Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Haven't been on in ages, I'll write a longer update in general.

Still driving my trusty 2010 Honda Insight, and about 8 years, 2 months, 1w and 145K km on it, I finally had to change the battery.

I had a quote for $190 (cnd) from the dealer, parts and labour to replace it with another 151R battery. I decided with the age of the car, to replace it with a 51R battery from Costco for $105. The replacement went pretty smooth until the positive terminal cap (you know the red one) snapped off as I try to lift the 151R out.

I currently have it held in place with Tuck tape, wondering if anyone knew a source to get a replacement for it?

I also had to leave the plastic tray out, trying to decide how to get something else in there just so the battery wont' be sitting on the metal. I wasn't going to cut the original one up. Are there any suggestions?

Same notes others have pointed out.. It's really a tight fight and there is also a relay or fuse box between the negative terminal side and the side of car that just won't budge if it could even be shift over 1/2 inch that's where the perfect fit will be.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just posting an update to this 7 days in from the the 51R replacement.

I've noticed my mileage has indeed improved, I've managed to get the car down to a stretch where I've been averaging 5.0L the last year to 4.6L. Even with my wife's driving we've seen an improvement of 6.4L to 5.9L.

The colder weather factor has been removed by ensuring the stretch this is measured has always been consistent in terms of location and check on engine coolant temp (kind of, for sure engine is warmed up).

Will continue to monitor, and have a few more tanks in before I post weather or not the 51R battery really helped but the initial results are promising of at least 0.2L averaged out for a whole trip at this point.

·
Registered
622 Posts
i did the 51r replacement about 4 years ago ... i too noticed a better feel to the car afterwards ... hard to exactly quantify it but systems were more willing as was the car itself ... as for the plastic tray, i removed mine too ... the battery is still sitting on the metal ledge cmfortably - it aint going anywhere ... and yes, it is a tight fit but once its i just forget about it ... the only time its a bother is the one time i had to change the air filter and the air filter box snap is a bitch to get off with the bigger battery in the way ... but eh thats the price to pay with this mod

·
Registered
325 Posts
Having read this post googled replacement battery in Ireland,,,, extremely hard to source,redirected to eBay ,still no joy,not too many insights in Ireland,so presume it's a main dealer job,which means Uber expensive in this part of the world

·
Registered
84 Posts
My motor factors carries the standard battery alright. They charge €75 though, which is double the price of a more "regular" battery.
The 51R has to be ordered, but can be delivered by special ordert. Will take extra time and will cost extra money. Don't know if it makes sense. I consider adding a LiIon buffer battery...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Mick's garage.ie do a cheaper one,but not sure ref specs, contacting them now,my own battery is ok,but never changed it and have the car a few years,so I'm going to buy one just in case

1 - 9 of 9 Posts