Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone figured out how to manipulate the IMA threshold? Or what effects it??? I've noticed that my FCD drops lower in 5th gear under acceleration than it used to. I do 80mph on the interstate (keeping up with traffic) and only get 43-55mpg which is really bad. If I let up a bit for lean burn, I just slow down.

Dan
Tampa, FL

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Dan:

___Since I am sure you are not using IMA out on the highway (you had better not be?), are you sure you aren’t having a problem with the MAF? sensor or similar instead? There was a thread a few months ago where someone was having fuel economy problems with the inability to achieve leanburn. Arizona Rick drove that same car and stated as such. Anyway, I believe it was a MAF or lean O2 sensor replacement and all was cured. Hopefully Rick respond to provide the details or you can find the thread in question yourself.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:188j2i8i][email protected][/email:188j2i8i]

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
There is no lean burn available at 80MPH. And very little @ 70MPH unless your slowing, coasting downhill or have a heavy tailwind.

AFAI remember you chose to replace your IMA pack with a used unit. So what its remaining service life is remains to be seen.

Remember the IMA system simply gives extra "scoot" for hard acceleration. The amount of "MPG" energy in the IMA pack is very limited. It has been estimated by others in here that *IF* the Insight could operate 100% electric the IMA pack would be empty in less than a mile.

Any "modifications" to the IMA Assist would simply cause more frequent forced charging (unless your driving pattern is unusual) and overall MPG would be even lower due to the losses of efficiency in conversion of gasoline to mechanical force to electricity back to mechanical force.

I don't try to keep up with traffic anymore. I simply let them race by and wave as I pass them at the pumps. <VBG>

HTH! :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Supposedly the O2 sensors have been replaced, but many miles ago. I've never heard of the MAF. Are those 2 items expensive? I think the O2 sensor may be. It does use the IMA to keep pace, but not constantly. I certainly don't get the "purge" sensation it used to do 2 years ago. If you have any idea what these cost, I can budget for them. Also, are they user replaceable? I thought of having the plugs checked (they are not normal plugs) but the dealer said that if I have them checked, I may as well replace them. Also expensive, I think.

Dan

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yes I recall that issue Rich was having.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... ight=#9087

It turned out to be his manifold pressure sensor. We haven't heard from him since so I'm guessing all is well. Unfortunately there are a lot of other possible variables.

BTW, I've speculated in the past that since IMA depends on manifold pressure (the pressure drops it gives assist) that you could in theory actaully cause a vaccum leak and possibly get it to give more assist earlier. This is merely a specultion, and would probably cause a CEL if done though.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it easy to replace. Can I get to it without too much trouble? and can it be cleaned in lew of replacing?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts