Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about 6 year absence, I return with tales of the 2010 Honda Insight.

Over the 8 years, 2 months, and 1 week of owning the insight here are the collective details.

1) I've driven 145K km on it and I still love it, my wife drives it with our daughter these days.

2) Averaging 5.4L/100km (~43.6 MPG US), this is slowing going up, until last year I was averaging 5.2L/100km (~45.2 MPG US).

3) My best full gas tank to ~0.5 L left was 4.7L per 100km (~50 MPG), that was a little over 820 km of driving.

4) I've installed a baby seat in the back, the only place it fits is the passenger back, and only specific models of baby seats work, the front gets uncomfortable unless you're a small person, or wish to nap on the dash.

5) I've had the dealership maintained all this except for a few things noted below. They also did the airbag recall, and the rubber stripping, and ECU updates on it.

6) I was on the original OEM tires for 105K km (with 3mm left on it), rotated with my original Toyo Observe GO2 (winters) - lasted to 135K km. That was about 70K km on OEM, and 65K km on the Toyos.

7) I had my front fender taken out in the parking lot by a careless S.O.B in a pickup with several witness around. Replaced at a body shop, the quoted difference was just crazy ~ 1K difference.

8 ) I replaced my side markers, dome lights, the security light (the 2 small ones near the DRL) and trunk lights with LEDs. I still need to do the ones in the back light assembly and plates. The side markers and security light burnt out around 120K km, and after the fender bender, so I decided to go LED all the way.

9) I've gone through 4 complete set of wipers as of this winter.

10) I finally had to change the original OEM 151R battery after 145K KM with a 51R. It actually showed signs of failing last year but the dealer claimed 80% good, and this year after my winters were put in the dealer said the same (but 75%) -- and a no need to replace. But with the first major cold spell the battery died in my driveway refusing to start.

I still love my insight (and it remained fairly stock until recently), it's no speed demon, but it's provided first me then my new family a stable, dependable, and great driving experience!

I was sad to hear they end of life it, and I'm looking for another 4 to 5 years out of the Insight hoping to see a Gen 3 out by then!

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,383 Posts
What summer tires did you end up getting? I'm doing about 3 MPG better than your stats using Bridgestone Ecopias sized 175/65/R15. Ecopias were spec'd for 2011's and above, but in 2012 they switched to a larger tire size.

I also run my tires at 48 PSI which is a bit higher than sidewall. But I also have coroplast panels under the bottom of the car to smooth the air flow, so maybe our numbers would be about the same if I removed them.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What summer tires did you end up getting? I'm doing about 3 MPG better than your stats using Bridgestone Ecopias sized 175/65/R15. Ecopias were spec'd for 2011's and above, but in 2012 they switched to a larger tire size.

I also run my tires at 48 PSI which is a bit higher than sidewall. But I also have coroplast panels under the bottom of the car to smooth the air flow, so maybe our numbers would be about the same if I removed them.
I ended up getting Toyo Versado Eco 175/65/R15 (All seasons - which just means late spring, summer, and mid fall to me) -- They were the lightest ones the dealer had at the time. Quality of them overall seems average, I had a flat 2 months after the tires were replaced (leakage out the side wall), then 12 months after that the same happen on the opposite side. Neither Toyo nor the dealer would pro-rate neither tire saying wear and tire. I suspect I had 2 defectives ones still.

The PSI does make a difference in the mileage (~0.5 L/100 km, ~1 MPG US), but if I put in more than 5 PSI over the Versado's tends to "screech" when it hugs the road on roundabouts or tight turns. I run them at 1 or 2 PSI higher than recommended, on the old OEM (Dunlops), I had them at 7 PSI over recommended with out the same issues.

I think the worsening mileage in the last year were a combination of bad 12v battery and dual drivers now. I had been using an EeePC to log it all but when the Raspberry PI came out I switched, then again when the Raspberry Pi Zero with the OBD-II to log all the data and dump it into a spreadsheet, the difference in driver use is about 1L/100KM which is enough to slowly track the decline in good mileage. The leaf training I had and did really trained me to drive the insight differently than my wife's regular car driving habits.

I love the shield idea on the bottom of the car, unfortunately I don't have access to anything that will allow me to make or install something that fancy. :-|

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking of actually getting under the car to find a good spot to put it into or actually have enough clearance to use a drill..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
nameless00
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing