Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i need new shoes for my baby...i definitly want to stick to the RE92's...the dealer wants $105 each for em...i havent checked any place else local, but im wondering what you guys think of that price

also, the dealer said they found a "pulsation" in my front rotors...not something i thought i had noticed...but on the way home, i noticed a pulsating...until then i thought it was just the ABS working(this is my 1st car with ABS), as i only really noticed it when i was braking a little harder than usual(i normally decel very slowly for good MPG ;) )...just wondering if anyone else has had this "pulsating" problem and/or if it IS just the ABS working...thanks :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I just bought 5 RE92's (full size spare for my new baby) for $75 each from Big O Tires (price does not include mounting/balancing).

I had the rotors replaced on my '01 Insight a couple years ago by a mechanic who I am sure was scamming me (I never went back to him again, after reading on this forum that it was unlikely to be a problem at 50K miles...).

AFAIK, ABS is only activated when it is needed, so it shouldn't affect the regular braking of the car -- it should feel like any other car braking, plus the pull of the regen. ABS, when activated, feels like a tremble in the brake pedal. Not the same as pulsating, right?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discount tire in MA has them for $62 + shipping.

Tire Rack is showing them for $64 + shipping.

robert

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, i figured the dealer was ripping me off on tire prices, i will definitly continue to shop around

as far as the brakes...the dealer says i need new rotors and pads :!: :!: (expensive)...and my pads have PLENTY left in them, although the rotors are a little rusted...again, i dont feel the pulsing unless braking hard and only usually at slower speeds...do you think i really need to replace the brakes and rotors :?: (i think imma go get some second opinions)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Since you're in CT, try Sam's club. I got all 4 RE92's replaced last year and paid around $68 each plus $8 each for mounting/balancing. Front brakes are very easy to do. I replaced my pads $38/pair and rotors (new) $15 each. Entire brake job cost less than $100 and a couple hours work if that.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, i knew it was a warped rotor that was causing it...although i dont feel comfortable changing my pads and such, so i guess ill have the dealer do it...i just dont understand why i need new pads if the ones on there are practically new, i can understand needing a new rotor(or 2, too keep them balanced??)...but why new pads?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I recently picked up a used 2003 Insight and had the dealer (one who's been pretty good and honest) pre-check it out.

(why yes, that does make us a two Insight family now)

They told me the fron brake pads were pretty worn down and were aftermarket, _and_ that the rotors had been worn down.

I found this difficult to believe as wearing out brake pads in an Insight takes just about forever...

I had him do the job, and yes, it was that bad.

On further close inspection of the car I saw there ahd been some fender damage around one of the headlights (I suspect the headlight assembly was replaced)...

Methinks the newer Insight was abused as a child. We're taking extra super nice care of him, complimenting him every day, and hoping he'll get past any problems...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pulsing brakes and tire choice

I've got over 40,000 on the original tires and its past time for a change. I would like something quieter and with less tracking problems than the originals. I've researched this before and am thinking that the best choice is the original Potenza RE92 but in a slightly larger - the size of the tire for the 1st model Prius - 175/65SR14. And tires don't seem to come in 175/60SR14 sizes so that doesn't seem like an option (tho it could be the best choice.

Avid's come in either the 165/65 or 175/65 sizes and I've had a good experience with them on my other vehicles. But I don't think that they are as efficient or would accept the same pressures.

BTW, the 165s are

Any advice/comments?

On the brakes thing. My Insight has pulsed since I had the pads changed about 4 months ago. But only just after starting. I assumed that it had something to do with not enough vacuum having built up yet. Oh yeah, I live at the top of a steep hill. Anyway, when I go in for tires, I'll have the brakes checked.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
If you want to reduce the tracking/tramlining characteristic of the car, you could get the alignment set with a bit of toe-in. That's how most cars are set, but the Insight is set at 0.

I haven't seen a discussion here about the relative tradeoff between changing the toe and changing the tires...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got 4 Bridgestone Potenza tires last week at Dicsount Tire for $263 including installation and TN's 9.25% sales tax. It was some of the best service I've had at a tire place. They were special order tires, ordered overnight from Texas to TN.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: Pulsing brakes and tire choice

rone said:
I've got over 40,000 on the original tires and its past time for a change. I would like something quieter and with less tracking problems than the originals. I've researched this before and am thinking that the best choice is the original Potenza RE92 but in a slightly larger - the size of the tire for the 1st model Prius - 175/65SR14. And tires don't seem to come in 175/60SR14 sizes so that doesn't seem like an option (tho it could be the best choice.

Avid's come in either the 165/65 or 175/65 sizes and I've had a good experience with them on my other vehicles. But I don't think that they are as efficient or would accept the same pressures.

BTW, the 165s are

Any advice/comments?

On the brakes thing. My Insight has pulsed since I had the pads changed about 4 months ago. But only just after starting. I assumed that it had something to do with not enough vacuum having built up yet. Oh yeah, I live at the top of a steep hill. Anyway, when I go in for tires, I'll have the brakes checked.
I just replaced my RE92 tires (fronts were made in 02 and rear in 05) with new ones (same size - 165/65R14) and the car handles totally differently. It corners better, tracks better, is quieter, and has a more settled ride. I am thinking they might have redesigned the tread pattern or they might lose performace quickly as they wear...I'm not sure, but they're great now!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi nitro,

I noticed the same thing with the replacement tires (OEM RE92s) that I just put on my '00 Insight... they're so nice, it made me wonder why I ever switched on the '01 Insight! (We had put larger tires on it because of the tracking issues). I still skate a bit on the freeway, but it doesn't seem as bad as it used to be when I was skating in the CVT.

The handling at low speeds is very nice. I wonder if they did change the manufacturing details of the car?

-fly

·
Registered
87 Posts
I wonder if they changed the design of the tires a bit. The new ones were the same model as the old ones. I'm curious to see if a lot of other people have had the same experience.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Happy so far - Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S - 185/60/14

This is also posted on the thread http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... 0860#60860.

just put on 4 Michelin's. Mileage is down, but too early to tell how much - but seems that its 5% to 10%. I've heard that can improve with time.

Also, there is a noticable hit on acceleration. The car used to have some snap between about 15mph & 50mph. Now, no snap. But there is still plenty of acceleration for reasonable & safe driving.

However, IMO, the up side more than makes up for these issues. I was looking for a quieter and more stable ride. The reduced noise level is striking! Previously very noisy freeway rides are now quite acceptable.

And the handling is so much better! No more tracking - none! And the car drives great now! Its a road hugging sports car now. Much more fun and stable and safe.

The original tires were not a safe or friendly (noise) choice in this car. I appreciate the milage boost and how they made the car clearly better for mileage than the Prius (or anything else!). But I think Honda missed the mark by making the car a poor ride with the RE-92s.

However, reading the two recent posts by people who bought new RE-92s, who knows??

Still, too much body lean. Maybe try to fix that next.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts