Honda Insight Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,488 Posts
Lots of reading her at ICN for all the info you want Rich. Please include your Location in your Profile as ALL G1 owners have done.
Welcome to the Insight Elite family.
Drive like a normal car, and quit trying to use so much assist and you will enjoy the car better IMHO.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
....ive no ima lights on but i also have no idea how fast the pack should charge or discharge when in use. It seems to run down pretty qwik like u go up a big hill and maybe have to floor it a coupla times and.its drained...
It can be pretty difficult to determine if one's getting the right capacity out of the pack. Technically, or theoretically, you should be able to do about 4.8 minutes of full throttle assist, say up a hill. That's based on half the total capacity (6.5Ah) being usable (down to 3.25Ah) and a 40 amp discharge rate the whole time (3.25Ah/40A=0.081h, x 60 min/hr = 4.88 minutes)... There's really few hills that would even allow you to do that, maybe up a mountain pass...

The tell-tale for whether you're NOT getting the full capacity is when the 'BAT' gauge drops fast from some intermediate position, say the middle, to the bottom. But even if you can go from top to bottom without a sudden drop, you may still not being getting full capacity - because the BAT gauge can/does re-scale. The full gauge range may normally represent roughly 3.6Ah, but after the pack degrades it can end up being less, maybe 1.9Ah...

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Im in the same boat with this.fella in that i bought a 2000 6 mo. Ago. Currently ive no obvious problems and.although a mechanic as.far as.internal.combustion cars this is my first hybrid and i love it like polly loves a cracker but ive no ima lights on but i also have no idea how fast the pack should charge or discharge when in use. It seems to run down pretty qwik like u go up a big hill and maybe have to floor it a coupla times and.its drained. That said i was wondering if this charge discharge.cycle u guys discuss would help overall. I mean is this a maintenance cycle done periodically? Lastly what kind of charger would u folks recommend?

--> We need some info about the IMA battery pack to be able to say more precisely what condition your battery is in. Like how old is the battery? How often do you drive the car etc? On an average, how fast do you drive?

Just from what you posted above it sounds like your battery has never been grid charged and is out of balance which causes the weak cells to not have enough capacity to allow you to draw more power out of it. <--

Ive been on an alert here in the bay area with wrecking yards so when one of these comes in incan rush , and i do mean rush cuz otherwise in 24 hrs itll look like a roadkill, over and obtain all the soon too be difficult stuff to find. Right now the best mileage ive ever achievez was 64.5 at 55 mph but its overall count is 54 i think and i usually get 46 probably due.to my foot .

--> Again we need more info. Is your car a CVT or a MT car? What tires are on the car? Are they the correct size?

First off, you need to learn how to drive the Insight to get the high mpgs that you read about on the forum. If you have a MT car and drive it like any other car you can expect 47 mpg to be about what you will get. The CVT gets less mpg because it doesn't have "lean burn". The main advice we can give is ---- slow down!, and no lead footing. <--

ive.yet to get to the yard in time to aquire a spare batt.

--> It's very likely a junk yard IMA battery won't be in much better shape than the one you have. Although you might salvage a few sticks out of it with a lot of testing. <--

Or any of those elec parts in the back and.when i got a flat i didnt find that well hidden spare until the next day. Thought it didnt come with one. The cartels would love a fleet of these as they cud use that hidden tire well to smuggle tiny humans. Thanks , and.hope i dont neednanymore advice soon Rich/San Jose
Don't feel bad. My favorite junk yard has -never- had a G1 Insight. And I've been going to that yard since 1951.

Go to my website and read the V2 grid charger article in the Insight section. It will help you understand what, why and how to (in many cases) rejuvenate your battery to work better. There are also instructions and the schematic etc to build my version of a simple grid charger/discharger which is also used a a battery maintenance tool keep the battery healthy.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts