Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi ! So, i want to replace my radio head unit and i was wondering if anyone has a oem display head unit with radio code they could sell me! I only found 2 on ebay but the seller is brain dead thinking someone will pay 200+$ for a outdated crappy head unit for a unpopular car when they can just get a nice aftermarket one with that price that does so much more! But i was justing seeing if i can pick one up for like 50$ instead of getting a cheap'o head unit for the same amount.

So, my question is ! Where can i find one that's priced normally. I may call up a junkyard and ask but i find them rude and more of a scam. But if anyone has installed a aftermarket one thats around 150 let me know if its any good and how was the wire job?

**UPDATE**
HOW would i connect the stock USB to a head unit? !!!!!!!!!!!!!
im going with a kenwood
https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-DDX25BT-Monitor-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B075FFRM67/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1537329510&sr=8-3-fkmr1&keywords=Kenwood+DDX26BT

·
Registered
84 Posts
Got me a 10" aftermarket android head unit.
Much better than the OEM.
Con: no integration of the reverse camera. Haven't yet found out how to do that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Got me a 10" aftermarket android head unit.
Much better than the OEM.
Con: no integration of the reverse camera. Haven't yet found out how to do that.
How did you wire it? only reason why im not going after market is without a guide i can't strip the wires and connect them to the aftermarket one.....

*EDIT* , So, i bought a trim panel and now im just gonna buy a aftermarket head unit cause everyone selling on ebay is smoking crack and wants over a 150$- 225$ when i can just get a nice pienoor head unit with apple car play! It's a shame they don't want to sell it for 50$ they can enjoy keeping it for 10 years cause no one will ever buy it for that price.

So......... any recommendations for a good head unit under 130-200$ nothing of the cheap non brand ebay stuff i dont trust how long it will last

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Why not use a wiring harness from Metra or Scosche? They plug into the factory harness and have labeled wires to connect to the plug that comes with an aftermarket head unit. They make them for the speakers as well.

By the way, you cannot use a factory NAV unit in a Honda that did not come with one from the factory. The vehicle wiring harness is different.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Ali2627, your profile location is ca, lower case. That usually means Canada. If you are in California, that would be CA, the postal designation. Anyway, if you are in CA, you might want to sign up for promo codes from Fry's electronics. They send you an email daily with a bunch of stuff you can by cheap using the code.
The head units under $100. do not have Apple Car Play, but most do support suri eyes free. You are gonna be over $200. to get a unit with a touch screen that does Car Play and will display a rear view camera.

The junk yards are in the oem replacement business, not necessarily selling stuff cheap. And, like I said, a better unit from a different model wouldn't necessarily work anyway.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
All three are good choices for entry level double din multi media players. None of those do Apple car play. But all would allow control of an iPhone or android device connected by bluetooth or usb. Those all seem to have the usb connection on the rear, there are other units with a usb behind a little door on the front.

No matter what you get, ups will need:

https://www.amazon.com/Metra-40-HD11-2009-Up-Antenna-Adapter/dp/B003E3MLB6/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Honda|59&Model=Insight|927&Year=2010|2010&ie=UTF8&n=1077068&s=car&vehicleId=4&vehicleType=automotive

And:

https://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-1729-Wiring-Harness-2008-Up/dp/B001JT3NZK

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All three are good choices for entry level double din multi media players. None of those do Apple car play. But all would allow control of an iPhone or android device connected by bluetooth or usb. Those all seem to have the usb connection on the rear, there are other units with a usb behind a little door on the front.

https://www.amazon.com/Metra-40-HD11-2009-Up-Antenna-Adapter/dp/B003E3MLB6/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Honda|59&Model=Insight|927&Year=2010|2010&ie=UTF8&n=1077068&s=car&vehicleId=4&vehicleType=automotive

And:

You know a video or thred where it explains what wire to connect to what wire? Cause once i open up my stock radio im just gonna connect the colors that match hah and i assume some wont

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
Use the Metra kit. No need to hack your harness to save $8.00. You're going to need a metra kit for mounting it as well.

And I have to say this. I helped a friend buy a Miata with a cheap head unit like you're talking about. I didn't like it and she hated it. The display wasn't bright enough to see in the daytime, no nav, and the radio wasn't anything to brag about. It wasn't user friendly. Just crap. We ended up replacing it with a stock unit, which she loves, and she gave the other one away.

What are you expecting to gain by this exchange?

Sam

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Use the Metra kit. No need to hack your harness to save $8.00. You're going to need a metra kit for mounting it as well.

And I have to say this. I helped a friend buy a Miata with a cheap head unit like you're talking about. I didn't like it and she hated it. The display wasn't bright enough to see in the daytime, no nav, and the radio wasn't anything to brag about. It wasn't user friendly. Just crap. We ended up replacing it with a stock unit, which she loves, and she gave the other one away.

What are you expecting to gain by this exchange?

Sam
Hell these are way better than the stock 2end gen head units i have the buttons only one. I was thinking of getting the lx head unit the touch screen with nav but its outdated crap looks like a 2005 computer. Ive read and seen youtube reviews the brightness is actually blinding in some of these and needs to be lowered. I will buy the wire kit and ive ordered someones old plastic pannel from ebay from a insight that has the nav display.
My main goal is to make it look modern inside and get Bluetooth with the back up camera for the head unit my currect back up camera is using a small screen that came with it and it sits inside my cup holders. hah but it works flawless

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
I hope you're happy with whatever you get.

Sam

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder why my topic hasn't taken off..... does no one change the head unit for the insight? am i the only crazy one? hah

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

And:

Hi many thanks! I have a super imporant question im going with the kenwood (link on the topic post) and i want to use the OEM USB input thats in the arm rest what wire would i need to get it connected to the kenwood it has a regular USB input built in the head unit but its on the back of it for some reason and i dont want to attach a male to female adapter and have a getto work around

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I'm confused. You say you have a usb connector in the center console. That means you have an EX, not an LX or the very base model that they only made a couple of years. That means you already have the upgraded radio such as it is. The NAV unit is not any better sound wise. Actually, the NAV unit is very outdated, it does not even do traffic. (the units starting in 2012 were better)

I think I would ignore the factory usb and just run a male-female cord where you want it. Or just upgrade to a unit that has usb on the front. Our Insight has NAV and my wife has a usb to lighting cable running out ion the center console all the time. Looks pretty messy to me and it's stock. The cover of the armrest also cuts into the cord when it's down. I think that connection point is made for either leaving an old iPod in or a thumb drive with music on it. It's stupid place to connect a phone.

I suggest you go to Kenwood's site (and Pioneer's too) and look at the different models and find one that does what you want. Then find a good price on it.

Also: you are post this in the general area and not the mod section at the bottom. Down there are old threads folks made when they upgraded audio.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm confused. You say you have a usb connector in the center console. That means you have an EX, not an LX or the very base model that they only made a couple of years. That means you already have the upgraded radio such as it is. The NAV unit is not any better sound wise. Actually, the NAV unit is very outdated, it does not even do traffic. (the units starting in 2012 were better)

I think I would ignore the factory usb and just run a male-female cord where you want it. Or just upgrade to a unit that has usb on the front. Our Insight has NAV and my wife has a usb to lighting cable running out ion the center console all the time. Looks pretty messy to me and it's stock. The cover of the armrest also cuts into the cord when it's down. I think that connection point is made for either leaving an old iPod in or a thumb drive with music on it. It's stupid place to connect a phone.

I suggest you go to Kenwood's site (and Pioneer's too) and look at the different models and find one that does what you want. Then find a good price on it.

Also: you are post this in the general area and not the mod section at the bottom. Down there are old threads folks made when they upgraded audio.

Idk mine doesn't have the nav head unit but it seems to be fully loaded with mud flaps,trunk liner, alloy wheels etc. But anywho im not getting the OEM nav its outdated as you said, im getting the kenwood head unit but this is my first time so like the wire kit that was linked above will really help me just thought you or someone would know if i can still connect the oem usb cable from the arm rest up you may find it annoying but i like all the wires to be hidden rather than just hang from the radio.

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
You don't think the Kenwood you referenced has Nav, do you?

Sam

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
Ok. It just sounded like that was what you were trying to get.

Sam

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
About this Discussion
47 Replies
9 Participants
Garrydhu
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing