Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was time for my second oil change today. So I brought out my Ultra Ramps (the yellow ones they sell at WalMart) and extensions and proceeded to drive up on them.

Then there was a really awful sound and all at once the car fell. I got out, and it and the ramps were under the doors, behind the tires. So I figured I drove over them too far, and decided to try it again.

This time only the passenger side of the car fell. I got out, and this time that ramp was back almost all of the way to the back tire, with the car resting on it. Lucky me, both times no damage.

I'm no scientist or engineer (if it was left up to me, we'd all be living in mud huts and riding horses), but I guess it was the smooth floor in the garage at my new house that caused the problem.

I've used ramps for years...but I don't think I've ever used them in a garage--usually in driveways, which are always textured. And I know I've never tried to put my Insight on ramps in a garage.

I guess at some point while I was driving up the ramps, probably when I cleared the extensions, the tires sucked the ramps underneath as the ramps moved fairly easily on the smooth floor, while the Insight was securely in place via the back tires. And I noticed the second time it was only the passenger side, which is the lighter side (given that my fat butt was in the driver's seat).

Has anyone else ever had this problem?

Maybe I'm just stupid. I remember there being something about using wood in front of the ramps, between them and the wall, to keep the car from pushing the ramps forward when you try to drive up on them. But how do you keep them from being spun back under the car?

Thanks for any response.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have had problems with ramps myself on both the Insight and before that the 1988 CRX HF. Unless they are secured or otherwise kept from sliding, ramps don't work. I use two jacks, but I'd feel safer with ramps.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Delta Flyer...

You don't get under the car with just the jacks supporting it, do you? That would be really dangerous. Buy a couple of jack stands. They are cheap and work well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts