Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Green Machine has retired from active duty in the Hybrid Battery family. It has gone on to live a new life in Oklahoma. First it traveled from our offices in New York City to appear in the Hybrid Battery booth at Green Drive Expo in San Francisco.

Day one: Green Machine travels from New York to Toledo Ohio and visits Flamboyant Seller's shop.

Day two: Green Machine tries a Chicago style hot dog at the Vienna Beef Factory Store and Deli and then heads up into Wisconsin.

Green Machine was then chased by a Google Streetview car for a while before pulling away.

Green Machine stopped for the night 100 miles west of Sioux City SD.

Day three: Green Machine admired the scenery in Badlands National Park, Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse memorial before traveling down through Wyoming to Boulder CO.

Day four: Green Machine visited Boulder Hybrid Conversions and then headed west into Rocky Mountain National Park.

Green Machine then continued west on US-40 to Salt Lake City UT

Day five: Green Machine continued west and came to this sign:

Declaring that they "just don't get it", Green Machine left the gas guzzling racers continued west through Nevada and into California, arriving at Green Drive Expo's hotel at 1AM. Not surprisingly Eric Powers who produces the show was there to greet the late arrival. In fact, Eric jumped into Green Machine to try out the BetterBattery. As he zoomed up and down the hills around the hotel, all that could be heard was Eric yelling "Yahoo!" and "Wow!". Eventually, Eric reluctantly got out and let Green Machine rest for the night.

Trip so far: 3,500 miles.

Continued...

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Day six: Green machine spent the day before the show touring San Francisco.

It was disappointed to find that cars are not allowed to take the ferry to Alcatraz.

So it had fun driving down Lombard street and then up Jones St. Scarily, it had to come to a stop just before Jones St stopped going straight up, and then had to try to get going again.

Other scenic roads there:

Day seven: Green Machine spent the day indoors at Green Drive Expo posing for the exhibition attendees. Green Machine thinks modesty is underrated, but Ron just thinks that Green Machine's head is a little swollen by being the only Insight there and the only green (colored) vehicle too.

Day eight: Green Machine headed out of town, got lost and wound up in the sixties.

Fortunately Green Machine believes in a drug free lifestyle (it won't even take STP), so it headed out of town toward Las Vegas.

Continued...

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Day eight continued: Green Machine stopped in the middle of the desert to admire how quiet it was (Auto-Stopped of course):

And then continued on toward Death Valley:

At that sign, Green Machine thought "that's not so tough", but then realized that Death Valley is in the NEXT valley and that it would have to go over this mountain:

Continued...

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Day eight continued:

Green Machine struggled up that mountain and coasted many miles down the other side (using no fuel of course) arriving just as the sun went down. It was still hot:

But the AC worked flawlessly.

Fortunately Green Machine was still getting excellent mileage, so it didn't need to stop here:

And reached the bottom of the drivable world:

It then drove up and out of the mountains and off to Las Vegas, and stayed the night at an Egyptian Pyramid.

Continued...

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Day nine:

Green Machine tried to meet the old man at the Gold and Silver Pawn shop, but he wasn't in yet, so it headed off to Hoover Dam and then the Grand Canyon. Once again, the humans had nastily restricted cars from peering over the edge, so it turned around and headed back to the highway, being accosted along the way by a bull who was confused about the green color, but not enraged because Green Machine is not red:

It then drove off across Arizona toward New Mexico and was confused by the time zones. (Nevada-PDT, Arizona-MST, New Mexico-MDT)

Day ten: Green Machine left Albuquerque and headed off and finally made the pilgrimage to its' ancestral home:

After hob-nobbing with the local humans (who actually turned and stared!), Green Machine left Roswell and headed northeast up into Texas, stopped to let its' human inhabitants have a steak dinner in Abilene and then continued on to Oklahoma City.

Day eleven:

Green Machine met its' new human and said goodbye to the old ones:

Total trip 5,680.7 miles @ 60.1 mpg (75 mph posted speed limits, AC on all the way and multiple trips across the Rockies and other mountain ranges)

·
Premium Member
2,394 Posts
Congratulations on getting Green Machine 2, you've probably already put a BetterBattery in this one, but you've got some Hybrid-Battery and Green Machine decals to add. :)

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congratulations on getting Green Machine 2, you've probably already put a BetterBattery in this one, but you've got some Hybrid-Battery and Green Machine decals to add. :)
Green Machine 2 has some dents and sun-damaged skin (faded paint). As soon as those are taken care of, the tint and logos go on.

First trip with the BetterBattery: 17 miles round trip @ 88mpg. Much better than Green Machine's 81 for the same route.

·
Premium Member
2,394 Posts
Nice to know the new one is getting great mileage. Are you repainting this new one, or how are you dealing with the fading?

Did you take the only pair of Honda OEM green seat covers with you or did they stay with the first car?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice to know the new one is getting great mileage. Are you repainting this new one, or how are you dealing with the fading?

Did you take the only pair of Honda OEM green seat covers with you or did they stay with the first car?
It's getting a paint job in original color. (The interior jambs are not faded.)

The green seat covers went with the car.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a green machine 2000, keep it off the road 6 months out of the year while I drive the red machine. I just put greenie on the road again and it took a few commutes to reawaken the (original) battery at 83,000 miles. Seems to be doing well, 63mpg in 35-40 degree weather with standard radiator block. Would there be any benefit to installing the "better battery"? Have you ever had someone bring their car to you to have a battery swap out?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a green machine 2000, keep it off the road 6 months out of the year while I drive the red machine. I just put greenie on the road again and it took a few commutes to reawaken the (original) battery at 83,000 miles. Seems to be doing well, 63mpg in 35-40 degree weather with standard radiator block. Would there be any benefit to installing the "better battery"?
I hope you charged the battery before you used it. If not, you are going to be a customer. You NEED to get a grid charger and use it whenever you have not driven the car for 3+ days.

Have you ever had someone bring their car to you to have a battery swap out?
We average about three a week.

·
Registered
64 Posts
to mndriver

Just saying hello so a Minnesota runner, wondering about you gas mileage in the cold and if you are running a better battery?!

·
Premium Member
2,394 Posts
Just saying hello so a Minnesota runner, wondering about you gas mileage in the cold and if you are running a better battery?!
We all lose gas mileage in the cold, with snow tires on, and no autostop. I get about 20% less distance out of my gas once we are below 10 degrees or so, which is about when both of my cars stop giving me lean-burn no matter how hard I try. I don't have the BetterBattery. ...at least not yet, but it is a future consideration.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So what are you getting for mileage and do you have any mods I need to do!? I am impressed with the better battery so far, however my cars gas side isn't up to par right now so I'm figuring that out first:confused: I'll let you know!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts