Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you Insightful drivers tried the Hakkapeliitta RSI winter tires?
The tire is a low rolling resistance model so it may be perfect for the Insight.
I am planning to purchase winter tires for my 06 MT and I would appreciate any feedback about this tire.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I mounted a set of RSI’s for the winter season and so far have been very pleased with them. Before the snow fell I ran a few coast down tests to compare them with the RE92's and came to the conclusion that their rolling resistance is the same.

They appear to be superior in all conditions except glare ice, in which case studded tires would be better. I personally don’t like studded tires because of the noise and reduced traction on dry roads.

So far my winter mileage is about 14% better than previous winters and my only change is the RSI’s. I’m getting mileage in the high 50's instead of the high 40's. Temperature’s run 10̊F to 20̊F most of the winter. This winter we’ve been getting a lot of snow. Had to clear my driveway three times yesterday as it kept coming down.

One negative, strange as this may sound, is these tires pull through anything. I had turned down a side street that had not been plowed and as I straddled a windrow of heavy snow it caught the plastic aero panel underneath the passenger side of the car and partially ripped it off. (Another thread told of someone doing the same thing blasting through a deep puddle of water.) Only other complaint is the RSI’s get tossed around by rut’s in the road. Some of our roads that need refurbishing have some fairly deep ruts and the Insight’s track is narrower than them.

I can out accelerate almost anything from a stop. I’ve heard big trucks start to spin their tires as I pull away from them. Even with their studs, trying to get all that mass moving on snow is tough. Braking and cornering are also greatly improved in the white stuff.

I don’t drive it in all inclement weather up here. With this big dump of snow I drive my pickup until the roads have been cleared. Also when it gets below 0̊F the Insight will barely get up to operating temperature, even with the radiator blocked off. I think if you drove around in -20̊F temperatures you could probably totally bypass the radiator, the heater core would supply enough engine cooling keeping the cabin warm.

James Baker
Anchorage Alaska

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a set of Hakka 2’s with studs on my Insight. I mounted them the first week of December (after the first snow storm) and have been driving around in 40 and 50 degree temperatures ever since.

I have used studded tires for the last 12 years on a CRX-HX and a Civic HF. This is the first winter for the Insight. For this area the road conditions are usually clear with patches of ice. Also we have more half melted snow (about the consistency of a slushy) than snow and the temps usually hover around 30 F. These are ideal conditions for studs. The Nokian tires are very good at pumping the slushy and highly recommended over Blizzaks in this regard.

Yes the studs are noisy but the traction on glare ice is amazing. The biggest problem I have is trying to remember that other drivers do not have the same traction. I have come up behind other cars with a higher closing speed than desired, when others are doing 20mph I can often do the speed limit. Also I have stopped and had the car following me pass me in the ditch and slide threw the intersection on more than one occation. My mileage is off about 4 mpg, I usually get ~60 on my commute to work but I have been in the 56 range this week.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the Insightful experience with the Hakka's.
If these tires work in Alaska, I think they will be fine for Central PA.
We have had no snow so far this year. We actually set a new record last year for snow. We had the least amount of snow on record in 2006; a mere 8 inches.
My cross country skis are feeling blue ;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I just picked up a set of 4 (used, 3Kmiles) Nokian RSI's from Insight Central's buy/sell section. The person selling them had just bought them new about a month ago and totaled his Insight before he ever had a chance to try them in snow/ice. He just happened to live about 20 miles away from me so it worked out great. He put the stock RE92's back on the Insight before the insurance company took posession of his car. They have about 99% of the tread left. They are a little pricey, about $110 each, although I got his "used" ones for $250 for all 4. I need to find a set of used civic rims now and have them mounted. The way this winter has been going here in CT, I may not need to put them on the car. It was 72 degrees here on Saturday! The Nokian website lists the RSI's as a LRR tire also. I'll report back if we ever get any snow

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just ordered a set of the Hakkapeliita RSI's to be shipped right to my house.
The local tire guys said they couldn't order them so I went online. Better price and free shipping in USA :) :)
I will report on the performance of this low rolling resistance winter tire soon.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
When the roads are very slippery drop the tire pressures down to 32 psi for better grip in snow and ice.
When the roads are dry use 44 psi for better milleage.
It's important to carry simple tire pressure gauge and a cheap air pump that plugs into the 12V outlet. Most spare tires are low on air so carrying a pump is more convenient then checking the air pressing of the spare tire often.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I received my new Hakkapelitta RSI winter tires. They are beaut's.
Even the Fed X lady commented on what great looking tires they are.
I am having them installed tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the Hakkapelitta RSI winter tires mounted on my 06 Insight.
These tires are fantastic in the snow.
My mileage per gallon has not decreased from my normal gas use.
There is a bit more tire noise as compared to the stock Potenza's and the ride is slightly rougher.
Overall I highly recommend the Hakkapelitta RSI winter tires. 8)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Did you have them mounted on the OEM Insight rims? I mounted mine on steel civice rims, much heavier.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I have them mounted on the original aluminium rims.
I plan to buy some other rims for next winter to make the change overs easier.
Any suggestions on rims? Used would be fine.
The tires are 165/65R14.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I know that most any civic 4 bolt rim will fit an Insight although they are somewhat heavy. Others have found used Honda HX rims which I believe are around 11 lbs each. I just wanted to spare the OEM Insight rims from all the salt/sand during winter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts