Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got them!!! It was like Christams. Man are they big and ugly! You have two big ones that go at the rear quarter panels, and two small stickers, one for the front bumper drivers side and one for the rear bumper passenger side. You also get a registration slip of sorts that is to be carried in the car with your registration. You may be asking what color the stickers are, well they are a beautiful school bus yellow with reflective seals of California all over them. Make sure you place them correctly the first time as they can not be removed without completely wrecking them. I would recommend placing the side quater panel stickers behind the wheel skirts above the black plastic. At least that is where mine are. Don't place them on the wheel skirts as someone could just take the whole wheel skirt and try to remove the sticker.

I sent my registartion form on 8-13-05 from Temecula, CA via snail mail. That was only 6 working days. My sticker number is 838. I can't wait to try it out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
wuhoo!
i'm really excited the stickers are starting to arrive! did you include the extra rapid processing fee someone just mentioned ($15)?

i won't be surprised if mine gets snagged in the process because i'm a new owner and the registration is still being "processed." :shock:

i'm kinda laughing at the thought of those stickers though. they sound pretty lame! i guess if we get the privileges that buses do, we also get to look like one! 8)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey, You must be the guy in the Insight I keep passing just before the 15 checkpoint! I thought I saw another Insight driver around Temecula.

I've got my HOV application, still haven't mailed it in... maybe I should do that tonight.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gobuchul74 said:
Hey, You must be the guy in the Insight I keep passing just before the 15 checkpoint! I thought I saw another Insight driver around Temecula.
I'm in Temecula, but I drive to Orange County vis the 15 north to the 91 west. I don't go past the Immigration check point at all during the week.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Must be more Insights around Temecula than I thought....

Question- On the HOV application, I believe the second question is regarding the type of emmissions the car has and it says check one... SULEV, ULEV, Something Else, and HYBRID. Did you check the Hybrid or the ULEV? I know my car has the ULEV sticker on it, but the Air Recources board has it highlighted on their list as a Hybrid... and I guess both are accurate.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gobuchul74 said:
Did you check the Hybrid or the ULEV? I know my car has the ULEV sticker on it, but the Air Recources board has it highlighted on their list as a Hybrid... and I guess both are accurate.
I checked the Hybrid box. Make sure your using the DMV form that is dated August 2005. It is different than the original clean air vehicle registration form.

·
Registered
29 Posts
gobuchul74 said:

I've got my HOV application, still haven't mailed it in... maybe I should do that tonight.
What color was it, I drive a silver 2000 that way mon thru friday. I don't recall seeing more than a few insights but a lot of the Toyota prius.

I don't ascribe to the high milage style of driving, I do more of the hammer down 75 - 85 both down and back. I do slow down at times when the radar detector alarms. Inspite of that style of driving I still average 62 MPG with the morning drive in the high 60's to 71 MPG the highest but that is offset by the 54 - 55 MPG drive back north due to the A/C and more up-hill.

·
Registered
473 Posts
commuter said:
Man are they big and ugly! You have two big ones that go at the rear quarter panels, and two small stickers, one for the front bumper drivers side and one for the rear bumper passenger side.
Glad I didn't send for them then. I wouldn't want to put them on my car...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
devin1955 said:
commuter said:
Man are they big and ugly! You have two big ones that go at the rear quarter panels, and two small stickers, one for the front bumper drivers side and one for the rear bumper passenger side.
Glad I didn't send for them then. I wouldn't want to put them on my car...
Yeah, I mean why would you want to save a lot of time by a small sacrafice of placing a few stickers on your car. To each his own.

·
Registered
473 Posts
commuter said:
Yeah, I mean why would you want to save a lot of time by a small sacrafice of placing a few stickers on your car. To each his own.
It's interesting that you know me enough to determine how much time I'd save driving in the carpool lane.

In fact, I work 10 miles away from home, and my commute rarely takes more than 15 minutes.

Besides, allowing single passenger hybrid vehicles to utilize the carpool lane isn't a wise move if the purpose of the lane in the first place is to encourage people to "carpool". Ultimately I think carpool lanes are wrong anyway, because everyone's tax dollars are being used to build and maintain those lanes, yet there are conditions which must be met before those same taxpayers can use them.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
devin1955 said:
commuter said:
It's interesting that you know me enough to determine how much time I'd save driving in the carpool lane.

In fact, I work 10 miles away from home, and my commute rarely takes more than 15 minutes.
devin1955,

That is why I made the comment that "to each his own". I don't assume to "know you" from Adam. If you are only driving 10 miles to work of course you wouldn't benefit from the HOV stickers, but as I drive 75 miles one way on some of the worst freeways in Southern California, I find the advantage of having the stickers very beneficial. More time for me to spend with my family and not on the road. I know I could always try and find work closer to home, but I'm one of those weird guys who enjoys working for the company I work for, and that means I get to commute.

Your opinion of the carpool lanes should only be used for carpooling vehicles is a topic for another "post".

·
Registered
489 Posts
Plastering "big" and "ugly" stickers that can't be removed on your car seems like it might significantly reduce the resale value of your car. But that's just my view.

Is there any reason why there can't be just a small sticker on the rear plate? A police officer has to get behind your vehicle to pull you over and give you a citation anyway - that's why stickers on your rear plate are sufficient for showing that your car's registration is current. What reason could there be for having them on the side and front as well?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I bet you anything the stickers could be removed. Granted they're probably designed to self destruct upon removal. What you'd need is a plastic razor blade to scrape it off without damaging the paint and then some goo gone or thinner to remove the adhesive left over.

I like what Arizona does for HOV lane ok vehicles. They have a completely separate license plate for "alternative fuel" vehicles which you can tell the difference from a mile away.

·
Registered
57 Posts
nice.

i sent for my stickers yesterday as the fasttrack just came in the mail two days ago. I guess my expectation was correct, that these are the same ugly stickers the GX's have been seen wearing. and it sounds like my hope that the stickers are transparent and can be put in the side windows from the inside is shattered.

...and for the record, I checked both SULEV and Hybrid on the app form, since the insight is, well.. both.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: nice.

robgobbler said:
...and for the record, I checked both SULEV and Hybrid on the app form, since the insight is, well.. both.
Hoepfully this won't confuse our wonderful California DMV. :shock: :D :?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I got mine today too! But I'm a bit disappointed there are FOUR of the damn things. I'm really not sure I want to stick them on the quarter panels and wreck the paint. I thought there would just be one for the rear that I could stick on the rear glass panel.

As for the resale value, I think the stickers can only help, as they are limited in number and probably going fast.

·
Registered
57 Posts
As for the resale value, I think the stickers can only help, as they are limited in number and probably going fast.

they're limited and they.. like allow you to drive in the HOV lane 'n stuff. i think they' could only help sell the car.

anybody have any hunch how permanent this hybrids-allowed-in-the-hov-lane deal may be?? I'm beginning to wonder how long it's going to take for the "car pool" lane to turn into the "cars that look like transformers" lane.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The carpool-lane privilege for hybrids in CA runs through the end of 2007, when it expires automatically, so about 2 years and 4 months total. It could be renewed, but all bets are off at this point.

Anybody know how badly these stickers will wreck the paint on my car? I was thinking maybe I could put the side stickers on the two rear quarter windows, but the side stickers are even bigger than the bumper stickers, so they'll block the view out those little windows quite a bit. Any ideas? :?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts