Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Has anyone installed a ham Radio or 2 way radio to a Insight?
I am a Ham radio operator and would like to install a 2 meter rig, and or HF rig, and antenna. It seems to be quite a challange because:
1)Mag mount antennas will not work on the alumn. body
2)Not much room for radios, maybe over cup holders.
3)Afraid stray RF energy from the radio will get into the elect. and computer and effect driveability.
I Would apperciate any comments or suggestions.
Thanks,
Rick Ham Call ND4Z :lol:

·
Registered
182 Posts
My $0.02:

1) How about taking out the rear wiper and using that hole to mount the antenna? You might also be able to put a steel plate behind the glass or Al roof, but I'm not sure how close the magnet has to be for it to stick well.

2) The dash is very deep--likely there is a spot on top of the dash that wouldn't interfere with your view.

3) I think that the presence of substantial power electronics means that everything else has to be designed to work in the presence of the RFI generated by the power electronics, and so it's probably at least as well shielded as in a conventional car.

Charlie

·
Registered
466 Posts
i am thinking of getting one of the hf/vhf/uhf rigs with a removable faceplate. stash the rig under the passengers seat and mount the faceplate to the bottom of the center dash under the am/fm radio.

73 de W4MBG

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
nd4z said:
3)Afraid stray RF energy from the radio will get into the elect. and computer and effect driveability.
Sounds weird, but could be an issue. I've seen a hybrid Civic where a GPS was added. Everytime the GPS was used, the CEL light illuminated with random O2 sensor related codes. But this was likely a result of a fault in the car (grounds...).

·
Registered
466 Posts
stray rf is always a possibility. after i converted my grand wagoneer to fuel injection it wouldnt idle smoothly when i transmitted on 2 meters on high power. i just live with the problem. a slight touch of throttle to about 1000 rpm and all is well.

that being said, i would not bolt the transmitter down until those types of issues are eliminated. ty-wraps are your friend! ;)

andy g.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use a glass mount 2M/70CM antenna on the rear window and an HT inside. Sometimes I use an amplifier with that setup for long trips. The 12V outlet in the dash doesn't put out enough for the HT and the amplifier, so I carry a small SLA battery for the amplifier. No problems with that setup yet.
There are other posts here about adding a trailer hitch. When I go for an HF antenna, I'll use those same mount points for a bracket and come out under the rear bumper with it to mount a screwdriver antenna.

·
Registered
222 Posts
That bumper bracket/trailer hitch idea sounds good to me. I was considering the same for my beetle once I finish building my KX1

-Paul KB8NMZ

·
Registered
466 Posts
i was thinking about modifying a dual-band antenna to use the oem am/fm antenna mount. or maybe an adapter? i never listen to the car radio (lots of mp3s though), so i could use a switch or diplexer. i like the idea of a hitch-type hf antenna also.

andy g.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for repley

Thanks everyone for the comments on Ham Radio operation from the Insight. I tried a few things so far. I made a radio platform that sits into the 2 cup holders. I took some empty plastic bottles and mounted a thin piece of plywood to the urside down bottle bottoms with some screws and nutsb to attach. The mounted plywood on the bottles are spaced to fit perfect into the 2 cup holders. On the plywood I mounted my Yeasue FT 817 all band all mode VHF/UHF/HF/6 meter QRP rig. The only thing I can get to work so far for the antenna, is a 2/440 dual band antenna. It is a tru the glass mount mounted toward the roof line on the back window.
The power comes straight from the starting battery, with the 12 volt plus and neg wires coming from thr engine compartment into the cock pit, trub the firewall above the gas peddle. So far it is working fine with 5 watts on both VHF and UHF, making many contacts. No RF is causing any poeblems with the cars electronics as of yet. My next step is to try and mount a HF antenna such as the Hamstick on the rear hatch. I will be using a Comet Hatch Back mount with vert and horiz adjustment, with a quick disconnect for the hamstick. I will keep everyone advised on my project.
Rick ND4Z :roll:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Update?

My next step is to try and mount a HF antenna such as the Hamstick on the rear hatch. I will be using a Comet Hatch Back mount with vert and horiz adjustment, with a quick disconnect for the hamstick. I will keep everyone advised on my project.
Rick ND4Z :roll:
It's been a while since anyone is posted in this thread and I'm interested in your results, Rick. Were you able to use the hatchback mount on the first generation Insight? I just purchased the FT 8900 and I'm interested in any problems or successes you had in mounting and/or using this radio in your Insight.

Thanks,

Blake
KD0SQX

1 - 10 of 10 Posts