Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I read all the posts correctly, Florida qualifies for a new BCM/MCM without an IMA light. Has anyone decided not to update this equipment? I have heard that MPG and performance (debatedly) goes down with the new parts, especially when added to an older pre-existing battery.

I still have the original battery in my 2000, and I am tempted not to get the updates done until the battery also has to be replaced. With a 6 year old battery and a car with 55k miles on it, I do not see why I should get updates to prolong the original battery life (since it's still under warranty) and take a MPG and possible performance hit. This battery will likely not last 10 years 150,000 miles and therefore not have to be replaced out of warranty.

And if my original battery has lasted 6 years and still going strong (but weaking little by little), are these even worth doing with a new battery??? (If it is an option not to.) "Free" may not always mean "better."

Does "If it is not broken, don't fix it" possibly fit in this situation??

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Well I haven't updated mine yet. But only because I haven't had the time yet and I'm not a fan of letting dealership service goons touch my cars. My experience with them is they screw up other things in the process.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
florida_gators said:
Does "If it is not broken, don't fix it" possibly fit in this situation??
The "original" warranty extension for the previously only included states is still in force. Read; the first seven states announced _before_ this latest and slightly different warranty extension. So read the fine print carefully. You _may_ risk revocation of this extension should you refuse timely repairs.

From the known facts of BCM programming and long(er) IMA battery service life what appears to fit this situation better is, "If its gonna break it, then don't wait to fix it".

See:

US IMA warranty extension [edit] UPDATED to all 50 states!
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=4796

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Not replaced yet...

I've been away for a while.

I have NOT done the BCM update on any Insight.

I have a couple questions:

1. Modded Insight wrt Dealer

For the huge number of turbo Insighters our there, how has your dealer dealt with that when you bring your heavily modded Insight in for such an update (which I understand MUST be done by a Honda dealer)?

2. Does the BCM update hit mpg?

I am trying to catch up on posts. It looks like people are reporting reduced MPG. Have I not found the full thread yet?

3. Does every Insight need it?

If your SOC is always up and down and rarely sitting at full anyway, then it seems like you don't even need the update at all. Every time I come home, I drain the battery going up the 800 ft altitude change. When I drive around, I am usually not at full SOC. Hence, why do I worry?

Thoughts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts