Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For recently bought 2002 cvt for my rolling museum piece w/ 430k, been sitting for 3-4 yrs, battery history unknown, but has taken some charge.

·
Premium Member
9,759 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,889 Posts
You would get a fair amount of disagreement on this question. Undoubtedly the Hybrid Automotive equipment is first rate, particularly if you buy both their charger and their programmable discharger. You can spend $650-700 for the pair, probably about what you bought the car for. Thought there is disagreement on discharging also, most think it is valuable.

You CAN buy a charger and then rig or buy a cheap light bulb discharger, but you will have some operational problems with that setup. On discharge the battery voltage will fall very rapidly in the deep discharge region. Since there is no automated termination, you have to watch it like a hawk to hit your voltage targets.

There are a couple of chargers usually for sale on eBay that various folks have bought, the RB Batteries, and the Maxx Volt. I really don't have an opinion on the quality of either. Apparently each of the chargers can be used with a light bulb discharger, but harness wiring is important. If there is a diode in the charge line, then light bulb dischargers may not work. Either can be had for $150-200 if you shop around. You can use the search function to see what folks have to say about each.

·
Super Moderator
6,889 Posts
Just using a LED power supply won't give you any 12V for your battery fan. You should never charge without the fan running.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the tips! Bought for some learnin’ + preserve a milestone car. Finding special vehicles and preserving them has been my avocation for decades.

·
Super Moderator
6,889 Posts
Doesn't sound right to me. Afaik all the chargers run the battery fan continuously. Don't know the wiring scheme for HA charger. Double check the directions. The battery fan may be defective. You could check that by just jumping a 12V battery to it. Failing all else, contact HA.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My friend installed the grid charger harness on my 2000 Insight this year (done properly). With the second charge, the battery fan gave out (only twitched). Decided to replace the fan with OEM part. Now works fine, and battery was successfully rejuvenated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts