Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed a new set of tires for my 2nd Gen Insight and after reading some posts here and other online reviews I purchased a set of Bridgestone Ecopia's EP422 Plus through Costco.

It feels like a new car! They fill the tires with nitrogen which gives it a really great ride.

·
Premium Member
9,858 Posts
Sorry nitro doesn't give it a "great ride". Nitro is so the temps won't change that much.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I like the nitro and the only sarcasm is what others here are reading into things. I guess this why I shouldn't bother posting here. Such snark. No one says oh gee glad to hear the Bridgestones worked out well for your gen 2. Why bother?

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Nitrogen has no effect on the ride quality of the tire at identical psi. Any perceived improvement is purely psychological or the result of installing new tires. Nitrogen fill is just another money making opportunity for tire stores with minimal benefits for street tires. 75% of the air we breathe is made of nitrogen. The purest nitrogen for tires is about 95%. Not a significant increase for the cost.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Give the guy a break,,congrats on your new ride,,who cares,,yes there is some snarky insight types on here,,but there are some good guys too,,Sean,jime,mountion driver,kyl3clr,we try to help .

·
Super Moderator
7,151 Posts
Don't be a stranger. :)

There are many helpful folks on IC. Unfortunately, since it is a public forum, you will from time to time get disagreements. Some things are cut and dried technical and some things are largely opinion. We get both and make no effort to do "quality control," an impossible task for a few volunteer moderators. And since the moderators are human, we make mistakes too.

We do a pretty effective job of policing open disrespect of members, flaming, profanity, spamming and such, but sometimes the line is pretty thin, as in this case.

IC is a vibrant and helpful resource for any Insight owner, all 3 generations, but sometimes you just gotta let the small stuff roll off your back.

If you needed help with a technical issue, I think you would find several helpful members who would pitch in.

Jim E

·
Registered
255 Posts
^ +1 what he said!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Also, I believe the sarcasm comment was followed by a ?
It was a question. In fact, the other day when I read the initial post it made me Google nitrogen in tires. I found out that the only advantage is, as stated above, pressure stability at varying temperatures. Thus the wondering if you were serious about that effecting the ride.

Now the Insight, especially in 2010-2011 did come with some of the worst tires I have ever experienced. I was also blown away at how much a set of quality tires made the vehicle into a quite different beast. (In my case Michelin Defenders)

But let me pile on: if they give you nitrogen, fine. If you paid extra for it, you may be gullable.

And everybody: check your tire pressures regularly. Check them stone cold in the morning. The max on the tire and the recommended on the door label is COLD inflation. It is a pet peeve of mine that when one has their car serviced, the tech will just put in 32 all the way around warm. This does not bring joy (or good fuel economy)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Good tires

Got those on my last car went 80k on them really lasted a long time as for the nitrogen in the tires it’s a very temprature stable gas that won’t expand and contract as much as regular air but that being said the air is almost 80% nitrogen anyway so no real difference except in cold regions

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Doesn't the G2 have TPMS?
Yes, but it is a pretty simple system that will only set a warning light if the tires are quite low, like 26 lbs. That's all that is required by federal law. Upper models of some Honda/Acura products have a different wheel sensor and pick up that will report actual temps.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Actually the TPMS sensor picks up tire temp,has a set threshold pressure as well as current set pressure, low pressure threshold is 7psi lower then set pressure depending on what sensor was set for most systems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts