Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Group Buy?

***UPDATE***
we need five people to participate in order to buy the rostra units at 123 dollars each.

so far we have these people:

1. Kip (b1shmu63)
2. Jim (Jim Holmgren)
3. Ricky Suiter (Rick)
4. -Otmar- (otmar)
5. counselorkv

**NEW UPDATE**
I no longer own an Insight, the dealer chose to purchase it back from me after I discovered some sever discrepancies with the vehicle and the documentation. You guys have the five people necessary to make the group buy!! Somebody send me a PM and I will give you my contacts info and you can organize this Group Buy. See my other post in General Discussion for a warning and a story about my long gone Insight.
***END UPDATE***

I am getting ready to install cruise control onto my Insight. I know many people who have not already installed the cruise want one, and it seems that everybody who has it is extremely happy with it.

I am big on maintaining a stock look, and in this instance maintaining a stock look is going to come out cheaper than going aftermarket. I am going to use an S2000 cruise switch, adapter plate, harness and assorted hardware to assemble my interior cruise unit. I will then hook that up to the Rostra Cruise control unit that everybody loves.

Have been able to source all of the parts for the interior for 38.58 (includes new plastic, new switches, new screws, new harness, new bracket). I think this price might even drop by a dollar or two more If I was to order it in a group of five or ten.

I have also found the Rostra Cruise unit for 150 dollars.

Since some of you migth not like the idea of cutting into the car’s wiring harness I even sourced the VSS tap that goes in the engine bay – it will cost 40 dollars, also this could go down by a couple of dollars if I order 5 or 10.

The total price for the cruise cotrol without the VSS adapter would be 193.58 plus shipping and B.S. so about 198 dollars **before any discounts because of the group buy** with the adapter the price would start at 228.58.

So, if you would be interested in this speak out. If you guys aren’t interested I will pursue this by my lonesome 

I think to make this worthwhile in pursuing we would need at least 5 people.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Count me in PlaneJob...it's something I've been contemplating for quite a while.
Please let me know the details when you get them worked out - any chance you'll include mounting instructions - or is this pretty self-explanatory? I installed my Wayland system on my own with John's excellent text instructions, so I'm sure I can handle it.

Thanks for organizing this, dude!

Jim

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim, I have never installed one of these kits before, but I have read the 4 write-ups that are on the internet regarding how to do it. Some people have chosen to use the aftermarket buttons inside the cabin, too, but I want it to look factory. (I like cars, and they seem to like me, so this shouldn't be too hard.)

I am going to visit a friend of mine on Saturday that owns a metal shop, and I am going to see how hard it would be to produce a few of the aluminum brackets that others have made.

If the brackets prove difficult or costly to build I will probably mount my cruise to the bottom of the battery box.

Here are the sources I have referenced for the Cruise Install for my own info: http://www.insightcentral.net/owners/mods/cruise2.htm

http://www.insightcentral.net/owners/mods/cruise1.htm

http://www.portev.org/solectria/ho/incruise.htm

http://www.rostra.com

and looking under the hood of the car.

I'll have more info posted as soon as I receive it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Cool...thanks man! Let me know on the brackets...I'd be interested in one of those as well.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I might possibly be interested. Let me know what the final group cost would come out to.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just received some new info - the price of the base cruise control unit just dropped by 25 dollars. We must have 5 people involved.

The switch supplier has indicated that they will not discount their price no matter how many units are purchased - they will just waive the 6 dollar handling fee on 4 of the orders if we order 5 all together.

So, right now the Rostra cruise control unit costs $123 dollars - the switch is at full price. It has been pointed out that we might need a throttle adapter to connect the cruise to our unique throttle body... 2 steps forward, one step back.

It is starting to look like it might be more economical (once you include shipping and TIME) to only do a group buy on the Rostra components (the cruise unit and throttle adpater) - the rest is looking like full price...

I'll post about the brackets as i get more info..

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I already have S2000 cruise control buttons and all the necessary plastic for the steering wheel btw. I would just need the Rostra setup.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rick said:
I already have S2000 cruise control buttons and all the necessary plastic for the steering wheel btw. I would just need the Rostra setup.
Ok, only doing a group buy on the rostra unit is looking like the best thing.

We need five people to get the good price, so far we have these people:

1. Forrest (planejob)
2. Jim (Jim Holmgren)
3. Ricky Suiter (Rick)

So you guys need to drum up your friends! I want to place the order before Turkey Day, and have the whole install completed on my car before I have to drive to Egypt for Christmas!!

I figure I will have everybody send funds to me, and I will order. I will then send the Rostra Units out to everybody. I have not figured out a way to 'insure' everybodys interest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please count me in on this.

Just the stock unit, I'm happy to splice wires so I don't think I need a VSS adaptor.

No Vacuum required eh? Maybe I should buy two and replace the one in my other car...

Does anyone have pictures of the S2000 controls? I'm a bit new to Honda and am wondering if that's what I would want. I suspect that I would like the stock style setup if it's easy to use when driving.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The s 2000 controls are on the Steering wheel. ad sence our little cars have the MOMO s2000 steering wheel we are set. the only bad thing is that our steering wheels arnt leather but I am looking for one

·
Registered
75 Posts
I will gladly join the group buy for this cruise control.... Don't know how to put them in but if this is the one you guys recommend for the insight then I will get someone to put it in....

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Forrest:

I'm interested in the Rostra control unit. The S2000 switch would cost me 65 Dollars CDN locally. I suspect that you are getting a better price on it and the other parts you mentioned, even if you are not getting a quantity discount on them. Thanks.

Kip

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Will adding this cruise control void any part of the cars warranty? I ask because it looks like we have to do a bit of wiring and adaptation.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Resist said:
Will adding this cruise control void any part of the cars warranty? I ask because it looks like we have to do a bit of wiring and adaptation.
Excellent question for your service advisor. I am sure if you screw something up when you are wiring in the cruise they will never cover it, not in a million years. But, a few wires, a few fuses... what's to mess up.

See my first post for an important update.

·
Registered
2 Posts
cruise control

I just saw your post on the group buy for the cruise parts. I would definitely be interested in participating in a group buy based on the numbers I saw on your last post. You can contact me at [email protected].

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm interested

I was going to buy one by christmas anyway.

Just let me know how it is going to work.

LC

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey Guys,
As PlaneJob mentioned in his edited post, unfortunately he's not going to be able to organize this group buy.

I'm willing to head up a group buy on Cruise Control Units...but I just don't have time right now (work and personal life WAY to hectic).

I'll probably be able to do something closer to springtime. If anyone is interested, monitor this thread. I will post to it when I have all the details worked out.

-Jim

·
Registered
91 Posts
Spring would be good because I have my yearly bonus the first week in febuary

·
Registered
41 Posts
can't wait till spring

Can you tell me where the cheapest place is to buy one. $123 sounds like a good price without the group buy thing.

LC

2001 Red

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hmmm...dunno yet.
PlaneJob was going to get me his contact information for the folks he was dealing with. I'll see if I can get in touch with him off- list and get the information for you.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts