Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all my concerns about driving in rain, we found ourselves in the middle of an extreme downpour/flooding type of rain. We really didn't realize how bad it was until we heard about it on the news the next day. There were several sections of standing water on the expressway and several cars pulled over. I was not driving and STRONGLY encouraged my husband to pull the Insight over, but for some reason he kept going at a moderate/slow pace. Anyway, it plowed right through and I realized that lightness does not necessarily mean that we're going to float like a boat. Personally, I would have pulled over in any car, but I was relieved that the Insight handled as well as it did in the situation. We arrived home safely though I wouldn't recommend anyone to drive in extreme conditions. However, it passed the test.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think the quality of the tires plays the most critical role on wet roads. A good tire design will help prevent hydroplaning. Worn tires are espessially dangerous.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It's all about the tires.
OEM tires with lots of tread should be decent in the rain.
The Insight is lightweight but it's narrow tires compensate for that.
But ultra high performance summer tires with large chevron tread grooves are far superior at gripping dry and wet roads and preventing hydroplaning compared to the OEM tires.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I'd like to hear more discussion about how wide tires are better on the wet? Everything I've ever heard says that narrow tires at high pressures resist hydroplaning the best...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Dougie,
When comparing 2 tires with the same tread pattern, the narrower tire will resist aquaplaning better.
But comparing the following 2 type of tires:
1) Symetrical tread patterned all season tire (example: Bridgestone RE92 the OEM Insight tire)
2) High performance summer only tire with directional V-shaped main grooves (example: Toyo T1R, Eagle F1)
http://www.toyocanada.com/products/ProxesT1R.asp

The summer rain tire is so much better at resisting aquaplaning that even if it's a little wider it's still better then an OEM all season tire.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Dougie, I didn't see where anyone said that wider tires are better in a potential hydroplane situation. You might have misread a post (or I have!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts