Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not inclined to do so, but someone probably wanted to fuel an Insight to natural gas. It would be almost zero emissions with unlimited range. Another advantage is less gunk buildup in the engine.

Heard of anyone trying this?

· Registered
245 Posts
I manage a fleet of CNG vehciles at the Prison I work at and have had the same idea of a possable CNG Insight. Why not, Honda offers a CNG Civic. That would put Honda way ahead of the game for sure. The main draw back would be the infrastructure for refueling, plus the lower MPG you tend to get with CNG. as for a self induced retrofit from gasoline to CNG not really a practical idea due to the many changes for CNG. IE: Placement of tank, injector changes, fuel monitoring system and integrating the IMA system to function in conjunction with CNG.
FYI are you aware the State of Cailfornia has Insights available as a Pool vehicles in the Sacrament and Los Angles state garages for State Agencies to utilize? They were also offered for agencies to purchase off of the last state contract.

· Registered
228 Posts
Someone over on the yahoo! group posted they took the care to a shop that does CNG conversions - they were told it couldn't be done. It would be a totally pollution free vehicle. You have to remember that you don't get as much power from CNG - that in itself would be a major drawback - I think you'd need a much larger IMA.

· Registered
2,127 Posts
I have been doing petrol vapor or heated gasoline since July 2 . I Use a propane tank nozzle to adjust vapor entering the fuel rail. I really like it. Also tried a 15 pound pressure regulator for propane it is too restrictive .but I would imagine 20 to 25 would be fine.

· Premium Member
2000 Silver M/T
1,320 Posts
What size tank(s) and where are you putting them?
I have a few 13 GGE (I think they are 13's) that were removed from an F-150. I'm having a partial roll cage constructed to support it, as it will be mounted directly behind the seats.
On that note, if anyone else wants to take a stab at this, I'll give you a tank. It's the most expensive part of the conversion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.