Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, my IMA light came on for a P1429 on my way in to work today. Does anyone have info on what this code means? Jumped the OBDII port to get the blink code and it seems to be 69. Tried to cross reference these in the big ol OBDII Code DTC Spreadsheet, but can't find any useful info about what these codes actually mean, and since I'm at work I don't have my copy of the service manual to look through. I'm a mechanic and have tool and lift access here after hours, so I may be able to get this diagnosed and repaired before I drive home if I can figure out what the code is actually for!

For context, got limited assist at the start of the commute and then forced recharge for several minutes before the IMA light came on. Battery seems relatively healthy and has been behaving normally for the past couple of months since fixing a different IMA issue. Last drove the vehicle coming home from work on Friday and was near full charge on the BAT gauge when I left this morning. Scanner read a P1429 and a P2000 (have been getting that one intermittently for months, want to sort the EGR out before I replace the cat and/or sensor). Blink codes are 69 and 105 respectively.

Recently repaired the harness from the IPU after getting different IMA codes due to an intermittent open at one of the IPU to main body harness connectors. Spliced the blue 24 pin wire for wire to bypass the faulty connector. Suspect the brown connector which I left alone may be the culprit? My earlier repair is detailed here:

·
Super Moderator
1,792 Posts
Are you sure it’s a 1429?
Or is it a 1449?

Scott

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
^ Sounds like a 1449-78 rather than 1429-69 (which doesn't exist)... OP, if so, that means the IMA can't charge the pack after it's considered empty by at least 10% without one of the voltage taps hitting the upper voltage limit first. In practical terms it typically means your taps/cells are imbalanced. Lots of posts around here about such circumstances.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

It was most definitely a 1429. I double-checked it with the scan tool right before reading blink codes. Not sure why the 69 and 1429 combo is coming up but I counted the blink codes several times and am pretty confident that is what was displayed. May have been because I pulled the back-up fuse to reset the IMA before pulling the blink codes? I had not yet cleared the CEL with the scan tool, though. That still read P1429 when pulling blink codes. Hopefully this code mismatch was a fluke and doesn't mean a faulty MCM or some such.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Well, maybe there's some glitch, somewhere. Regardless, your description of the problem is consistent with the P1449-78.

·
Administrator
11,739 Posts
I always recommend videoing the blink codes, upload to YT then post a link.
We can then double check them.

I'm much more likely to trust the blink codes as they come directly from the computer modules themselves.

OBDII stuff can get messed up in translation via code readers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up resetting the IMA and clearing DTCs with the OBDII scanner so I could see if the error persisted with further driving. As of yet it has not come back and the IMA is behaving normally- full assist and regen, no negative recals. I haven't had any issues with the battery itself or any real signs of it going out of balance, so I don't have much reason to suspect that my scan tool is getting me the wrong code. Just to be sure, I'll check the tap voltages on the pack this weekend to see if there are any obvious signs it is out of balance. The vehicle came with a grid charger when I purchased it a year ago, but I haven't had reason to use it yet as the pack hasn't shown any performance degradation or frequent negative recals.

If the code returns before this weekend, I will take video of the blink codes as you've requested. I suspect this is being caused by another wiring issue, but am curious to gather more information on it if I can.

·
Super Moderator
5,107 Posts
The vehicle came with a grid charger when I purchased it a year ago, but I haven't had reason to use it yet as the pack hasn't shown any performance degradation or frequent negative recals.
Oh yes, you have. Even a well performing IMA should be grid charged a couple of times a year. This will KEEP it in balance rather than waiting until it is about to fail and then trying to get it back in balance.

Sam

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have used the grid charger a couple of times to make sure that it works properly and that I know how to use it, but from the reading I've done on the forums it seemed inconclusive as to whether charging a healthy pack was a good idea. My current living situation makes it difficult to grid charge the car as I don't have outlet access in the parking lot, but I will be moving into a new house soon and will be able to do it there if it's actually worthwhile. Is there any way other than checking tap voltages or waiting for negative recals/IMA lights to determine whether the pack is in need of grid charging?

Edit: Now that I think of it I did grid charge the car back in February when I was doing other service on it over the weekend.

·
Super Moderator
1,792 Posts
After a little more research P1429, blink code(38), is a valid IMA code. The Blink code (69) for the CEL is a byproduct of the IMA code.
Some IMA code will cause a generic CEL.
Here is a photo of the FSM code info.

In all the Insights I’ve worked on I don’t ever remember coming across this code. It is very probable that the repairs you you did previously to the wire harness may be related. Things the I’m beginning to see with these cars as they age are electrical connection issues, corrosion in electrical pins, high resistance on wires, rodent damage, etc.
Many of the things that need to be checked these days require the use of a multimeter and understanding how to test Ohms.

Scott

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In all the Insights I’ve worked on I don’t ever remember coming across this code. It is very probable that the repairs you you did previously to the wire harness may be related. Things the I’m beginning to see with these cars as they age are electrical connection issues, corrosion in electrical pins, high resistance on wires, rodent damage, etc.
Many of the things that need to be checked these days require the use of a multimeter and understanding how to test Ohms.
Thanks for the great info! This was part of why I suspected a wiring fault, as it seemed like P1429 was a very uncommon code and there haven't been any unusual symptoms from the IMA before or after the code appeared and was reset.

Thankfully I'm fairly adept with wiring repair and electrical troubleshooting as it has been a major component of my career thus far. When I have a chance to dig into the IPU harness and bulkhead connectors I'll be sure to share what (if anything) I am able to find. If I don't come across any faults elsewhere in the harness I'll shoot my earlier wiring repairs end-to-end as well.

It sure would be nice to rebuild all the harnesses for this car someday with higher quality materials and better connectors... but with everything else there is to keep up with maintenance-wise, that will probably be a long ways down the road for me.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Well, maybe there's some glitch, somewhere. Regardless, your description of the problem is consistent with the P1449-78.
FYI, when I wrote this I was mixing up another person's contemporary post about pack problems with this one. I was thinking the car had sat for a while and neg recal-ed when driven, before getting the code. Getting only a forced charge and then a code doesn't necessarily suggest a P1449...

·
Linsight Designer
1,899 Posts
P1429 (blink code 38) is MDM overheating... most likely cause is PDU fan is broken.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts