Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I got a thought after looking around some other forums. It seems they like to do group drives. They pick a route and day and meet up and go. I was thinking how much fun would that be, not a drive for mileage, but just a fun scenic drive with a bunch of Insight's. So I guess I'm throwing out the Idea of a group drive somewhere here in the Southwest in maybe a few months. I'm not sure exactly from where to where, but maybe just a few hours driving. Something like half of Arizona or something. I know there are a lot of nice highways around you could just drive on. Anybody interested or do we have too few members to arrange anything?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Gathering?

Hi Rick;
Yes, that'd be fun. I'm expecting to be driving my Insight down to San Diego at the very end of February/beginning of March. I could see getting together with a bunch of other folk & their hybrids then. -Maybe a drive up the coast highway? It might be difficult to get a big group, but this could be a start. Anyone else? - Berk

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi Rick,
Hate to be a wet blanket but thought one of the main reasons we all drive Insights was to protect the environment (emission reduction)and reduce the use of gas. Seems to me a pointless tour if fun is your only outcome,on the other hand it could be a positive exercise if used as a promotional tool to advance the cause of Hybrids.
Tour yes, but try to incorporate a practical reason to get the word out to other uneducated drivers of the advantages of Hybrid motoring.
Whatever form this may take you will have to decide but its a fun challenge as well.
dgate.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Rick:

___To counter some of what Dgate mentioned, some of the purpose of our automobiles is to get out and see the sights or just simply enjoy the freedom that our automobiles provide as you know as well … If you are ever in the Chicago area, a nice trip up Lake Shore Drive is about the best trip anyone could imagine at 06:00 AM on a Sunday morning as the sun is coming up over Lake Michigan and the Chicago city scape is on the other side … Then again, Sedona looks exceptionally beautiful around dawn or dusk as well.

___Dgate, I understand where you are coming from but in this regard, American’s have used automobiles for more then just transportation since the mass-production of the Model T reduced the price enough to allow common folk to own one. I am not saying anyone from any other country doesn’t or shouldn’t do the same but having friends and family visit Europe and listening to the conservation comments afterwards (any fuel), we are simply not so energy conscious (to bad we aren’t really) to not use our automobiles for a beautiful drive around ones county, state, or even across the country. Energy is relatively inexpensive here in the states since we don’t tax the hell out of it I guess? If it was $3.00 - $5.00 per gallon, maybe we would change our tune but at $1.50 - $1.75, we don’t.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2w8dnka4][email protected][/email:2w8dnka4]

·
Registered
334 Posts
An organised tour is the ultimate expression of a car club.

Why not incorporate a destination on the tour which is environmental related. A park, a dam, a recycle center... you get the idea. In other car clubs I belong to we always have wine tours, but that's not the image the Insight community should be giving out. Ah, Italian cars and wine. :wink:

It's always very dramatic and striking to see 10 or 15 of the same automobile caravaning on the highway. What better way to advertise your car. Each Insight could have a sign in the window. "Insight Clean Drive Tour" or something like that...

I'd be up to a tour if it were in my vicinity. :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Rick,

I think it is a great idea, I've seen different cars tour through Jerome, AZ probably heading for Sedona.

I am proud to show off my insight.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, looks like we might be able to come up with a small drive at least. I know one, two,,,, maybe maybe three other owners here locally that might go for it. I'm not looking to do it for any real purpose, I just think it would be fun.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,970 Posts
I bought my INSIGHT for it's design, engineering, and MPG. I also bought it to drive and travel. I will gladly travel most any place to have a run with other INSIGHTERS.

On my long trips; Florida run, Oregon run, etc. I post when and where I'll be and have met some devoted INSIGHTERS and enjoyed the experience.

I have organized a "comparason run" and only had to other INSIGHTERS join in. It was nearly a 200 mile event and we had a ball.

I was one of the 11 INSIGHTERS in the SOCAL ROAD RALLY in 2001?

A "days run" is more exciteing than a 2 hour run.

COUNT ME IN RICK, ANY TIME, OR PLACE. :twisted: :p

·
Registered
41 Posts
Count me in!

I wanna go!

I've never been involved in a car club or bike club or anything of the sort, but I would LOVE to go on a tour with my Insight. Sure, part of the reason I chose an Insight is for ecological reasons, but hey, I did choose to buy a car and not a bus pass. Car trips are allowed.

Count me in for the SOUTHWEST INSIGHT TOUR. I'm in Vegas - pick me up on your way from AZ to Brianhead or we could meet at the Grand Canyon and head towards the coast - Big Sur. Let's make it a camping trip!

Any weekend's good for me except March 20 or April 25. Maybe April 17th and link it to Earth Day? (Earth day is usually April 20)

--
Elaine

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Wish I could join you folk but it's a big continent away.

Imagine this, ten or so Insights go on a tour. 10 to 20 thousand people see the group travelling around and think, who are these people, neat cars, where are they going, looks like fun. As a result several of them purchase hybrid cars in the next year. I believe a road trip is a great way to promote the technology. 8)

Kip

·
Registered
536 Posts
group drive

Dear Wayne,
Let me first clarify that "I am American" and have had much experience of the American attitude on touring even though I am at present residing in the UK.Having lived the American dream through the fifties till the present and seen the results of mankinds over indulgence I am always ready to point out what we should be doing to maintain that priviledge of travel, hence my choice of the Insight and comments to Rick.As far as enjoyment of the car I have had better in the past but none so interesting or efficient nor as well supported by a group such as Insight central.So by all means go and tour while the oil is cheap but just remember America is obtaining 63% of it from other countries and your situation could change.We should promote the hybrid concept so other people will join us and keep the nation mobile by using less gas and polluting less while still enjoying doing it.
P.S I will now climb down off the soap box!
Ggate

·
Registered
700 Posts
Sounds fun, but too far...

Maybe sometime we could set up some sort of national "relay". One group travels to meet another group, which picks up the tour at that point. Make a circuit of North America...

That would take some serious organizing.

Hey, Dgate, you had your fun in the "glory days" , right? You probably used 100 times the energy over that time than others who came along later will over their entire lives, just due to modern advancements in efficiency, etc. Don't begrudge a little fun for those of us who might want to enjoy being efficient 99% of the time. Nobody's perfect. :wink:

·
Registered
75 Posts
ecogirl....

A week or more? camping trip? Well some of us may be there part of the time while you guys go across the united states.

And Dgate,

Part of the reason I bought my insight was ecological, BUT... part was because I LOVE TO DRIVE!! and please, please let's not get started on politics.

G

·
0 Posts
Re: group drive

Dgate said:
Having lived the American dream through the fifties till the present and seen the results of mankinds over indulgence I am always ready to point out what we should be doing to maintain that priviledge of travel, hence my choice of the Insight ...
I agree completely. I enjoy driving as well, especially my Insight, but the main reason I bought it was because I was concerned about the ammount of harm driving does to the environment. For most people, driving has far more negative impact on the environment than anything else they do. American Car Culture is way out of hand.

However, this is a pretty clean car, and very easy on that foreign oil, and a hybrid caravan is a good way to promote cleaner cars, and show people that hybrids don't have the limitations many people believe.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Re: group drive

Dgate said:
Let me first clarify that "I am American" ....even though I am at present residing in the UK.
So you can join my UK Insight get together in May or June! I will be paying for lunch :D

If you attend, it could be an international get together, with Windmill coming across from the Netherlands 8) I'll give you more details nearer the time, but grateful for any suggestions.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
April 17th sounds good to me. That should give everyone plenty of time to make arrangments. That sound good to everyone? Ok, so what about a route then? I'm thinking just a day trip probably. Whats a good scenic route? I've never really been off of the main highways through AZ. Where to? Flagstaff or somewhere? I really have no idea. The only interesting highway I know of is the one to Vegas because you go through where all the Joshua trees are which I think could have very well been where they took the picture in the 01 brocheure with the blue side mirror with the Joshua trees zooming by.

If we're gonna do this I just need some suggestions.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,970 Posts
OK I've got my "trip calendar" marked for the 17th of April. There are several back roads in your area. I think it should be a sample of various roads that will get you mileage, and test your "skills".
I enjoy more venturing through small towns rather than staying on the freeways towards the mass of population and traffic. You will also get more questions on the caravan and cars when going through the smaller town.
There are some scenic routes from Yarnell towards Flagstaff or even towards Vegas. I'll break out my "travel map" and see what I can come up with.
Maybe before then I can come over and we can explore the area. This can also be done on the Internet with a little bit of work and research. Any desire on how many miles for the "tour"? I like a run of around 400 miles................... :twisted:

·
Registered
570 Posts
If you have one during August or Sept, I may be in the area and would love to join.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts