Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings, all. I recently purchased a Prolong grid charger and have been reviewing the installation instructions. I bought the version with the discharge option and I see in the instructions that there is a bullet connector on the red wire that must be disconnected for routing purposes and then reconnected.

What I don't see, and what has me confused, is anything about where this wire attaches to the car. I am planning to install the grid charger this afternoon and am trying to avoid getting stuck with the car half disassembled. Can anyone offer any insight into this? Thanks!

Edit: I should probably mention that this is for a G1 Insight.

·
Super Moderator
1,560 Posts
The buddy spade connector connects to the large resistor on the left side of the pack. On the HybridAutomotive web site, under installation instructions it is in pictures 15 & 16 in the Insight instructions. In picture 15 the battery is removed from the car only for the photo. The resistor is basically directly below the 2 large orange cables. The connection on the resistor is the one toward the front of the car.

If you need to ask questions today you can call me 909-605-3810, PST.

HTH,
Scott

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
The buddy spade connector connects to the large resistor on the left side of the pack. On the HybridAutomotive web site, under installation instructions it is in pictures 15 & 16 in the Insight instructions. In picture 15 the battery is removed from the car only for the photo. The resistor is basically directly below the 2 large orange cables. The connection on the resistor is the one toward the front of the car.

If you need to ask questions today you can call me 909-605-3810, PST.

HTH,
Scott
Thanks Scott, you are correct :) Captain Torque, here is the link to the instructions. Like Scott said, steps 15 & 16 show the red charge positive wire connection:
https://hybridautomotive.com/pages/install-i1.html

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks to both of you! I installed the grid charger this afternoon and it seems to be working fine. I ran into an issue removing the Torx bolts because some of them were stripped, so I wound up removing the Tom Mix bar cover along with the IMA battery cover and everything worked out fine.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does it matter which side of the resistor? I bought the maxx-volts charger and it shows the right side of the resistor for positive connection and this other website you guys are refrencing shows the left side of the resistor for positive connection.

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Does it matter which side of the resistor? I bought the maxx-volts charger and it shows the right side of the resistor for positive connection and this other website you guys are refrencing shows the left side of the resistor for positive connection.
You should contact maxx-volts for support of their products

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Probably, but if you're going to buy something from MaxxVolts you need to know what they recommend for their product. They seem to think differently from the rest of us. For example, I've never seen the right side recommended until you brought it up.

Sam

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine said to mount on the right side or the closest to the back of the car.It seems to work just find.You will notice a difficult time with some discussing Maxx Volts —- I don’t know why,I thought it was a community to help each other and I do understand supporting vendors who support IC, but this is not always possible

·
Registered
3 Posts
I contacted them and they said that it does not matter. They use the right because it is easier install with the battery installed. So now any new people with the same question will see this hopefully. My next question would be: Do you have to reset the car via pulling the negative battery cable everytime you charge using a grid charger? Ive noticed my commute does not allow the battery to get all the way back up to full so I thought about just using my car as a plug in hybrid. Ive only had this car for a week it is a 2000 model and I just installed an 8 amp hour battery from bumblebee and put new potenza tires on it. The car has 140000 original miles and seems like it will be a great commuter. Just a little nervous about doing the wrong thing to the new battery and shortening its life span.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts