Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had the dealership drop off my 2001 today. I haggled to hell and back (prices in california SUCK) and got it for $11,888 out the door including tax/license/etc etc. not a bad deal considering the $15,850 window sticker.

57k on the odometer and it's very fun to drive. I love it.

Here's some photos of it next to my 2003 Protege5. I also own a 1999 300m and a 1996 Ford Police Interceptor. What can I say, I love cars!

http://www.thebluepen.com/insight/

Here's some shots of the 300m

http://www.thebluepen.com/300m/

and here's the protege5

http://www.thebluepen.com/protege5/

I bought the insight because I commute around 150miles/day and the 300m was running me about $20 in gas on a daily basis. I hope to cut that to 1/3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Nice car. I noticed the low battery condition and mpg, guess you have been driving in the sport mode. Have fun, Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rick Reece said:
Nice car. I noticed the low battery condition and mpg, guess you have been driving in the sport mode. Have fun, Rick
I blame the salesman that dropped the car off. He had a 20 mile drive to my house, and probably tore *** the entire way. I drove the car for about an hour, taking it really easy, and the battery didn't go up at all, though I saw it charging a lot. Could it be that I need to do more freeway driving for it to charge? I drove on surface streets the entire time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rick Reece said:
Nice car. I noticed the low battery condition and mpg, guess you have been driving in the sport mode. Have fun, Rick
I just went out and reset the mpg and tried to drive how I would expect I should.

I averaged 44mpg and filled the battery to all but 2-3 bars on a 10 mile drive in my very hilly neighborhood with lots of stop lights and grades.

So I think all is well. I need to check the tire pressure and other things, as well.

Is it normal for the car to shudder a bit when starting from a stop? Mine shakes and shimmys when from 3-6mpg or so, and then is fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
When I got mine from the dealer it had a 39 something mpg with 298 miles. I think every test drive must have checked the quarter mile time. In regards to the start up the IMA should be spinning the engine up without the problems you mentioned. I have never driven a CVT but with a 5 speed the engine comes alive and usually in first gear you have a smooth acceleration. Have fun, RIck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,240 Posts
iibbmm said:
I haggled to hell and back (prices in california SUCK) and got it for $11,888 out the door including tax/license/etc etc. not a bad deal considering the $15,850 window sticker.

You didn't hve to limit yourself to a California dealership. My last new car was purchased out of state and it was best car buying experience ever. I saved so much money in the deal that even paying to have the car shipped to California, the end total was cheaper than buying here. Also, dealership window stickers are rediculously high, so don't use them as a negotiating point, use the Blue Book price for the purchase area instead.


Have fun with the car!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
looks clean, you'll enjoy the experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Resist said:
iibbmm said:
I haggled to hell and back (prices in california SUCK) and got it for $11,888 out the door including tax/license/etc etc. not a bad deal considering the $15,850 window sticker.

You didn't hve to limit yourself to a California dealership. My last new car was purchased out of state and it was best car buying experience ever. I saved so much money in the deal that even paying to have the car shipped to California, the end total was cheaper than buying here. Also, dealership window stickers are rediculously high, so don't use them as a negotiating point, use the Blue Book price for the purchase area instead.


Have fun with the car!
Thanks for the advice. I haggled for about two weeks with the dealer (chevy dealer) knowing that they wanted it off their lot. I paid under $12 out the door and the bb was $13,020 + taxes/fees
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, just did my first trip to work.

72.1 miles, 52.8mpg for the entire trip. I was averaging 54mpg, but I hit a pretty long grade that took it down a notch. Battery is one bar under full!

I love this car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
I'm still new to the insight, but over a two week period covering the same ground, I've improved my Trip MPG's by at least 8MPG. Practice, Practice, Practice...
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top