Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I bought my 2000 Insight 3-1/2 months ago, I get a hard thump sound coming from the left wheel area when I accelerate hard from stand still or almost stand still. I have a 5 speed with 20K miles.
It's not the sound of the tires jumping that it might make when burning rubber. I already had to change the front shock absorbers because that same left side was not working.
About 1-1/2 ago, I had my mechanics look for the problem but they were not able to point it out. I did not continue to worry about the problem, but began to hear it again (hard accelerations) and began to worry again.
Thanks in advace. :?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
First thing to check are engine mounts. Pry on them with a large screwdriver/pry bar. They should not move more then a little. Any large amount of play means the mount is broken.

After that, you need to check CV joints, bearings and bushings.

Diagnosing noises is traditionally very annoying. Often you need to lift the car, get underneath and then pull/push on all the suspension members to narrow it down.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Good reply Aaron :!:

Remember big thumps are usually the result of big parts shifting.
And there are usually big consequences should one of these parts come completely loose :shock: :!:

Don't wait any longer to find out the cause :!:

HTH! :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
motor mounts

When I had my engine switched out, I did have a broken motor mount, so it is not completely unthinkable

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally got rid of the hard thump sound. Two motor mounts were broken, the bottom one (tranny) and one of the above motor mounts (the easy one to change) were replaced. The other one was in good condition. :D
Case closed.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Thanks for letting us know what the end game was. Always helps!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Aaron Cake said:
First thing to check are engine mounts. Pry on them with a large screwdriver/pry bar. They should not move more then a little. Any large amount of play means the mount is broken.

After that, you need to check CV joints, bearings and bushings.

Diagnosing noises is traditionally very annoying. Often you need to lift the car, get underneath and then pull/push on all the suspension members to narrow it down.
Sears Automotive will do all that for free.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Got my rear (lower) engine mount replaced too

Just another data point. I just had my rear engine mount replaced too. At 160k miles on my 2001.
Found bad during normal service.

I was wondering if the extra stress from restarting from autostop caused this. Mostly the restart is very smooth but occasionally it jerks a bit.

Jim
'01 #191

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,900 Posts
motor mounts

There are 3 motor mounts. Please be specific as to which one.

Front/top...passenger side of vehicle.
Rear/bottom....driver side on top of transmission.
Side.....from transmission to frame.

I assume you mean the "Side" one. That is the one that gets the most "load" and "torque" from the transversally mounted engine.

It can be confusing.
Willie

·
Registered
101 Posts
Three motor mounts

You're right, there are three. The dealer told me it was the "rear" one. I took that to mean the one not on either side of the engine compartment. As in not on the ends of the engine/transmission assembly.

Majestic Honda's parts site has this as number 2 on their diagram. See here:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/aut ... INE+MOUNTS

(I hope that link is clickable, otherwise I'm sure you can navigate there)

Your terminalogy is a bit different, but I think we are talking about the same thing.

Regards, Jim
'01 #191

1 - 10 of 10 Posts