Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new set of winter tires on my 06 MT Insight.
So far I see very little impact on my normal mileage with these winter tires in comparison to the stock Potenza's.
The tires are great in the snow.
Oh yeah...I'm talking about Hakkapelitta RSI tires. :D

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It sure helps they are OEM sized 165/65R14 tires so the difference in aerodynamics (air resistance) is minimal. What speeds do you normally drive and what mileage are you getting?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am usually a low speed driver.
My daily commute does not involve highways (lucky me).
I travel on steep hilly roads in Central Pennsylvania at speeds of 25 to 40 mph.
My lifetime mpg is 55 having driven about 7200 miles so far in my 06 MT.
Today I logged 62 mpg on my way to work with the Hakkapelitta winter tires.
So my experience is limited so far to non highway driving with the new tires.
When on the highway with the Potenza stock tires I averaged about 70 mpg.
I do plan a trip to Wilkes-Barre PA soon which will cover some miles on I-80 and I-81.
I will report back on my mpg after that highway trip. 8)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I also installed a set of the Nokian RSI's this winter and am not noticing any loss of mpg other than from the very cold temps we are getting now. Supposed to be 4 degrees tonight. I do notice they are a little noisier, but I would expect that from a tire with a much more aggressive tread pattern. They are a night/day difference in snow than the OEM all seasons.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My first highway trip with the Hakkapelitta RSI winter tires resulted in an average of 70mpg on Interstate 80 with dry road surface, temperatures in the low teens, and average speed of about 60 mph. :D
I am very pleased with my gas efficiency with the Hakkas.
I have had opportunity to drive in snow at a depth of about 4 inches and I find that these tires perform very well.
I no longer have any worries about driving my Insight in winter conditions 8)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
There is a tidbit in IC's Knowledge Base that seems to indicate a 7%+- loss with the Haakas. But AFAIK the data is several years old and before cold weather was more easily factored into the formula.

FWIW there is an old Honda Service News that my source recently gave me (2000) where Honda recommended the Blizzaks as a good snow tire specifically for the Insight.

Presumably it was because of the limited snow tire choices available in 2000 due to the required tire size. And that it was from the OEM Insight tire supplier (Bridgestone).

IMO the cold + traction losses (Yes, a snow tires' job is to minimize this factor) + drag due to "plowing" the snow will be the bigger factors vs. tire rolling resistance.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
The Hakka RSI's have only been out a couple years now. According to Nokian's website, "Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSI has a low rolling resistance which brings savings to fuel expenses and makes the tyre economical to drive" Also, "The world's first canola oil and silica combination in the tread pattern of a nordic contact tyre. Improves the winter tyre's wet grip and reduces rolling resistance without compromising the tyre's good winter properties".
I usually lose 15% during the winter months, but I have lost no additional mpg after installing the Nokian RSI's. MPG in cold seems so far to be the same as with the RE 92's. I agree that a tire's RR is a minor factor when actually driving on snow covered roads. The cold is by far the worst mpg reducer. The single digit morning temps here in CT are killing my mpg.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really was pleased to see that Nokia is using canola oil, as opposed to synthetic additives, in the formulation of their tires.
For me that was one of the selling points of the tire.
What a nice bonus to have low rolling resistance and great gas mileage with the RSI tires. 8)
As noted above, there will be a reduction in gas mileage when driving through snow. On dry pavement however there is minimal or no reduction in mileage between the stock Bridgestones and the Hakka RSI from my experience.
The tires are a bit pricey, but I got a great deal of about $95 per tire and free shipping (USA only) through the Tire Factory. My local mechanic mounted the tires for $42.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Insightful Trekker said:
IMO the cold + traction losses (Yes, a snow tires' job is to minimize this factor) + drag due to "plowing" the snow will be the bigger factors vs. tire rolling resistance.

HTH! :)
Not that I disagree with you at all. The problem is that even in snowy western NY where I live the main roads and highways are clear most of the time. So if you look at it from a "snow tire season" perspective the snow propably has little effect for most poeple. What with all the plowing and salting, I drive on clear roads probably something like 18 to 19 out of 20 days throughout the winter season. It's the tire and the temp affecting mileage. Someone living and driving off the beaten path may find things a little, or even a lot, different.

But, that said, for those days when the snow and espessially slush on the road isn't cleared, there is no substitute for good snow tires on all fours. And they are worth every penny in lost mileage and purchase cost.

My tires are still very new. I find that they don't have the best snow traction, but their resistance to hydroplaning is OK. That translates to: I can't climb a hill covered in snow very good, but I don't find myself spinning out of control on a straight road covered in slush - provided I mind my speed. :D The latter is crucial for safety.

·
Registered
338 Posts
and on that note

man I LOVE my tires when it snows (we got it pretty bad this winter...not NY or anthing :roll: )

I have had no problems at all....and man do they grip when it's dry!

I truly love my tires...and would marry them if I could. :oops:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just mentioning that at least here in western NY the "plowing through the snow" is a smaller factor than rolling resistance when considering the whole winter season.

·
Registered
86 Posts
BTW, my car came with an extra set of OEM rims which needed some snow tires and I shopped around for a while to find any in the right size. Our local Nokian rep wasn't able to get Hakkapeliitta's in the standard Insight size, but they did have Nordman's which are Nokian's discount line in the right size. Supposedly they use the molds from previous generations of the Hakkas to make the Nordmans. They certainly look similar to pictures of the old Hakkas I've seen. They're available either studded or studless and I got the studless to minimize rolling resistance. So far they have handled very well. $370 installed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts