to $15k, but I wouldn't consider any of them right now to have a stand out unique look to them. Not unless they're legally motorcycles maybe. I agree that the Mazda 2 might be as close as it gets at that price, maybe the Mazda 3 depending on preference though it's $17k.

Closer to 20k MSPR and are current models:
Mini
VW Beetle
I guess a Mustang or Camero if you like that sort of thing
Technically the Smart cars are unique looking, could be a thing.

Originally more pricey, but not longer produced:
Mazda RX-8 (or RX-7 really if you'll go older)
Honda S2000
Saturn Sky

I feel like I'm listing sport coupes basically, not sure what you're looking for, but good luck. If your budget gets way bigger, you should totally get a Delorean DMC-12. Evidently, over here in Humble they've been slowly "finishing" the manufacture of some Deloreans using the original frames that never got built into cars. They're about $54k+, but it's everything you would want, flashy, already a classic, and it would be a "new" car with a 1981-1983 VIN.

Edit: Now that I mentioned the Delorean, you have to get something with at least Gull-Wing doors or you can't beat it, right?

·
Registered
386 Posts
As far as I am concerned, there are no new cars that fit that bill. Most of the low end cars these days do not have the requisite durability, longevity or desirability to be any sort of investment. They largely resemble refrigerators.

If I had $15k, I would probably get a late s2000 with a hard top and look after it, the values seem to have picked up a tad over the last few years.

New - I cant think of anything.

The Toyota Hilux pick-up holds is value well, hardly a head-turner or an investment, a used one would be quite a slow depreciating vehicle.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Classics are always either 1) iconic for their time, 2) quirky and uncommon, or 3) ahead of their time in some way that indicates future trends.

I can't think of a new car that hits those spots... but I can think of two older ones that will for different reasons.

First gen Miata: absolutely the iconic roadster of our times.

First gen Pontiac Trans Sport/Chevy Lumina van. Quirky, far ahead of their time in aero/styling. Specifically a 92 or 93 (pre facelift, post-3.8L v6 option).

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Edit: Now that I mentioned the Delorean, you have to get something with at least Gull-Wing doors or you can't beat it, right?
Bang for the buck, the Bricklin gull wing is a better buy. Its the car that Delorian copied.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as I am concerned, there are no new cars that fit that bill. Most of the low end cars these days do not have the requisite durability, longevity or desirability to be any sort of investment.
None of those factors make a car a classic. Its all ART, what does it look like...

·
Super Moderator
4,694 Posts
While I agree on the Miata, it'll never appreciate. There are just too many of them. But it'll be more fun than anything else you choose.

If you're going for pretty, just get the most beautiful car of all time. The Series 1 XKE.

Sam

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While I agree on the Miata, it'll never appreciate. There are just too many of them. But it'll be more fun than anything else you choose.

If you're going for pretty, just get the most beautiful car of all time. The Series 1 XKE.

Sam
Any XKE. I have a series II, but its hardly a modern car.

Beuty is eternal, technology changes.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Not sure what they're going for but an NSX could be collectible in the future, it'll still get it's fair share of looks now and you just don't see that many of them. Plus you could drive it now and not really have much to worry about.

Edit: man I feel dumb, just looked at the price and they are WAY over your budgeted amount...still could be worth it though

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nsx ???????????

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
/// Its all ART, what does it look like...
As a suggestion, in the name of art, and attractive innovation, be it old or new, linked below please find a pic in a series of an 'old' styling exercise that actually made it into production.
It definitely still turns heads every time you open the door. Now over 25 years old * these Sera's are now eligible for import into the USA. [*unless the car import regs. have changed in last 5 years.]

1990 Toyota Sera with dihedral doors [a.k.a. 'butterfly' doors]
5b5015adb056cc1517d752cc9cb75683.jpg Photo by AbCaRed00 | Photobucket
fwiw:
This dihedral door geometry is original and was licensed to McLarin for it's GT-R [ which would be even more of a head turner]; ...but under the artful body work, Sera is basically a Paseo with what turned out to be the 'new' classic '90's' styling and good vehicle efficiency. [see iamian's vehicle efficiency chart for ref.]
I hope that helps. btw: Why not a lambo door lift kit on the Insight?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1990 Toyota Sera with dihedral doors [a.k.a. 'butterfly' doors]
5b5015adb056cc1517d752cc9cb75683.jpg Photo by AbCaRed00 | Photobucket
fwiw:
This dihedral door geometry is original and was licensed to McLarin for it's GT-R [ which would be even more of a head turner]; ...but under the artful body work, Sera is basically a Paseo with what turned out to be the 'new' classic '90's' styling and good vehicle efficiency. [see iamian's vehicle efficiency chart for ref.]
I hope that helps. btw: Why not a lambo door lift kit on the Insight?
That would fill the bill. I like thpose lines. What do they sell for?

Yeah I looked at that, but not for this project. My wife hates the Lambo doors.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
That would fill the bill. I like those lines. What do they sell for?

Yeah I looked at that, but not for this project. My wife hates the Lambo doors.
Price varies wildly up here, [known $1600[one with clownish oversized wheels with garish pink paint job, niece's car]<>$12,000 for a nice stock low mile lime-green low miler with all the accessories. I got mine for $6500 [five years back] and put about $6k into it in body/paint/suspension etc. Parts are the bugaboo, and the UK is normal source. They are relatively cheap over there now it appears; I can't say for auctions now in Japan.
________
re: potential lambotype issues: If your wife doesn't like lambo doors because of the effort to lift, the air ram shocks for those dihedral doors _must_ be new or recharged. [the doors do sag over time, but not for the same reason as Deloreans ; new or recharge can be done)]. + fwiw: there's a very similar egress and ingress as with a lambo door, so it will not work out well if the passenger requires holding onto the door to sit down or exit the vehicle. The doors do open in very tight spaces though.
Best of luck on the quest!

·
Registered
386 Posts
None of those factors make a car a classic. Its all ART, what does it look like...
Honda S2000 AP2 (the less VTEC frantic one, more comfy). later the better, with hard top and low mileage. I can't think of anything better all round that ticks all your boxes.

If not that, a Mazda MX-5/Miata hard top convertible top spec... also very good.

·
3,641 Posts
Honda Element
Toyota MR2
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Subaru SVX
BMW 8 Series

Also agree with earlier comment of Honda CR-Z

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
10 Participants
JimIsbell
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing