The service manual is 159 pages long
there are a number of special tools needed
Please call me
Bo
1-908-892-1833

·
Premium Member
9,925 Posts
Numerous threads, search is your friend.
Here is one with pics:

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am at 112,500 on my 2000, all from pretty much local driving. My first through third gears are very noisy but it still shifts and does run fine. Unfortunately, repairing it myself is beyond my skill set. I had debated getting a used tranny off of eBay, having it rebuilt and then having it swapped in by a shop. But I am just biding my time for now with it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
my 01 has grinding in downshift 1st and 2nd. my 06 is wonderful. did they improve the trans in later year gen1s?

·
Premium Member
9,925 Posts
What is the difference in mileage? 01 vs 06.

·
Registered
468 Posts
You do not really need any special tools, although as in most things having the right tools is a joy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just finished mine very recently

I did enjoy doing it because it's a learning process that is being very rewarded in the end but in retrospective if I could just paid for a swap I would just do that.
$1000 with installation would be a good investment that saves you lots of headaches.
Screenshot_2018-11-06-13-09-12.png

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just finished mine very recently

I did enjoy doing it because it's a learning process that is being very rewarded in the end but in retrospective if I could just paid for a swap I would just do that.
$1000 with installation would be a good investment that saves you lots of headaches.
View attachment 83647 View attachment 83647
I need to rebuild my 5sp
The service manual is 159 pages long
there are a number of special tools needed
Please call me
Bo
1-908-892-1833
Last year my 2000 Insight started making a growling sound, even at idle (and would go away if clutch pushed in). I considered a used tranny via ebay (around $500.)...but decided to go with a used transmission search Company giving a Guarantee (for about $1,000.) They shipped me one...I had my local Honda mechanic install it ($400.) only to discover that it was faulty. So I had to have it pulled out of my Insight, and I had to pay freight to have it shipped back to the mid-west Company (But that Company would not send me the guarantee replacement until I sent them back the faulty one. They sent me the second tranny...I had to pay another $400. to my mechanic to have it installed...only to find that that tranny was worse than the first (grinding to get it in a gear or two. So, I had to have my mechanic pull that one so I could send it back for a third unit (again having to pay return freight of about $100.). However, my mechanic took my original transmission apart...found the faulty bearing...and was able to replace it...and install it for another $400. plus bearing and labor. The midwest transmission locator Company refunded me my original $1,000. fee...but I was still out the freight fees and installation fees to two of their used units. FDR

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
That's why we try to buy from our Insight freinds here..I've sold two transmissions and have a 3rd for sale..now..I've bought from our members on here..we all try to do the right thing.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Can you say Scott? That would be my solution. But I live close enough to SoCal that I would do the two day drive and have Scott (KLR3CYL) do the job and know it has been done right. Then I can visit the Mullin Museum, visit friends in SoCal and then in NoCal on the way back home. Other option would be to buy the transmission from Scott and have it installed up here. But I would miss out on the drive and visiting friends.

You have painfully illustrated why to stay away from folks outside this little community of Insight owners and proven supporters.

·
Super Moderator
7,274 Posts
@dickroos, not to lecture too much, but the MT is one of the weak parts of the car. The chances of finding a good one in a junk yard are very slim.

You were lucky to find a competent mechanic who could repair your original. The only current assured fix of the MT is Scott of Jue Motors in Covina. Anyone who has watched him rebuild one at the various Insight meets always comes away impressed with the care and professional tecnique he demonstrates. He is well worth the shipping if you can't get your car to him:)

·
Super Moderator
439 Posts
Last year my 2000 Insight started making a growling sound, even at idle (and would go away if clutch pushed in). I considered a used tranny via ebay (around $500.)...but decided to go with a used transmission search Company giving a Guarantee (for about $1,000.) They shipped me one...I had my local Honda mechanic install it ($400.) only to discover that it was faulty. So I had to have it pulled out of my Insight, and I had to pay freight to have it shipped back to the mid-west Company (But that Company would not send me the guarantee replacement until I sent them back the faulty one. They sent me the second tranny...I had to pay another $400. to my mechanic to have it installed...only to find that that tranny was worse than the first (grinding to get it in a gear or two. So, I had to have my mechanic pull that one so I could send it back for a third unit (again having to pay return freight of about $100.). However, my mechanic took my original transmission apart...found the faulty bearing...and was able to replace it...and install it for another $400. plus bearing and labor. The midwest transmission locator Company refunded me my original $1,000. fee...but I was still out the freight fees and installation fees to two of their used units. FDR
You should consider posting the name of this sham company so we can know to avoid them.

Shameless plug for a friend time:
Scott (KLR3CYL) in Covina, CA rebuilds these transmissions for $800 (IIRC), and that involves a complete teardown. Every part is washed and cleaned. Every bearing inside the transmission is replaced with new ones from Honda. The first and second gear synchronizers are modified to fix the common grinding problem. When Scott is done, it's basically like a brand new transmission inside.

Scott has a crate he uses to ship these transmissions across the country. Typically he will ship you a rebuilt one first and then you will ship your core back to him.

Obviously, shipping is not included in the figure I quoted above. Expect to budget about $325 round trip for that if you live east of the Mississippi. Additionally if you transmission is so far gone it has started to pop out of gear, you will likely need to buy a core.

If you are looking for a more budget option and are comfortable with with removing the transmission from the car and opening the transmission, you can ship just the input shaft, countershaft and differential to Scott for a rebuild too.

If you are within driving distance of Covina, CA, the shop Scott works at, Jue Motors, charges $450 for a transmission in-and-out with alignment.

The point is, if you need your transmission rebuilt and you want the job done right, talk to Scott.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts