Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
794 Posts
I was addressing the simplest issue - does charger work while connected. Sounds like not.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight M/T
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I was thinking I will probably check continuity across each of the harness wires also, to see if that is alright. From what I am seeing on here otherwise, people do have issues with chargers and/or harnesses sometimes.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Did you buy the proper harness or using the original harness. Why don't you use the charger and harness that was on it first. Proper measurements at the bcm connector and documented will give you a base line. Try reading 1449 post for eq.1 pin read out pictures of the taps.
20200515_094333.jpg

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight M/T
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I did not receive the grid charger with the car when I bought it, and the harness was for a different brand and style grid charger. I did pay attention to where it was connected and compared that to the diagram I was given to install the new harness, and they were in the same locations, so I am pretty confident I at least installed it in the right way. I am going to test the harness and the charger and see if that reveals anything soon.

·
Super Moderator
5,020 Posts
Make Sure the connectors are wired the same. I wouldn't trust connectors wired by different manufacturers. Also, diodes in the harness will keep meters and dischargers from working.

Sam

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight M/T
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I got to test it today. Seems like the charger unit itself is faulty. The harness seems fine, had continuity across both IMA wires. Seems like the charger itself is literally not charging at all, so maybe that makes sense then? If it is not charging at all, but still powering the fans, wouldn't it slowly decrease just like I was experiencing?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
^ The fault in the charger could pose a drain that discharges the pack. If measuring the unloaded voltage shows a low/wrong voltage then it's faulty. Send it back.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight M/T
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I am going back and forth with them about it already. They tell me the tested it before shipping and it was fine, yadayadayada.

·
Super Moderator
5,020 Posts
Dumb question, but have you checked the grid charger fuses?

And you're still plugging it into somebody else's harness, right?

Sam

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight M/T
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
No, I removed the harness that was in there and installed the new one supplied with the charger. Does the grid charger have more fuses other than the one inline on the power side of the IMA wire? Are there ones like inside the unit itself?

·
Super Moderator
5,020 Posts
Ok. I do see that you installed the RB harness. The hardest part of these installs is the connection to the resistor. Make sure that you have a viable connection there.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
5,020 Posts
I doubt it on the fuses, but get guidance from RB. Read their instructions again.

Sam

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight M/T
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I completely agree with you, that spot is hard to get at! I could barely get my arm in there. I can't imagine how some people who are bigger than me even could get in there and it is way down there. I have tried to mess with the connection there a few times, and did not seem to change anything. I am going back and forth with RB on it. They told me to try a few things. I will see.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know it should be as simple as turning the charger ON, putting your voltmeter probes on the positive and negative output terminals of the charger and measuring output voltage: If the charger output voltage isn't correct, done, it's faulty. The harness shouldn't come into the picture, not yet, and neither does the pack, not if you measure the wrong voltage at the output of the charger itself.

I feel like this is what was supposed to be done yesterday - and I thought it was, a couple posts up. But we're still going back and forth...

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight M/T
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
No, you are correct eq1, and as you said it was confirmed to be faulty it seems. I am just getting the runaround from them because it seems they don't want to believe that. Hopefully after a few times back and forth they will just agree to exchange it out.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight M/T
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Yeah, I wanted to get their one actually, and the harness that was in the car when I bought it was from one of those units that the previous owner used, but I just didn't have the money at the time unfortunately and didn't want to invest much until I could see if the battery was even worth trying to grid charge and such. If it works out and I get some time after a charge and discharge cycle, I will probably get the hybrid automotive one in the future. I have seen a lot of people right good things about them on here, which was a lot of the reason I wanted that one initially.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't know if someone mentioned this, but you can't drive the car with the high voltage battery charger connected to the pack. This will throw an IMA fault light and the IMA will not work.

C

·
Registered
3 Posts
What charger/dis-charger are you using?
Check for the proper wiring of the harness.
Im in the same boat with this.fella in that i bought a 2000 6 mo. Ago. Currently ive no obvious problems and.although a mechanic as.far as.internal.combustion cars this is my first hybrid and i love it like polly loves a cracker but ive no ima lights on but i also have no idea how fast the pack should charge or discharge when in use. It seems to run down pretty qwik like u go up a big hill and maybe have to floor it a coupla times and.its drained. That said i was wondering if this charge discharge.cycle u guys discuss would help overall. I mean is this a maintenance cycle done periodically? Lastly what kind of charger would u folks recommend? Ive been on an alert here in the bay area with wrecking yards so when one of these comes in incan rush , and i do mean rush cuz otherwise in 24 hrs itll look like a roadkill, over and obtain all the soon too be difficult stuff to find. Right now the best mileage ive ever achievez was 64.5 at 55 mph but its overall count is 54 i think and i usually get 46 probably due.to my foot . ive.yet to get to the yard in time to aquire a spare batt. Or any of those elec parts in the back and.when i got a flat i didnt find that well hidden spare until the next day. Thought it didnt come with one. The cartels would love a fleet of these as they cud use that hidden tire well to smuggle tiny humans. Thanks , and.hope i dont neednanymore advice soon Rich/San Jose

21 - 40 of 43 Posts