Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to do a search on this and could not find any previous postings. If there are, just redirect :oops:

Are there any safe and effective injector cleaners (the simple kind you put in the gas tank) for the Insight? I have a 2000, and while I don't have any major performance problems, after 5 years there is bound to be some gunk built up. I realize I could have the injectors removed and cleaned, but that costs a lot more $$$.

Also, on a previous post someone mentioned that a fair amount of sediment builds in the gas tank after a few years. Is this the case? If so, I have heard there are additives that can dissolve this and pass it through the fuel system safely. Any recommendations?

I don't know much about the technicalities of cars, so any advice is greatly appreciated!

Rob

·
Registered
58 Posts
Chevron Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner

I prefer Chevron Techron for a in-tank FI Cleaner.Use it in a tank of fuel that will be used in local driving conditions.Not on a highspeed trip,because it works by solvation,works best when it has time to sit on and in the injector,rather than just passing thur it.Been using for 25 years,it cleans the intake valve stems and the combustion chambers.It's the best product out there.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'll second the Techron - I've used it in other cars every 15-20k miles.

A AAA (the auto club) technical guru suggested this to me in email - said Techron is the best short of the $300 big-machine treatments, and there's one of those he likes best, too.

He adds: run Techron thru one tankful, then run a plain tankful, then use Techron again in the next fill-up to clear out something like ash from the 1st burn.

There's another product I see used by some dealerships - BMW, Infiniti, and recommended at some stores: BK44. costs ~$22/treatment vs $7 or so for Techron.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Most injector cleaners are very safe since they don't do anything. :)

I've heard good things about the Techron stuff but since I have never bothered personally I can't comment.

I come from the school of thought that says if you want clean injectors, you remove them and send them out to an injection shop. Generally these shops charge around $20 per injector and do a clean/balance as well as replace all the rubber. Turnaround is about a day in most cases and you get a nice neat printout with flow pattern and capacity.

Some of the chemical cleaners may work on minor deposits but if the injector is truly misfiring then a proper cleaning is the only choice.

·
Registered
122 Posts
One sure-fire good practice to keep the engine's internals clean:
Use brand-name gasoline.
Texaco, Chevron, Mobil, Shell, . . .
instead of the no-name brands.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Redline makes SL-1 which is supposed to be good as well. I've used it some in the Insight as well as our MINI and have had no issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts