Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 2002 Honda Insight CVT today. I got it for $12,000 and it has 43,000 miles on it. Sounds like a good deal, right? The previous owner gave me all the paperwork which showed he was meticulous about maintenance. The lifetime MPG is 47 and it was mostly city type driving (lots of stop lights and stop and go's). Does this sound like what the mileage should be? I live in a more rural setting and have pretty open roads for about 30 of my 37 mile commute to work. Does this mean i should expect an increase in MPG? Thanks for all the help, hopefully I enjoy driving this car as much as most of you whose posts I've read do.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi Jason762 and welcome to the forum :!: :)

Yes 47 MPG for a "city" driven CVT doesn't sound too bad. And you should be able to do much better with a higher percentage of "highway" miles.

Let us knnow how things work out. :)

Sincerely,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Jason!!! Like you, I just got an Insight as well. I also have a CVT and so far, my city driving is averaging in the high 50's-low 60's. I haven't even had it a week yet so this may be premature mileage, but I am really loving the car. I feel privileged to have it.

-Katie-

·
Registered
26 Posts
mileage

Hey Jason; Irecently aquired a 03/cvt, with 21k miles. My driving is mostly back and forth to work,going thru a lot of lights. I seem to be getting about 55mpg. I am very pleased with this mpg. Hope you enjoy yours. 8)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think high 50's to low 60's is a little optimistic for a CVT in city driving.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Hi Jason,
Sounds like a pretty good deal. What color is it? I have a 2002 as well, but mine's a 5 speed.

The lifetime mileage on yours sounds within reason.

You commute is about the same as mine and as long as the terrain isn't too terrible you should be able to get better than 47 mpg pretty easily. Then you will see the lifetime mileage slowly creep upwards and I'm certain you'll be driving with a smile.

Enjoy your new ride!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine is grey. So far I have been averaging 62 mpg to work from home and 58 mpg from work to home. Not too bad, I reset the lifetime MPG cause I don't really care how he drove the car. So far I'm pretty happy, a lot better mileage than my 02 Chevy Avalanche, 15 mpg on a good day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts