Honda Insight Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Basic car question. Do you put the grease between the body of car and wire connector?
You want to insulate the bare metal against oxygen. So, if there is any bare metal expose put grease on it. Answer is yes, put grease on it and everything else.
I upgraded my three grounds with 1/0 welding cable. My grounds will out last the car.

·
Super Moderator
5,419 Posts
Well, I don't remember anybody ever having a problem with that 4th ground strap. And there is no power steering fluid. It's electric.

Sam

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,602 Posts
Take a brake, you been texting too much.(Need spell check?)

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Basic car question. Do you put the grease between the body of car and wire connector?
You want to insulate the bare metal against oxygen. So, if there is any bare metal expose put grease on it. Answer is yes, put grease on it and everything else.
Why would one use an electrically insulating material on the two parts between which you want the best conductivity?

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
"The grease does not conduct electricity, so it shouldn't be applied directly to the mating surfaces (pins and sockets) of an electrical connection."
It's the correct grease.

Clean your mating surfaces well, then make your connection, then slather that all over it, and then never think about it again.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Why would one use an electrically insulating material on the two parts between which you want the best conductivity?
The entire point of coating the bare metal parts with grease is to prevent the bare metal to come into contact with oxygen. Why would you leave any surface not coated?

Think about it, air is all around us and air doesn't conduct electricity in normal circumstance. When you put two contact surface together, air is still between the two parts. When you bolt two metal metal together, whatever air in between is gonna get squeezed out. Well, same concept goes for grease and that's how you can have a good connection even though the connectors are fully coated with grease.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
When you put two contact surface together, air is still between the two parts. When you bolt two metal metal together, whatever air in between is gonna get squeezed out. Well, same concept goes for grease and that's how you can have a good connection even though the connectors are fully coated with grease.
Grease coats surfaces much better than air. Bolting them together isn't going "squeeze" the grease out. By that argument you could say, if the cable end has corrosion on it, bolting it to the frame will squeeze out that corrosion.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Grease coats surfaces much better than air. Bolting them together isn't going "squeeze" the grease out.
Funny how my cars start every time even with grease all between the connectors.

You want a real test?

Get 4 connectors, bolt two up with air in between and bolt another two up with grease in between and all over. Then measure the resistance, let me know what you find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Funny how my cars start every time even with grease all between the connectors.

You want a real test?

Get 4 connectors, bolt two up with air in between and bolt another two up with grease in between and all over. Then measure the resistance, let me know what you find.
Presumably the readings would be very similar.
The real test is how the readings would be in a year or so of driving and weather.

(Has anyone tested this? I've done work with and without it and haven't had issues using it but always wondered if it affected conductivity at all.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you change a light bulb in your car, usually you'll find the factory bulb base coated in a dielectric grease. Dielectric grease is always used, it's not for ease of installation. This is it's function to protect the connection from corrosion and voltage leaks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you change a light bulb in your car, usually you'll find the factory bulb base coated in a dielectric grease. Dielectric grease is always used, it's not for ease of installation. This is it's function to protect the connection from corrosion and voltage leaks.
-Good point. The metal surfaces bonding when the parts slot in is more than enough as long as the socket and casts are solid and in good shape. Under most circumstances in the case of an area that's going to see moisture and other chemicals I'd put my money on the grease.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Since these are being bolted on tightly, the grease will be squeezed out wherever the mating parts want to touch, and you'll still get good contact. With grease filling any voids and creases, you won't get water & salt intrusion which will later lead to corrosion. It's a good idea to grease it all.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts