Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah I got it today but: can anyone help with this, I cannot find my volt meter.

It intermintinly fails to start and the symtoms are as follows:

1. Get in turn the key and get a clicking noise, but the dash, AC, and radio work fine.
2. When I wait long enough it starts, but the IMA battery is not showing charged at all.
3. After driving the battery will charge very quickly
4. This seemed to occur after sitting for 1 hour or after a short freeway drive.
5. Also one time the Odometer reset it self, along with both trip indicator to some past days.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi "got it used" and welcome to the forum :!: :)

#'s 1,2,3 & 4
Read like a bad 12v battery (under the hood) and the resulting conditions (and IMA reset for one). A standard Civic battery will fit, group size 51 or 51R (the difference is a right or left handed positive terminal). Then newer 06 Civic hybrid battery is also reportedly a closer to OEM match. And there are a couple of choices in an ultra light (better hyper MPG) and small battery.

But your lowest cost, most widely available and with only a theoretical minute MPG loss is the group size 51.

Get the 12v tested.

There's also a "problem" with the main engine ground points that could be the source of your problem should the battery test OK. The main engine ground points and the point from the negative terminal can "invisibly" corrode under the bolt. Minimally you should remove the connections, sand to bare metal, reconnect, and coat with an anti-oxide compound.

See:

http://community.webshots.com/user/jackmpg

and navigate to the Ground Mod connection pages here:

http://community.webshots.com/album/376391955tmMKKH

If the odometer (and not just one or all of the 3 trip meters "reset" itself it reads like tampering damage (mileage rollback). I'd probably try to back out of the deal ASAP if this is truly the case.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it still has a few problems

Thanks, the battery did the trick.

I am still aliitle bit leary though.
The car had 95K on it when I bought it last week. So I am looking forward to getting my voltmeter back this weekend. I hear clicking noises from the rear battery area, and it seems to charge to slowly.

I drive over a huge hill (incline) 6 times a week. One is called the Altamont, Ca as in the concert of some years ago. Most times I am in third or second gear by the time I get to the top, and the battery is at one bar.

Is the MPG bar at the accurate it still says I am averaging over 50 MPG?

Could there still be something that anyone reccomends I have checked out?

·
Registered
34 Posts
bring it to a dealer and have them run the vin and check what
warranty work has been done.
while they're doing that the shop can be giving you a lube,oil and filter
and give you a report on the condition of your car.
i bought a used insight about 3 weeks ago and had that done last monday.
bring your own mobil 1 all they stock is honda oil.
all total mine was $16 and well worth it.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Re: Got it still has a few problems

Glad to be of some help. But I hope you got it tested. Disconnecting the 12v causes an IMA reset and is _sometimes_ all that is needed.

Reads like you need to further expand your understanding of your Insight. There is no voltmeter. The SoC gauge displays a _calculated_ amount of charge in the IMA pack (the 144v battery). Therefore its prone to all sorts of unusual, worrisome, but completely normal readings.

Your Insight had 3 trip meters. The one designed for this "type" of usage is toggled on and off by the FCD button (Fuel Consumption Display). Its on the left hand side of the dash above the power window switches. When there is a "<===>" graphic displayed on the MPG gauge your "reading" the average since the last FCD reset (press and hold the FCD button when the above graphic is displayed to reset the count). With the OEM tires it has been verified to be accurate within 1-2% over the long run.

See the Insight Central Encyclopedia and FAQ sections for the rest of the story about other unique features. An owners manual is also worth the cost if you don't have one.

And once your comfortable with the basics may I recommend you take the next intermediate step here:

Recals, Forced Charge, IMA Battery & thermal mgmt - long
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=750

HTH! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts