Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
hey guys question! So i have front right speaker wire + and - that comes from the head unit. ( 2 wires ) but the car harness only has 1 gray wire. Do i connect both + and - into the 1 dash wire? or connect the + to the dash and just connect the - to the black ground wire that the head unit is connected too?

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
The radio harness and the Metra harness should both be marked. Then you just plug the Metra plug into the car.

Sam

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The radio harness and the Metra harness should both be marked.

Sam
Hahah sorry im dumb i was looking at the list and it was the next up yes it has a wire.

But ive noticed a dimmer line thats suppose to be orange with a white strip is not there on the harness to be connected maybe the car wire has it but ill check in the morning. What color would it be?

Its the line that dims the head unit once the headlights are on. That should be my last question before i hook it up tomrw

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
The Kenwood that I'm looking at has an orange/white wire that is not connected to anything labeled "Illumi". The Metra harness has an orange wire labeled :Illumination/dash: that isn't connected to anything. Try connecting these two wires and see if it works.

Sam

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The Kenwood that I'm looking at has an orange/white wire that is not connected to anything labeled "Illumi". The Metra harness has an orange wire labeled :Illumination/dash: that isn't connected to anything. Try connecting these two wires and see if it works.

Sam
The solid orange wire is connected (or will be once i put it back in tmrw)
the orange wire says its Illumination and its fine the problem is the Dimmer line is missing on the mesa kit but the head unit kit has a line. Is illumination and dimmer the same thing? I believe the dimmer should be a separate line from the illumination. Also, another question I bought that antenna kit from that you linked on the first page of this topic. Would i connect the blue wire from the antenna to the head unit or the car wire harness? or both ?

thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
Sorry. I'm a G1 guy and have never even sat in a G2. I have no idea about G2 wiring. I've just put several radios in my G1s and other cars, and I've never had a problem with the Metra kits. You should be able to download G2 wiring diagrams somewhere on this site.

If the dimmer wire doesn't work with the Illumination wire, you could probably connect it to the light switch or something.

Sam

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hey question!

I have an antenna wire (blue) to connect. The car wire harness has a blue wire / the radio kit has a blue wire for an antenna. But i ordered another connector that connects to the radio antenna and that also has a blue wire for the antenna. So what would i connect? I was thinking of just mixing all 3 wires together.

(Head unit wire kit) + (Car wire harness) + (Antenna cable adapter kit)

Here is a link of the antenna cable adapter kit that i think i may? need to connect to the car harness and ingore the head unit harness?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E3MLB6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

right now i hooked it up like so (antenna kit to head unit)

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
You need to look at the wiring diagram for the car and figure out where the wire from the antenna goes with the stock radio.

Sometimes the "antenna" wire in the kits just operate a power antenna.

Sam

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought one of these aerial adaptor cable things. Does it need the power connected to 12v too or is it just the aerial apaptor plug part?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
uhh i just connected it to the cars harness just see if ur radio works if it does than u did it right

·
Registered
273 Posts
Use the Metra kit. No need to hack your harness to save $8.00. You're going to need a metra kit for mounting it as well.

And I have to say this. I helped a friend buy a Miata with a cheap head unit like you're talking about. I didn't like it and she hated it. The display wasn't bright enough to see in the daytime, no nav, and the radio wasn't anything to brag about. It wasn't user friendly. Just crap. We ended up replacing it with a stock unit, which she loves, and she gave the other one away.

What are you expecting to gain by this exchange?

Sam
Hoping for a reply ,Kate I know but here's hoping- my 2012 es hasn't got Bluetooth or satnav,if I buy a stock nav unit it is it a pain to install ? What extras etc do I need/ thank you

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hoping for a reply ,Kate I know but here's hoping- my 2012 es hasn't got Bluetooth or satnav,if I buy a stock nav unit it is it a pain to install ? What extras etc do I need/ thank you
You need a new radio, the Honda-to-ISO wiring adapter which addresses speakers and power - most don't add more than that. Additionally, you will need the antenna adapter to connect the Insight's antenna to the input of your new radio. Beware, there is a +12 line to the antenna, which should be wired to the ACC to eneble the antenna amplifier. Without that, you won't have any reception. If you have the steering wheel controls, there is an option to rewire that to your new ISO radio, too, but I have lost the link. Is on Youtube, though.

·
Registered
273 Posts
You need a new radio, the Honda-to-ISO wiring adapter which addresses speakers and power - most don't add more than that. Additionally, you will need the antenna adapter to connect the Insight's antenna to the input of your new radio. Beware, there is a +12 line to the antenna, which should be wired to the ACC to eneble the antenna amplifier. Without that, you won't have any reception. If you have the steering wheel controls, there is an option to rewire that to your new ISO radio, too, but I have lost the link. Is on Youtube, though.
Thanks boy,I'll definitely invest in an aftermarket or stock nav unit, badly miss my Bluetooth could live without GPS if I had to, worried about getting a guy to fit same in Cork (expensive as you know) have a buddy who's an auto electrician but I'll go elsewhere ( he's Uber busy )if you know of anyonr local could you keep me on mind pls👍

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks boy,I'll definitely invest in an aftermarket or stock nav unit, badly miss my Bluetooth could live without GPS if I had to, worried about getting a guy to fit same in Cork (expensive as you know) have a buddy who's an auto electrician but I'll go elsewhere ( he's Uber busy )if you know of anyonr local could you keep me on mind pls👍
Give me a shout. I'm currently between jobs, so I need something to keep me busy!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Give me a shout. I'm currently between jobs, so I need something to keep me busy!
Thank you I'm looking on eBay etc , appreciate the offer, maybe we can work something out ,I'm a luddite but a good decorator( painter)so prepared to do a bit of painting etc as a payback,you still in the same area ?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thank you I'm looking on eBay etc , appreciate the offer, maybe we can work something out ,I'm a luddite but a good decorator( painter)so prepared to do a bit of painting etc as a payback,you still in the same area ?
Is your unit ok,happy enough with it? Steering wheel function etc?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
if you want i can sell you the din ( plasic radio holder part of the car) i have a spare one. use a aftermarket radio whatever u find off ebay thats 100$ is good anything cheaper and its crappy. pm me if u want the din kit for like 10$

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
About this Discussion
47 Replies
9 Participants
Garrydhu
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing