Honda Insight Forum banner

1661 - 1680 of 1713 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Eli, it's going to higher voltage than I expected. 175V and climbing. I'm considering pulling the plug till I hear back from you. My charger is limited to 200V (350 MA), so I'm concerned it could go high enough to cause damage.

I'm charging the replacement Bumblebee now. Dash display: pack was one or two bars down from max when I started charging.

Charging voltage is going higher than I saw when grid charging the previous (deteriorated) Bumblebee. Here are the early notes:

IMA CHARGE DEC 3, 2016

Set up, not yet charging:
164.07 V
7:46 a.m. 164.3x V
7:46 164.7x V
7:48. 165.13V
7:54 166.11V
8:48 171.09 V
(+5V in an hour!)
9:45 173.33 V
10:21 173.84V
11:50 175.04 V
12:20 175.31 V
12:31. 175.44 V
Ended grid charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
6,916 Posts
Don't pay any attention to the absolute voltage, it depends on too many things. If it's still climbing, the batteries are still taking charge. That's a good thing.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Eli, the car has sat unused since that charge cycle.

Should I resume charging today?
Or wait about three-six months for the next charge cycle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
6,916 Posts
So you charged for a bit less than 5hrs? Something like 1.5Ah input.

Eh. I wouldn't worry about it too much lol... Just maybe do the next one closer to 3mo rather than 6mo end of things..

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
P1449

Well, finally pushed my IMA battery to the limit and got a P1449( 78 ) Module Deterioration code set just after taking a good Autocross run. Of course, I'm in Florida at the moment, and my Genesis grid charger is in Madison. I'm thinking about having a friend send my charger down to me. But before I did that, I wanted to check about Grid Chargers that are already in FL. From the 99mpg list, I see that GH might have one in Springhill, FL. Not sure there is a good way to make contact, but I'll be up in Brooksville (near Springhill) this weekend (1/14 & 15, 2017) for some autocross with my partly disabled Bluesight. I'm all harnessed and such, so it would just be a case of plugging up and doing the charger settings. Maybe borrowing for a week would work since I'm scheduled to be at another Brooksville autocross on the 20/21st. I'm hoping it will help, but not overly optimistic...

B

PS...I have a discharge option on my Genesis at home, and I get the feeling I may need that, so maybe this won't work...

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Well, finally pushed my IMA battery to the limit and got a P1449( 78 ) Module Deterioration code set just after taking a good Autocross run. Of course, I'm in Florida at the moment, and my Genesis grid charger is in Madison. I'm thinking about having a friend send my charger down to me. But before I did that, I wanted to check about Grid Chargers that are already in FL. From the 99mpg list, I see that GH might have one in Springhill, FL. Not sure there is a good way to make contact, but I'll be up in Brooksville (near Springhill) this weekend (1/14 & 15, 2017) for some autocross with my partly disabled Bluesight. I'm all harnessed and such, so it would just be a case of plugging up and doing the charger settings. Maybe borrowing for a week would work since I'm scheduled to be at another Brooksville autocross on the 20/21st. I'm hoping it will help, but not overly optimistic...

B

PS...I have a discharge option on my Genesis at home, and I get the feeling I may need that, so maybe this won't work...
If you've already done grid charging and discharging on a semi-regular basis, discharging probably isn't necessary. There may indeed be some benefit from it, but if you've discharged in the last 12 months, most of the goody is going to be in the charge unless your pack is severely deteriorated.

I wouldn't ship something as precious as a GC01... :)

I'd like to offer the suggestion that if you can't find a nearby charger, and your 12V is healthy, you bypass the IMA system until you can get back to your charger.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Maybe a reprieve...I disconnected the 12V battery for about an hour, and after reconnecting, the CEL/IMA codes were cleared, and everything seems to be back to "normal", whatever that is. "Forced" clearing with an external OBD tool did NOT keep the codes away. Even with the P1449 code, the IMAC&C (through the OBDIIC&C) was kind of working. I could force charge through the IMAC&C, though I didn't test forced assist. The BVO got up to 170 and the SOC got to full, which is what has typically been the case. The engine started on the IMA rather than the 12V starter. So it wasn't a total IMA fail. I'm probably on the edge, as has probably been the case for the last year. But, for now, things seem to be OK. If I find the Springhill grid charger connection, it still might be good to do a soaking charge rather than continuing to rely on the IMAC&C (and IMA Boost) forced (and tickover) charge.

I often need to clear codes when I am racing because there are occasional glitches if I use the IMAC&C to force charge but end up causing the engine to stall due to loading. It may be that once enough code counts are collected, the IMA smarts decide that something is really bad news and sets a permanent P1449. Disconnecting the battery for a long enough time might end up clearing that history and giving me the new lease. At least that's what I'll hope for...

B

·
Registered
490 Posts
Grid charge in progress. It's only for preventative reasons; I last did it about 2 months ago, Dec. 3.

Eli recommended another charge in about 3 months but... I jumped the gun by a few weeks.
If I recall, the SOC display on dash was one bar down from max when I started.

Starting: 164.89 V, 10:57 a.m.
Charged 3 hrs. 40 min., 177.93V, and climbing.
Charged 6 hrs. 30 min, 178.46 V, climbing very slowly.

About 30ºF outside and the IMA fan is running.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Bruce,
Let us know if it hits 180 and how fast it gets there. My experience is a battery going to 180 in less than 12 hours is a bad battery. But it sounds like you doing this as a preventative measure sounds like you have a good battery. So on that note....I'll just stay confused. :confused:
Gerald

·
Registered
490 Posts
Bruce,
Let us know if it hits 180 and how fast it gets there. My experience is a battery going to 180 in less than 12 hours is a bad battery. But it sounds like you doing this as a preventative measure sounds like you have a good battery. So on that note....I'll just stay confused. :confused:
Gerald
Remember - its a newish Bumblebeed. It's voltage behavior could be different from the oem ones.

It's a warranty replacement from Eli, so I'm not certain whether it has new cells or a previously used BB that he refurbished. But anyway it's been "running" just great.

Eli encouraged me to grid charge it 24 hours but... I'm not promising to run it that long. Right now it's just over 8 hours. Nasty outside, and dinner is ready, so I'll check V again later!

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
I'm sorry did not read it's a newer replacement Eli BB battery. I never had one so please ignore my comment above. Eli's forgotten more than I know.
Gerald

·
6,916 Posts
Good numbers(for a new pack @ ~30F). :) You're at a pretty high SoC already. I don't think you need to go longer than 8hrs or so.

There really is such thing as too much of a good thing....

·
Registered
490 Posts
Grid Charge Update:

Starting 10:57 a.m., 164.89 V
Charged 3 hrs. 40 min., 177.93V, and climbing.
Charged 6 hrs. 30 min, 178.46 V, climbing very slowly.
Charged 9 hrs. 12 min, 178.42 V

About 30ºF outside and the IMA fan is running.

Um, Voltage has dropped a bit. I remember that from previous charge cycles on my old oem battery. A sign of cells topping up? Should I end the grid charge?

·
6,916 Posts
Yes, should probably stop. It's done.

Looks like my 8hr prescription was right on target. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am a wannabe insighter. If/when I get one, I would be interested in a grid charger. I am also a cheap SOB and would be more interested in contacting nearby fellow insighters and renting one for a small fee. I would think that a 12 pack of good beer would be a fare rental fee. :D I would guess that within a half hour drive, there are a few.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I am a wannabe insighter. If/when I get one, I would be interested in a grid charger. I am also a cheap SOB and would be more interested in contacting nearby fellow insighters and renting one for a small fee.
The problem with your plan is that a grid charger requires a custom wiring harness that's permanently attached to the battery pack to which a grid charger attaches when it's in use. If your Insight already has a charger harness installed, you'd still need to find a charger that has a plug that matches your harness' socket. Installing a charging harness isn't quick and easy because one of the connectors on the battery pack is difficult to access.

If you plan to keep your Insight, you'll need to use a grid charger regularly to keep your battery pack healthy, so you should build or buy one of your own.

1661 - 1680 of 1713 Posts
About this Discussion
1.7K Replies
185 Participants
solartony
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing