Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Extremely severe storms last night. Thankfully no damage to family but our cars look bad. We threw rugs, towels, sheets and the one "Budge" car cover on in the wake of the storm, but these either flew away or were too thin to offer protection.

Our Insights are covered with hundreds of small dents. :cry: :cry: Many of the hailstones were 1 1/2" across and there was a wall of airborne stuff hitting the cars. David took "Silver" to the dealership this morning and was told the body shop is closed on weekends and it would be "first come first served" on Monday...that ought to be an exciting Monday! :x

Has anyone been thru this? How is hail damage usually repaired? Is each pit pulled out or are they filled in? In "Silver"'s case I'm wondering if it might not be easiest to just replace the hood and top? I'm a little reluctant to replace body parts on "Papaya", attached as I am to the original citrus color.

Well, at least gas milage is good...63MPG with stop-starting all over town...seems to me there was an IC post on aerodynamics that mentioned surface "dimpling" helping to reduce air drag. Maybe so...but there's no pride in motoring a golf ball.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
The paintless dent repair guys can work wonders. Seen some I'd sworn couldn't be massaged out. Yup :!: That's how its done. Access the dimple from the inside and start rubbing. Of course it takes some special tools and a LOT of practice. Not sure how much the aluminum body skin will effect their abilities.

Anyways worth checking out.

And I'd be interested in what you find out.

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Oh Man! that hurts to hear. :cry: :cry:

Glad you are OK.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a pic taken last week which I thought might convey how badly the recent hail (2 separate storms 2 weeks apart) beat up poor Papaya and Silver, but instead the cars perfectly fine!
http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/2 ... il-med.jpg

The reflections from the maple trees mask almost all the dents.

Papaya is in line next week for paintless dent repair at Norm's along w/ replacement of a R FRT DOOR REAR GARNISH 72430-S3Y-003. What's a rear garnish? :) The report also calls for "Restore Corrosion Protection". Does this sound necessary?

Mostly I hope that when work starts, the techs handle aluminum bodywork competently, avoid tossing heavy tools onto the BCM and don't drive the car more than required...last 375 miles have averaged 70.1 mpg in-town and I don't want no hypomilers spoiling it. Is there anything else to be aware of before Papaya gets fixed?

It looks like Silver will need a complete hood replacement, but we are working on one car at a time.

Will keep the group updated although, thankfully, it does not sound like hail damage is much of a problem elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Hypomiler! :lol: Another word for the hybrid dictionary, thanks. :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
sputnik said:
The report also calls for "Restore Corrosion Protection". Does this sound necessary?
the service manual does call for anti rust agents on basically all the edges of all the panels. although i am confused by this seeing as how it's an aluminum car... perhaps it's more about salt corrosion than oxidation(rust)

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I had a paintless dent guy fix two dents on a Maxima that was dinged in a parking lot. First of all - the paint wasn't damaged and he was able to make it look very good in some difficult spots. The funny thing to me was the "special tools". To push out the dent, he basically had a metal rod (aluminum?) in sort of an L shape. He just pushed a little bit at a time from the back side. To check his work, he attached a straight edge (basically a rectangle of fiberglass) to the car with a suction cup. Then, he watched the reflection of the straight edge in the dented area to check himself as he pushed.

Bottom line - if they can access the dent and find something to push against, they can work wonders.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,

The hood if it has 100's of dents like you said, might just be better off being replaced. Sometimes salvage yards have these for less than new. I've seen new ones for a few hundred dollars ($300-$400). The roof is more of a problem, as it is not as easy to replace.

If it happens again, I'd make a car cover, and glue thick 1/2" neoprene to the top and hood underneath the car cover. That will protect it. Any rubber supply company should have this material. Even cheap foam might work.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The work plan for Silver is indeed to replace to hood due to the 100s of dents. We are focusing on one car at a time. Papaya came back from Norm's Body Shop two days ago.

She was there for a little over one week. I gave the shop manager a note listing highlights (ie. aluminum body skin) that we discussed before I left. There are so many cars here with hail damage that the body shop had set up large temporary work tents. Soon after the work stated, another huge storm hit and one of the tents collapsed on top of Papaya. Body shop told me "your car is OK"..." there are some new dents on the doors"..." the insurance adjuster is here and everything will be taken care of"

I have some questions:
1. The paintless dent removal is phenomenal. Overall they did a remarkable and beautiful job. I can see a few faint swirly marks where I remember particular hailstone hits. Will something like Maguires Scatch-X work here? Also, are there maintanence considerations...does the dent removal work fatique the metal?

2. Papaya returned to the shop today because there are many scratches, some deep, all of them new, on both driver and passenger windows. The scratches are at the exterior face of the glass and located along the arc of the upper window edges. Norm's tried polishing, but were unsuccessful. They said there is nothing in their dent removal process (a rubber dam and some kind of bubble airbag) that would do this (no mention of flying tent poles) but they will discuss replacement of the windows and the tint with the shop owner and call me next week.
Any suggestions on how to proceed? I've never encountered anything like this.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I work with a bunch of guys who know more about cars, racing and motorcycles than I ever will. The concensus this morning was that these window scratches are the result of an attempt to break into my car.

It takes a lot of effort to cut into tempered glass and locations and pattern of scratching all make perfect sense if someone was trying to work the windows open.

I asked twice that the car be locked up in the body shop nights/weekends but I'm not sure that happened. The shop was supposed to have the dent repair done in 4 days and it took 8. Something is very wrong here and I'm starting to get mad. :evil:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick update as I realize hailstone repair is not a "hot" topic, although dealings w/ body shop repairs might perhaps be generally useful.

I was instructed to return to the shop so the shop manager could check out the window damage and "make a decision". I returned during my noon work break today, calm, somber and softly humming the Darth Vader theme as I paced the waiting area for the manager, because this summed up my mood. These windows were damaged at the body shop and it's not a complication I ever wanted.

The manager checked Papaya. He said he didn't think the damage was the result of any attempted break into the car. He did not know how the windows were scratched. :?: He told me that two new windows would be ordered and that the shop would write a check to cover the re-tint where ever I had that done. Keeping my fingers crossed and visor down.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Two new Insight windows arrived last week, real Honda glass, each with labels reading "Made in Japan This sticker to be removed by car owner only".

On the 4th, Papaya traveled to Sheffield (approx 60 miles each way, 75 MPG with AC way on) for Formula One Premier 35 window tinting. On the 5th we were back in Huntsville and the body shop reimbursed the $92 for the tint installation.

So it looks like the repair is finally complete. Papaya is gorgeous beyond human comprehension! I will probably never learn how the windows were damaged at the shop and my curiosity lingers. Now to try to keep the garage clear enough to house a car...

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Thanks for the update Kathleen.

Although any "attempt" to break in is never sophisticated enough to "try" and cut the glass. Tempered glass generally can't be "cut" it simply shatters. And its the preferred "technique" (smash, hack, rip and run, gone in 60 seconds).

Glad to hear the business was so customer friendly. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts