Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody,

Ever since I went to my dealer and ordered my Insight 2 very, very long months ago, I've been reading through this entire site and the forums in preparation for the arrival of my car.

My main concern is keeping the car interior cool because the word on the boards seems to be that HEAT = BAD for the IMA batteries. I've already purchased a sun visor for the windshield and made an appointment with a local window tinting place. Besides those two things and parking in the shade as often as possible, any owners who live in hot climates have any tips or ideas? I live in sunny Florida, so if any other fellow Floridians with experience read this, please reply!

All right, thanks for putting up with the newbie... :wink:

-Q

·
Registered
150 Posts
Run the AC

I'm in GA, so the temps aren't that cool here in the summer. It will cost you a few MPG, but I'd advise running the AC on 'ECON' mode, because the battery pack is fed cabin air year round for cooling (and warming in cold weather).
I judge it by 'sweat factor' : if I'm sweating in the car, it's time to turn on the AC :lol:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Hegel said:
Ever since I went to my dealer and ordered my Insight 2 very, very long months ago, I've been reading through this entire site and the forums in preparation for the arrival of my car.
You do know you could didn't have to wait so long or order the car locally. You could have contacted a dealership out of state and had it shipped to you. Even with the transport fees, I bet it would have cost you less and got to you sooner. I've bought a vehicle out of state before (I live in CA), and it was the best car buying experience ever! The Internet is great for finding the best prices too.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hegel said:
hello everybody,

Ever since I went to my dealer and ordered my Insight 2
Did you actually order an "Insight 2" from the dealer :?: I ask because there is no Insight 2, just a plain old regular Insight.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Greetings Hegel,
Open the windows about a half inch or so. That will help keep the cabin temps close to ambient. I live in LA so I know your concerns. I am in the car all day so it gets AC

Hegel said:
hello everybody,

My main concern is keeping the car interior cool because the word on the boards seems to be that HEAT = BAD for the IMA batteries. I've already purchased a sun visor for the windshield and made an appointment with a local window tinting place. Besides those two things and parking in the shade as often as possible, any owners who live in hot climates have any tips or ideas? I live in sunny Florida, so if any other fellow Floridians with experience read this, please reply!

All right, thanks for putting up with the newbie... :wink:

-Q

·
Registered
150 Posts
Spell vs. count

Insight two vs. Insight 2 :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
... darn grammar!

Err... sorry about the initial post. In all the excitement I wasn't clear on what I meant. I meant to write that I ordered my car 2 months ago... (I originally wrote "ordered my Insight 2 months ago"). So yeah, I hope I did not add to any rumors... :oops:

Thanks for all the replies. I've got my sunshade for the windshield and waiting for the window tinting. I'll be sure to crack them windows an inch and run the A/C once I feel the sweat tricklin', which shouldn't take to long down here unfortunately.

As far as having the car ordered from a neighboring state or doing the research on my own goes, I looked into Honda dealers in south Florida and none had them in stock. The experience at the Honda dealer I did visit was so refreshing, I ended up ordering the car from the dealership...

All right, sorry for the long post. Once again, thanks for the many replies!

-Q

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
If you want to get really in to keeping the car as cool as possible you need to do what I did and get a car cover. I had a covercraft custom fitted cover for mine until my Doberman decided to use it as a chew toy one day. Between cracking the windows and using the windshield cover the car would be less than 10 degrees above ambient temperature even when in the sun in a sea of black top parking lot. I recommend the tan flannel cover they make and just don't use it if the weather isn't perfectly clear out as it's an indoor cover. In the sun it will probably last you 2 to 3 years but I recommend it because it's the gentlest one they make for your paint. Of course you may not be as anal about your finish as I am where I always kept the car spottless and would run my duster over it before putting the cover on to prevent any dust from being stuck between the car and the cover.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Car Cover

I was considering looking into a car cover, but I live in apartment complex, so it would just be too much of a hassle... :?

As much as I want to keep the finish in good shape, the IMA takes priority for now. Hopefully in the future, I'll move into a house and I'll be able to keep the car in a garage and away from the elements.

On a side note, I'm finding it pretty funny that I've actually moved up performancewise by getting the Insight. I do have a sentimental attachment to my '95 Nissan Sentra, but I'll be all right letting it go.

-Q

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Figgy and a couple of others that live in warm climates or have dogs have installed solar powered exhaust fans at the back of their Insights. I believe he used four 5 inch box fans. Others have used two or one. If you use one per side they can be hidden inder the vent covers. 8)

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
He bought an Insight and waited 2 very long months to receive it.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

G

·
0 Posts
I live up in wine country and use a car cover on my car during the warm seasons. Not only does it keep the car a lot cooler, but people ask me all the time if it is new because the interior and exterior are immaculate. (I don't run a duster over my car first (too lazy) but I do keep the car clean and rinse it off if it gets dusty. ) I use the most compact custom car cover I could find (from JC Whitney, but I think it is CoverCraft), and I cut a whole in the top using a solder iron for the antenea to pop out. (The solder iron keeps it from getting the frizzies). My first cover lasted 3.5 years of full time use...no garage for my Insights....

It is a bit of a hassle, but I'm really speedy putting it on now, and it's just become habit. I highly recommend it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts