Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not inclined to do so, but someone probably wanted to fuel an Insight to natural gas. It would be almost zero emissions with unlimited range. Another advantage is less gunk buildup in the engine.

Heard of anyone trying this?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I manage a fleet of CNG vehciles at the Prison I work at and have had the same idea of a possable CNG Insight. Why not, Honda offers a CNG Civic. That would put Honda way ahead of the game for sure. The main draw back would be the infrastructure for refueling, plus the lower MPG you tend to get with CNG. as for a self induced retrofit from gasoline to CNG not really a practical idea due to the many changes for CNG. IE: Placement of tank, injector changes, fuel monitoring system and integrating the IMA system to function in conjunction with CNG.
FYI are you aware the State of Cailfornia has Insights available as a Pool vehicles in the Sacrament and Los Angles state garages for State Agencies to utilize? They were also offered for agencies to purchase off of the last state contract.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Someone over on the yahoo! group posted they took the care to a shop that does CNG conversions - they were told it couldn't be done. It would be a totally pollution free vehicle. You have to remember that you don't get as much power from CNG - that in itself would be a major drawback - I think you'd need a much larger IMA.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Yea I know it's a very old post, but has anyone converted an Insight to CNG since then? Picked up a CNG car of another make recently and was just wondering.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'd assume the ecu would have issues with the o2 sensor reading the air fuel ratio.
I want to do hho on mine but same thing the ecu reading a mixture and trying to adjust. I've done lto conversion and turbo soon and hch final drive.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I have been doing petrol vapor or heated gasoline since July 2 . I Use a propane tank nozzle to adjust vapor entering the fuel rail. I really like it. Also tried a 15 pound pressure regulator for propane it is too restrictive .but I would imagine 20 to 25 would be fine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would not want CNG in an Insight the pressures they use is around 3000 psi. I would consider LP but not CNG. Our agency had full size vans that used CNG and did away with them very quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
funny that this thread got necroposted, I'm in the process of an Insight CNG conversion at the moment. 3000 PSI is on the low end, most are 3600 PSI.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
What size tank(s) and where are you putting them?
I have a few 13 GGE (I think they are 13's) that were removed from an F-150. I'm having a partial roll cage constructed to support it, as it will be mounted directly behind the seats.
On that note, if anyone else wants to take a stab at this, I'll give you a tank. It's the most expensive part of the conversion.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Would you not be better LPG? the pressures are much lower and the newer systems are very good I spent years installing them and am considering doing mine at the moment

·
Registered
13 Posts
CNG is much cheaper than LPG. Both are also much higher octane than gasoline, so would be well suited to a turbo.

·
Registered
165 Posts
CNG is much cheaper than LPG. Both are also much higher octane than gasoline, so would be well suited to a turbo.
Not in the UK CNG is virtually unobtainable LPG is under half the price of petrol and has only a small loss of MPG and with modern systems no loss of performance

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not in the UK CNG is virtually unobtainable LPG is under half the price of petrol and has only a small loss of MPG and with modern systems no loss of performance
Nice!! Here in the US LPG is significantly more expensive than petrol, but CNG at least 30% up to 50% cheaper than petrol.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nice!! Here in the US LPG is significantly more expensive than petrol, but CNG at least 30% up to 50% cheaper than petrol.
I am considering converting my insight as I have kit spare, trouble is the other half's CRZ would be a better conversion I suspect, I will look into it and decide next spring when its a tad warmer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts