Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I've finally bought a Honda Insight and after only a couple of days I'm impressed with 62.1 MPG average over 6 journeys. I'm following the eco guide & to me that sounds excellent.

My question is about pulling away - is it better (mpg wise).. to give it a decent throttle for a short period then glide or to slowly increase pace (keeping the eco bar out of the hatched area)?

Also is there any benefit of using super {98} fuel over regular {95}?

·
Premium Member
9,858 Posts
Regular is all that is needed.
Driving for economy takes a lot of patience, experimenting, terrain, weather, even what kinds of shoes you are wearing. (Yes that is a fact)
There are numerous threads her at ICN about such topics. Everyone has there own results. Lots of reading needed.
The main thing to fix is the "Nut on the steering wheel".

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
75 Posts
Welcome!

I've had my brand-new (UK) i2 for just three weeks, and I asked the forum exactly the same question - so maybe you'll want to look at my thread on that, and the helpful replies I received from more experienced members.

I think what I'm learning is that a short period of moderate/fairly strong (but not full-throttle) acceleration is better than a very long period of really gentle acceleration.

The reason is that the mpg in these two scenarios isn't as different as you might think, so you may as well get up to your cruising speed quite quickly and then be in 'lean burn' mode sooner.

As Willie Williford says, there's loads more on this forum on the subject, but you'll need to experiment to see what works best for you - and the biggest gain is indeed to be had by attending to the nut on the steering wheel. Even Honda themselves believe that about 30% of the gain from the i2 over an ordinary car is to do with 'driver retraining'. The rest is to do with the technology, in one way or another.

I'm really enjoying learning how to drive these remarkable cars - I hope you do to!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sorry - I missed your question about fuel grade.

95RON fuel is just fine, and 98 is likely to just be a waste of money. Honda actually designed the engine in our i2 to run successfully on low grade 87RON unleaded petrol.

The compression ration is 10.8:1 which is not exceptionally high, and because of electronic 'knock' detection the risk of pre-detonation (pinking/pinging) on 95RON fuel is pretty much zero: even if it happened, the ECU would simply retard the ignition timing until it ceased...

So use the cheaper fuel, and save even more money.

·
Registered
943 Posts
From experimentation, I seem to get the lowest fuel consumption from moderate acceleration. Too slow (especially uphill) and the car is constantly working to keep up. Once you get to the desired speed use very light pedal pressure or even cruise control to maintain speed.

Using too much assist is not usually favourable. Unless you get the chance to coast / brake downhill much your battery charge mostly comes from the engine in the first place.

Wide open throttle is probably not the way to go. It uses more assist than necessary and may involve some over-fuelling (unconfirmed).

I tend to get best results from accelerating with the speedo on turquoise or even slightly into the blue uphill or on the flat. Using gravity to help you accelerate slowly downhill (green) is probably the most efficient in that situation though, rather than putting your foot down.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello - I've finally bought a Honda Insight and after only a couple of days I'm impressed with 62.1 MPG average over 6 journeys.QUOTE]

I think if you are at 62mpg, you already have it nailed down.
I also agree with everyone else, keep seeing what different styles of driving do for your MPG.
I currently get around 50mpg and do what you do, but set cruise at 70mph on my 60+mile highway commute.
Welcome;-)

·
Registered
943 Posts
I think if you are at 62mpg, you already have it nailed down.
I also agree with everyone else, keep seeing what different styles of driving do for your MPG.
I currently get around 50mpg and do what you do, but set cruise at 70mph on my 60+mile highway commute.
Welcome;-)
I'm guessing that from the mention of 95 and 98 RON fuel, in conjunction with mpg, that the OP is british. Hence it's 62 mpgUK, which is pretty close to your 50 mpgUS.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had mine for just 3 days also

I've had mine for just 3 days, but I drove my previous cars as if they were hybrids, so I had a lot of practice. I took a short trip this morning, and got 70 MPG, it was over 71, but I guess I was going too slow into my driveway and it went down. It seems like you need to have the instant/avg mpg screen up, so you can see how far it goes down when you accelerate, then you can practice really slow starts, and avg. starts to see which one does best. I tried to post a link to my image, but doesn't seem to be working.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to you all!

Thank you all for your replies... that helps me very much.

Yep, I'm over in the uk, so we only have 95 or 98 RON fuel. Great to here 95 will be ok - current fuel cost (for those of you on the other side if the pond!) is about £1.39 ($2.20) per litre (or $8.34 per US Gal) for the cheap stuff!

Still learning the car (and love it technology in it). I've just got through my first tank load with an indicated 65.4mpg (54.5 mpg [US Gal]) across the tank.

Very happy with that, but no harm in trying to improve my skills... I initially thought the leaves and eco display was a bit of a gimmick - how wrong was I? I drive much better now than before and I seem to be a lot more relaxed! As a bonus I don't get hit so hard at the pumps!

·
Registered
245 Posts
54 mpg US is pretty good for a tank. I regularly get near 60 on highway only trips, but city traffic with lots of stop and go kills my average. My last tank was 48mpg with average speed of only 26mph for that tank (per the computer). And that was as high as it was because I did very few short trips and most of my trips did not involve really heavy traffic.

I finished my first 50 miles (2 20mile trips and one 10 mile trip on the same day) at 60mpg on the computer. But the next 10 mile trip in the morning the next day brought that down to 55mpg. If I primarily do short trips I am in the very low 40s mpg... All of the above in relativel warm weather (no heat, little A/C) and on flat to small hills terrain.

Anyway, back to topic - I feel that pulling from a stop a bit faster than it takes to stay in the green seems better overall. The key is to do it smoothly and to as quickly as possible (without revving-up the RPM much over 2K) accelerate to spped, then let off the gas and glide/cruise with minimum gas.

Pulse & Glide seems to work well too.

My last tank I decided to not use the Eco mode at all and I don't think I lost any mileage because of that. On the contrary, I feel I gained some... Here's my Fuelly page - I tracked my mileage without Fuelly initially, and it was around 41-44mpg at the pump. I don't think I ever got under 40mpg on a tank but I don't recall ever getting over 46 either (until my last fill-up). My first Fuelly-recorded tank was one of my lowest at just over 40mpg and I have only recorded 2 more since, so my average on Fuelly is under 43mpg. I'm tempted to delete that one first tank from Fuelly, he-he... The way I got that last tank was with very conscious driving with lots of thought about pulse and glide, minimize brake use, watching the instantaneous MPG etc. - not something I bother to do every day, but I was motivated for this tank since that is when we got a Prius too and wanted to beat it ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
What I do is instead of having the bar screen when acellerating, I have the instantaious mpg bar screen on. When there is a car behind me, above 11 miles per hour I accellerate never going below 25mpg. When there's not a car behind me, I go 2 small bars over 25mpg when acelerating.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What I do is instead of having the bar screen when acellerating, I have the instantaious mpg bar screen on. When there is a car behind me, above 11 miles per hour I accellerate never going below 25mpg. When there's not a car behind me, I go 2 small bars over 25mpg when acelerating.
I absolutely agree. My method is very similar:
I drive like this as long as there are 4 lanes suburban traffic which most all my roads are:
0-15mph - low acceleration
15-25mph - Keep mpg MID at 25mpg
25-30mph - Keep mpg MID at 50mpg
30-45mph - Keep mpg MID at 60mpg but I don't usually go above 35 unless there is a lot of traffic.

I keep track of the EV battery, and if I have a lot, I force EV mode on local streets and in parking lots, but keep it minimally used, so your holding speed or loosing speed in EV mode. I don't let autostop work at stop signs, I allow it at stop lights, but actually turn off the car at the first long stop light when cold.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I absolutely agree. My method is very similar:
I drive like this as long as there are 4 lanes suburban traffic which most all my roads are:
0-15mph - low acceleration
15-25mph - Keep mpg MID at 25mpg
25-30mph - Keep mpg MID at 50mpg
30-45mph - Keep mpg MID at 60mpg but I don't usually go above 35 unless there is a lot of traffic.

I keep track of the EV battery, and if I have a lot, I force EV mode on local streets and in parking lots, but keep it minimally used, so your holding speed or loosing speed in EV mode. I don't let autostop work at stop signs, I allow it at stop lights, but actually turn off the car at the first long stop light when cold.
I do all the above, except at stop signs I like to keep the wheels rolling. When cold light is on I'll sometimes use "S" to warm up the engine faster. I drive faster though, usually in the 35 - 50 mph in this rural - suburban area, and I have to contend with lots of hills and frequently wet roads. My overall fuelly avg. is 50.0 for 32k miles, and we're just now moving into the high mpg warmer season.

I find it all great fun. Often it seems like I'm piloting rather than driving, there is so much to do, to get the best possible mpg.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts