Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm using a Prolong charger to do a recalibration of my 2000 Honda Insight's Bumblebee battery. I followed Hybrid Automotive's instructions to do a full charge / balance (I went 30 hours), then switched to using light bulbs to discharge the battery, stepping down wattage as recommended until it was at 96volts.

When I plugged the charger back in, the charge amount flickered between values, changing about 2-3 times a second, with readings like .347, .388, .441, .566, -.001, etc. This slowly stabilized at .347 A by the time my battery was around 130 volts.

Should I expect this number to fluctuate when charging back up from low voltages, or is that cause for concern?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,952 Posts
The charger will fluctuate like that when at low voltages. IIRC, when the charge voltage get within 50 volts of the max charger output it quits bouncing. So the charger is rated for 180v it should quit bouncing around 130v

Scott

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Scott!

This isn't the first time your knowledge has come to my rescue, and I imagine it won't be the last.

I wasn't driving my car enough during quarantine, and got a 1447 IMA code. I'm doing the full 5-charge, 3-discharge cycle hoping that will put some life back in it.

All the best, and stay safe out there!

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
^ How "new" is your Bumblebee pack? Might be worth contacting Bumblebee and asking them what maintenance they would recommend for your particular vintage pack. I don't think they recommend discharging, mainly that deep but possibly at all. And it might vary depending on whether you have a later-vintage pack vs. earlier.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My bumblebee battery is older than I'd thought, definitely out of warranty. I got it in mid 2017. It's a good suggestion to contact them all the same, I'll ask what they recommend.

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
^ Ha, yeah, I know how it is. Anything less than say 5 years old seems new to me... Let us know how things go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts