Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've noticed something strange. When my speedometer glows green I assume I am driving more fuel efficiently than when it is blue-green. But when I switch over to the battery/fuel pump screen on the MID it often shows I'm using only when it's green and battery + gas when it's blue-green.

Isn't it better to be getting battery assist for best fuel efficiency rather than just gas alone? Why doesn't that correspond to the colors? Maybe I am missing something.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Listen! green light, blue light, mid shows,
Crazy little woman in a one man show
Mirror queen, mannequin, rhythm of love
Sweet dream, saccharine, loosen up

Oh, its not a song by deaf lepoard? The green means you are driving efficient, the more blue the less.

In my experience the least you use of the electric the better your fuel economy is over all. As you use the electric it needs to be put back and this eats away at your fuel economy. I try to drive with just the gas logo and coast as long as possible without using the brakes to keep the battery full.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The Speedometer colors use a "relative measurement" for assesing how efficient you are driving. For that current driving condition, whether it be a hill, or acceleration, or decceleration, or driving on a flat surface: If the light is green, you are driving efficiently for that condition. Light Blue is somewhat efficient. Dark Blue is not efficient for that condition.

If you're driving on a flat surface,and aren't accelerating, more than likely you won't be using any assist, just gas. But the Engine is very efficient. Especially in the 25-40mph range. If you can cruise on flat surfaces at those speeds, you can easily hit 60+mpg.

But again, the green/teal/blue is all relative. You can be getting 25mpg and still be in the green. And, you can be getting upwards of 50mpg(or even infinity if you slam on the brakes) and still be in the deep blue. It just all depends on the conditions that you are driving in.

After a while, you'll just ignore the colors. They're there for a reason. They train people who are used to just zipping around, flooring it, and stamping on the brakes, to drive a bit less aggressive.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The Speedometer colors use a "relative measurement" for assesing how efficient you are driving. For that current driving condition, whether it be a hill, or acceleration, or decceleration, or driving on a flat surface: If the light is green, you are driving efficiently for that condition. Light Blue is somewhat efficient. Dark Blue is not efficient for that condition.

If you're driving on a flat surface,and aren't accelerating, more than likely you won't be using any assist, just gas. But the Engine is very efficient. Especially in the 25-40mph range. If you can cruise on flat surfaces at those speeds, you can easily hit 60+mpg.

But again, the green/teal/blue is all relative. You can be getting 25mpg and still be in the green. And, you can be getting upwards of 50mpg(or even infinity if you slam on the brakes) and still be in the deep blue. It just all depends on the conditions that you are driving in.

After a while, you'll just ignore the colors. They're there for a reason. They train people who are used to just zipping around, flooring it, and stamping on the brakes, to drive a bit less aggressive.

Great way to explain it. I rarely ever pay attention to the changing colours. You are quite right. The changing colours are a tool to retrain one how to drive efficiently. I have to say it works quite well.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes thanks for the great explanation. Now I have a more informed idea of what I'm looking at with the ambient meter and eco guide readouts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts