Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the midwest. engine takes 3/4 of hour to heat up to operating temp. and while sitting at a stoplite engine will lose temp down to two bars. I have ordered the block heater. will also try cardboard over radiator. I still love my insight :D

·
Registered
489 Posts
Just a stab in the dark, but are you trying to use the climate control? The climate control is easily capable of transferring heat to the passenger compartment faster than it can be generated by the engine, so use of the heater should be thought of not only as a heater, but also as a cooling system for the engine. (this holds true for almost all cars)

Hence, it shouldn't be surprising that it takes a long time to warm up the engine when you are running the cooling system.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yea, try to keep the temp knob in the low 60's as the engine will transfer all it's heat into the cabin. How long is your commute and what type of driving do you do? Keep the Insight moving and it'll warm up much better than stop and go, though, I have had the it loose temp while cruising at too low an rpm just after startup. Keep the revs up (over 2k rpm) to aid in heating. Remember revving a cold engine too high is probably the worst thing you could do to it so keep it below 3k rpm also. If all else fails, try the cardboard trick but remember to take it out once the cold weather subsides.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I suppose you are writing about +40 F

It is now -7.6 F here as I write. I could say the same as you at that temp. Actually, I already did in an other thread.

At +40, I could not. Could you have a stuck open thermostat.

I pretty much use the Auto setting as at low temps the AC is not really used. And the blower speed is automatic, it does not start until the engine is a little hot (or less cold)
Maybe if you are using the Manual Full Speed setting, it could be different.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I drove in this morning while it was 0 degrees F here in CT. I had full heat and 6 bars on temp guage in about 10 minutes and 3-4 miles. This is about normal for my Insight. I also had the auto climate set to 70 and still had no problem maintaining 6 bars on the guage once it warmed up. I would also suspect the thermostat might be sticking open.

·
Registered
157 Posts
In 0 - 5 F temps, I get two 4 bars in about 4 minutes of 45mph driving. It may take 20 minutes to get to 6 bars with my commute through some stoplights. I've checked the coolent temp with my ODBC reader and it steadily goes up during that time - just takes a little longer.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
In my experience it is not so much the degree amount the temperature is set, as much as it is the fan speed.

I did some experiments with a new ODBC scan gauge I've been trying out. First I want to note that I do have my radiator blocked. This helps tremendously in cold weather. I am not using the auto climate.

The gauge I am using shows the water tempeature in 1 degree increments. In my unscientific experiment the outside temps were between -5 degrees and 28 degrees F.

I got the water temperature in the car up into the 190's and then tried various degree levels for the temperature as well as fan speeds.

I can easily set the temperature at 80 degrees or higher, and as long as I keep the fan on 2 bars or so, the engine is able to keep up with the heat demand, and the water temperature does not go down.

But whenever the fan was on high and I had the temperature set in the 80's I could literally watch the engine water temp drop steadily. As soon as I decreased the fan speed, the engine water temperature started to climb back up.

As an aside, here are my findings for my Insight's temperature gauge:
2 bars = 0 through 138 degrees
4 bars = 138 through 165 degrees
6 bars = 165 through ??? (I've never had it higher than 6 bars while I've had a scan gauge.)

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Thanks very very much for the test and results. I now see it in writing.

I have been wondering for a long time what the bars where in temp numbers

My thermostat could be opening a little early. But I have touched my radiator while the bars go down and it was cold. Although I am sure it does not take much circulation into the radiator to bring the temp down at 0 F

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Double thank you for posting some hard numbers.

It is very interesting to note the fan setting is the primary determinant.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thermastate problem

I do not know about the Insight ,but this problem sounds like a simple bad thermostate problem. If thermostate is stuck open it would cause this problem.

How dificult is it to replace thermostate in the Insight ? In most cars this is a simple and inexpensive repair. Are thermostates available in diferent temp. ratings ? If so you could use a higher temp. in winter.

You can test most thermostats to see is they open by putting them in a pot of water and heating on a stove. It should open before water boils.

Does the Insight use the same thermostate as the Honda Civic ? If so you should be able to pick one up at most Auto Parts stores.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts