Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello. i've looked at a few dozen threads on body damage on the site - everything from serious accidents to hailstorm dents - and i'm not sure whether my situation applies. i'm sure it does. anyway, i just bought my insight last week, and while enjoying a film at a local art house, some clown, possibly on a bike or something, must have run into the back of the car. i live in key west and quite a few people get around bikes and scooters - drunk or sober. the damage is comprised of about a three-inch long surface gouge in the rear bumper just to the right of the license plate and a few deep scratches on the rear skirt. is this fixable without resorting to full replacement parts? will any reputable body shop be able to do the work? and finally, will this be a costly fix? thanks.

·
Registered
242 Posts
body damage

bix - any reputable body shop should be able to repair the bumper cover. The "skirt" - the black thing below the bumper cover (if that is what you're talking about) is just black plastic. I bought my Insight used - the skirt was trashed - I think a new one was $69.00 or $89.00 or so. I put it on myself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks jim. i wouldn't characterize my skirt as "trashed" but it's enough to bother me. i was a little hot the other day upon discovering the damage and only got to enjoy a pristine back end for about a week :evil: i'll get an estimate locally. i don't want to file a claim, and i'm 150 miles from the dealership.

i hope the question didn't sound stupid to you more experienced roadsters; i just wasn't certain if the bumper cover was made of a material unique to the insight, therefore requiring special treatment. as for the skirt replacement, are there any other accessories i need to order or can i just take all the clips and scews from the old one? anyone have a part number? thanks again.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hey bix,

There are two websites I would recommend that will give you genuine Honda parts below most dealership prices (even when shipping is factored in):

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com: Majestic Honda's website
http://www.hondapartsdeals.com: sometimes better pricing than Majestic (about $10 cheaper for the wheel skirt), website is slightly more clunky, but you can at least enlarge the pictures!

On either website, after putting in all the info about the car (year, etc.), pick "molding" from the list. Sometimes the hardest thing about finding parts is finding the right category! (e.g. the EGR valve is a "spool valve").

You probably don't need the screws and clips if they're all present on your car -- changing the skirt is really easy.

Good luck!
-fly

·
Registered
340 Posts
Most body shops can 'weld' up the gouge in the bumper with a plastics welder. The issue gets to painting it and getting the finish and the color to match. They would need to paint the whole bumper to do it. If the black piece is less than $100 then it would be best to replace it.
Does the gouge in the bumper go through all the coloring? If it does, then maybe you can get by good enough by just using touch up paint. You can keep putting layers of the touch up and eventually filling the slot. It won't look like new, but may look ok.
I'm not sure if all the new parts come pre-colored or not for the Insight. I know some parts are.
My guess is that it'll cost $200-$400 for doing the bumper. Good luck with it. I feel your pain.
Robert

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks all. i found the rear skirt at majestic, and it is under $100. provided all the accessories are present on the car, i'll just order a new one and install it myself. 8)

as for the bumper cover: the gouge is all the way through to the black. and because it's a gouge, the sharp edges around the damaged area protrude ever so slightly. that said, not sure if repeated applications of touch-up paint will work. i checked majestic and it seems a new replacement bumper cover arrives unpainted. i guess i could get an estimate on the plastic welding and if it's too high, attempt to touch it up. i just know how i get with things like touch-up paint. i have a feeling i won't be able to live with it. i appreciate the suggestions. i'm so freakin' bummed. poor little hybee. :cry:
-bix

1 - 6 of 6 Posts