Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting a hybrid, and just happened upon a green '00 with 29,000 miles for $15,000. Car looks clean, drives fine, couple of tiny scratches in the paint, otherwise looks very clean.

I'm going to try to get my hands on the maintenance records. I know there's a 30k service - we'll see if it's been done or not. Anything in particular I should look for? Should I get a buyer's inspection?

Any advice greatly appreciated - I'm feeling I ought to jump on this if it's not a dog. I love the green.

- Bob

·
Registered
274 Posts
That's way too much $$ for an "00".
There was a post yesterday where someone was looking at an 03 leftover CVT for $16,000.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I second the motion that the price is way high. An '00 with 30K, I think it should be in the $10K...and even that would be toward the high end. The models really haven't changed over the years, so it's a little easier to shop by mileage and condition.

One tool I used when shopping was to go to cars.com and get the list of insights nationwide. Then plot mileage vs price and drop in a line of best fit (I used Excel spreadsheet) but you could even eyeball it. This line will give you some idea of what the average price is based on miles. When I was looking back in February, 30K milers averaged about $11,500, but there were several nice cars below that as well. I wound up getting a 39K mile car from a dealer (looked like it had just driven off the showroom floor) for ~$9300.

Good Luck

·
Registered
700 Posts
I don't want to completely turn you against the car, since it sounds like it is probably in good shape, and like you said, you like the color. The "citrus" color is fairly uncommon, and Insights in generaly are hard to find. Citrus is, if nothing else, highly visible, eh?

Surely you have some serious room for price negotiation. I just wonder if you are already at a disadvantage since the asking price is so high. I don't think you could talk them down a third, which would be more reasonable.

If it is from a Honda dealer, has the certified extended warranty, no mechanical/electrical problems, and documented service, I don't think $11K would be unreasonable given the current demand associated with gas prices.

Still, in the end, it all comes down to how much you are willing to pay, and how much you want it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great - thanks for the advice. One thing to keep in mind is, this is Seattle, which is (I believe) a somewhat hotter market for hybrids. Still, probably not $15k worth of hot.

Kbb and Edmunds come in around $12k-$12,5. If the service records look good I might let myself get pushed up to $13, on account o' the citrus.

'course, I could just buy a used silver one and have it painted, no? Can you paint these things?

- Bob

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
bunner bob said:
Can you paint these things?
Sure, just like any car... but just like any car you'll have signs of "paint job" after the fact from overspray, non-repainted engine compartment, etc.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Remember that it is sometime worth it to "GO GET" an insight. Because of the high MPG is usually is not a problem to save money driving it home.

The price is a little high, I paid $11000 for mine in 10/04 with 15000 on it, PERFECT show room shape.

But you know, the Citrus Color is the Best color!

·
Registered
225 Posts
counselorkv said:
Remember that it is sometime worth it to "GO GET" an insight. Because of the high MPG is usually is not a problem to save money driving it home.
Absolutely. I had a nice 5 hour trip to pick mine up. Got home and still had half a tank left. Got exactly what I wanted and it is so worth it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
counselorkv said:
Remember that it is sometime worth it to "GO GET" an insight. ...
True...I was actually hoping to find one far enough away that I could fly out and take a "driving vacation" cross country for a few days...I was really looking for one on the west coast so I could drive through the Rockies and desert southwest. In the end, I wound up finding my car only ~250 miles away. As you say, though the market out there does seem to be a little hotter. In the end, I guess it's worth what ever you are willing to pay for it. And, I believe, you will have one of the rarest model/color schemes?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
My blue '01 5 speed with 45k miles was $9800 in Feb. this year in Norfolk, VA. Even then, I thought I paid a little too much. Since gas prices have jumped it looks like the same car would be around $10.5 k on E-bay. I would concur with the $11k for an '00 with 30k miles. This citrus might be worth a bit extra if you like it and plan to hold on to it a long time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got it! Not a screamin' deal, but didn't get soaked either. Got them down to $12,600. If I subtract 600 or so for the Citrus (which it's worth to me) that's $12k, which seems pretty good. It's in really sweet shape - only one small scratch low down on the bumper - should be able to retouch it. New battery, new tires. Stereo is an Alpine - XM-ready CD, removable face - seems decent (though I'm gonna have to work on the speaker side of things :) Lifetime mpg is 55.2.

No owner's manual though.

Thanks for all the help. I'm sure I'll be hanging out here plenty now...

- Bob

·
Registered
700 Posts
Congratulations!! On the car and the deal!

That's a reasonable LMPG. There's room for improvement, though. ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm afraid I'm gonna do this car the opposite of proud. It's a replacement for my 95 Prelude VTEC. What I'm thinking (at least now) is that I can actually DRIVE it and still end up with much better mileage than if I babied the Prelude. In reality I'll probably go for MPG when it suits me, and power when it makes sense. We shall see though - that meter is awfully good biofeedback...

- Bob

·
Registered
700 Posts
bunner bob said:
What I'm thinking (at least now) is that I can actually DRIVE it and still end up with much better mileage than if I babied the Prelude. In reality I'll probably go for MPG when it suits me, and power when it makes sense. We shall see though - that meter is awfully good biofeedback...

- Bob
Ha ha, that's what I thought, too. You can drive it without being too concerned and still get great mileage. Give yourself a few weeks behind the wheel. And short-shifting with a light throttle will make big difference when you are able (not in a hurry to get to speed).

You are dead right about the instantaneous mileage meter. It holds the secrets, and you will be allowed to learn when you are worthy... :wink:

·
Registered
75 Posts
CONGRATS!!

Another Citrus Yellow to a good owner..

I am glad you got him down a little and you will be really happy with your car. Welcome to the club and many happy miles!!

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
bunner bob said:
Got it! New battery, new tires.
Congratulations on a great purchase. I note that your Insight has new tires - are they the OEM Bridgestone RE92's? If not, you may take a small mileage hit but you should still get far better MPG than ever before.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Congrats on the purchase :D Don't feel obligated to keep the LMPG. I reset mine the moment I bought it, especially since the previous owner had 48. Now the LMPG is all mine (74.0).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts